New here but not to the forum

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
JackWade

New here but not to the forum

Post by JackWade »

Hey all,
I’ve been reading the forum for years and finally joined. Picked up a 2006 back in 7/23.

I really enjoy driving it. Love the space, firm seats and head room. Also, the sounds with the moon and tunes set-up.

Before I purchased the Vibe, the prior owner fixed a few things. One was replacing the Cat but the P0420 code came back later. Fixed by replacing the O2 sensor with a Denso.

A little later, I got a P0171. Fixed that with an intake manifold gasket.

For a long time, I had a P2103. The prior owner had already replaced the throttle body with an integrated TPS. Was interesting, because the car would throw the code only in below freezing temps. I did have throttle issues especially at stops/lights. Fixed by replacing the original TPS connector.

The oil cap was leaking so replaced that. Fixed.

Next projects:
Timing chain tensioner is now starting to leak oil. Not sure yet if I’ll replace the whole part or just the o-ring.

I also have some hiss coming from the front right speaker or amp. [turns off 2 seconds after stereo is off so I’m thinking amp] I believe my android stereo has a pre-amp so hopefully it’s just some tuning needed.

My HVAc air inlet actuator was also unplugged. After plugging in, I hear a ticking behind the dash. My understanding is the plastic gear is probably broken. I plan to replace that part through just the glove box.

Besides that, the car has been great. There’s some roof damage from surf boards and Florida sun. I was hoping to cover it with that side splash sticker material shown by the rear wheels but can’t find anything similar. Not going to bother with vinyl wrap
or paint.

Thanks for reading and for posting all those great maintenance tips.
2006 1.8 1ZZ-FE Moonstone gray with all options such as Moon & tunes package
JackWade

Re: New here but not to the forum

Post by JackWade »

I managed to replace the timing chain tensioner last week. Took about 40min. Used the fly wheel vs opening up the valve cover. Clicked in place first try.
2006 1.8 1ZZ-FE Moonstone gray with all options such as Moon & tunes package