Running Lights Out along with Thermostat and Dimmer

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
amuzik

Running Lights Out along with Thermostat and Dimmer

Post by amuzik »

Hello All!

My 2007 Vibe was in a collision a few weeks back on the left front fender and headlight. Just got it back yesterday from the repair shop and it looks good as new!

However, last night I discovered the dimmer dial does not work and the speedometer and fuel gauge lights are at full brightness all the time. The lights for the thermostat and controls are out as well as the rear running lights and license plate lights.

Brake lights still work as well as backup lights.

Found a number of posts in these forums with similar symptoms.

The "Tail" 15 amp fuse under the steering wheel was blown. I've replaced it 3 times and I can hear a click which I assume is the fuse blowing when I start the car. My daytime running lights automatically come on. Engaging the emergency brake with the car off and starting the car does not prevent the headlights from coming on even when switched off so I haven't isolated if the new headlamp is the issue. I will try unplugging the bulb with a new fuse and see if it holds.

I checked that the Tail Relay had not worked itself loose by accessing it through the glovebox and even went so far as to replace the relay with a new one.

I took out my aftermarket radio which had been installed several years ago to see if any wires had come loose like suggested from other posts. All was clean there.

So now I'm back to the new left front headlamp. Could something be wrong there with the new one that could be causing this issue?

*Resolution - I took it back today for the shop to look for anything off either their work. Thanks to a previous post on this forum of someone with almost ex actor scenario I had; my guy took off the bumper and found the socket itself of the new lamp was defective. Mysterious that the headlights still worked but I guess goes to show electrical in cars can be oddly interconnected. Hope that helps someone else!
Attachments
IMG_0447_a.jpg
IMG_0447_a.jpg (279.88 KiB) Viewed 49 times
image_67215873_a.jpg
image_67215873_a.jpg (698.89 KiB) Viewed 53 times
image_50438657_a.jpg
image_50438657_a.jpg (770.68 KiB) Viewed 53 times
image_50419201.JPG
image_50419201.JPG (996.07 KiB) Viewed 53 times