Frigid Weather Ignition Lock Seems to be Frozen, Literally

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
muttleytm

Frigid Weather Ignition Lock Seems to be Frozen, Literally

Post by muttleytm »

I have 2003 Vibe. I assume this would be the same thing for a Matrix Corolla and many others.

It is very cold. I ran the car last night with no problems. I park on the street where it is flat. Because of all the snow I sort of rammed into some deep snow and went back and forth a little so I would be more likely to get out later. So the front wheels might sort of have a little pressure on them as they might have moved a little one way or the other because of ice.

I can't turn the ignition key. I know sometimes if there is some tension on the wheels you can't turn the key but if you slowly turn the steering wheel into the tension and turn the key you can find a spot where things aren't binding and the key can turn.

I have started warming the inside of the car up with a heat gun. It is still cold outside though and will be getting colder.

I think I may be making some progress. The key is in the lock position and if I more the steering wheel a little the key can move a little and I hear a click and I can also get it into the ACC position. That is why I'm thinking it is frozen rather than tension on the wheels.

So anyone with any suggestions or knowledge of this I'd like to hear it.

Also, assuming it is the ignition lock being literally frozen from ice what and where do I spray something in to displace the water/ice. I know WD40 is for water displacement, but that was for the electronics of missiles not lock mechanisms. I hear very loudly not to use if for that. So what would I use. If I get the car warm and thawed out it is still some ways out before the weather warms up or it could easily happen again.

I also don't know if this is what the problem is. whether it is the ignition switch lock mechanism or the mechanism from it to the steering wheel lock (although it doesn't see the wheel is locked as I can move it a bit). I don't know what the insides of either of these things are like.

I get a little confused because I had something similar a number of years ago with a different car in the frigid cold. I couldn't turn the switch or move the shift lever even with the override. Something in the works for that must have gotten some water in it and it was frozen solid until it thawed out.

I can't move the shift lever in this car unless I move the key, (or is it a foot on the brake?), but if I used the override I can move it freely.
tommytipover

Re: Frigid Weather Ignition Lock Seems to be Frozen, Literally

Post by tommytipover »

It's possible the grease in either the lock cylinder, or the steering lock has thickened. Maybe an electric space heater and a long extension cord out to the interior of the car? I had a friend once put his hot air popcorn popper in his car. :D The other possibility is the front wheels are frozen to the ground or jammed up with snow?
tommytipover
2003 base 5spd.
muttleytm

Post by muttleytm »

I tried warming the car up the first day. I didn't get started until afternoon The first hour of that did noting as it was so cold the extension cord got very stiff and in brushing by it pulled out of receptacle. Did plug it in later but abandoned that task on that day.

I did more searching and found squirting alcohol in should both thaw the ice (can"t be much) and displace the water. it worked fine, just took a couple seconds.

WD-40 will displace water too (that is what it was originally made for), but I don't know if it will thaw frozen water. It sounds though like it leaves a residue of some sort that is not good for lock mechanisms. Lot's of warnings not to do it.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

The alcohol sounds like a good idea. I was stumped by your problem.

I hope it's fine now. Thanks for reporting back.