Constant Door Chime with no key in ignition, auto lights on

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
dcb0ys09

Constant Door Chime with no key in ignition, auto lights on

Post by dcb0ys09 »

2007 Pontiac Vibe,

Yesterday I went to open the door to get out and a constant chime was going off. There was no key in the ignition that is more of a repeating beep, this was a constant chime. If I turned the auto headlights off the chime went away. The auto lights have been on for the last 10 years, I've never seen this. I left the auto lights on closed the door and the next day the battery was dead. I am not even sure what to look up for this, it's as if the auto lights are acting as if the lights are ON and im opening the door even though they are set to auto.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
joatmon

Re: Constant Door Chime with no key in ignition, auto lights on

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to genvibe

The headlight switch has three positions, on, tail, and off. The off position is actually inappropriately named, it should be auto. In the off position, you get daytime running lights with auto full headlights if its dark enough. In the ON position, you got full headlights all the time. There was no way to turn the headlights off completely when the engine was running, that's why there are many threads here about how to disable the auto headlights and DRLs.

If you turn the headlight switch to ON, they will stay on until you turn them back off (or, unfortunately, until the battery dies)

So my guess is that you had auto headlights with the switch in the off position, and for some reason the headlight switch got set to ON yesterday, perhaps the first time in 10 years

but I could be wrong. Hope you got it jumped ok, and see if you get auto headlights when the switch is set to OFF