Removing marks from 2006 rear window

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
GregLatiak

Removing marks from 2006 rear window

Post by GregLatiak »

We suspect that the grandkids scribbled on the back windows with something. There are faint (but quite visible in some light) marks on the inside of both rear door windows. Have tried everything we can think of but nothing seems to touch them. Even our local detailer failed. My go to favorites are acetone and lab grade isopropanol. Wondering if grit on the crayon (or whatever) marred the glass surface. Open to suggestions of course, but curious if the heavy factory tint on these windows is in the glass itself or a film applique on the inside surface. If its in the glass then maybe my Dremel and some polishing compound? Would welcome any thoughts or observations on this small but annoying problem.

Thanks.
SSizler

Re: Removing marks from 2006 rear window

Post by SSizler »

Zaino Glass Polish has worked best for me in the past for cleaning up glass problems:

https://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-12.html

It is only available online or from authorized Zaino dealers.
It is not in retail stores.
I actually use almost all of the Zaino products with great results.
2003 Vibe Base/ Frosty White Mono/ Total Loss 1-23
2006 Vibe AWD/ Lava Red Mono/ Loaded w/Leather and Sport Pkg/ 150k mi
2006 Vibe Base/ Stealth Gray Mono/ Loaded w/Leather/ 180k mi
40 years with a wonderful woman / 2 adult kids
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

GregLatiak wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:21 am curious if the heavy factory tint on these windows is in the glass itself or a film applique on the inside surface.
I'm inclined to assume its a film instead of darker glass, but don't know a good way to tell without scratching the glass somewhere you can't normally see. Maybe take the car to a place that does window tinting and ask them.
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

GregLatiak wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2023 6:21 am curious if the heavy factory tint on these windows is in the glass itself or a film applique on the inside surface.
The 2003-2008 Vibe/Matrix didn't come with OEM smoked glass. If they are dark, it's an aftermarket film that has been applied.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport