Adding USB port to 2010 Vibe near rearview mirror?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Waynosan

Adding USB port to 2010 Vibe near rearview mirror?

Post by Waynosan »

Hi all,
I'm trying to add a USB port near the rearview mirror in my 2010 Vibe for use with a dashcam. I'm currently running an unsightly wire down to the lighter plug to power the dashcam, which I would like to get rid of.

I made the incorrect assumption that the Onstar mirror would have an ignition 12V line in the 16 pin connector, which it does not. There's one wire (pin 10) that has a 9.8V output, but it's insufficient voltage to run the 12V-to-5V USB buck converter I bought. The closest 12V that I can grab would be the one that powers the map lights, but it appears to be always on, so that's a no-go. :/

I'm concerned about running an ignition 12V line from the fusebox through the A-pillar, because I don't want to get lashed in the face by wire should the A-pillar airbag ever go off.

Looking for suggestions/recommendations...
andrewclaus

Re: Adding USB port to 2010 Vibe near rearview mirror?

Post by andrewclaus »

Waynosan wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:53 pm ...because I don't want to get lashed in the face by wire should the A-pillar airbag ever go off....
Sorry, no good ideas here, but congratulations on thinking of this. It took me years to keep my wife from putting her feet up on the passenger side airbag when I drove, and I'm still working on her keeping her hands off the top of the steering wheel when she drives.

Could you come up the B post, through the trim and over to the mirror? Like I said, no good ideas.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Waynosan wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:53 pm The closest 12V that I can grab would be the one that powers the map lights, but it appears to be always on, so that's a no-go. :/
If there's a 12v constant hot, and another 12v ign only hot, then simply install a micro relay to where it will switch the "always hot" off when the car is turned off. I'll have to look in my manuals later to see the wiring and better guide you. Something to consider anyways.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Surprised that there's no +12V going to the mirror, but found viewtopic.php?t=45437 where Macgyver had to run a 12V line up the A pillar on his 09.

Does the A pillar trim pop off and reveal the airbag inside or is it integral to the A pillar trim? Any way to run a wire between the airbag and the A pillar, so a deploying airbag would be between you and the wire?
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Do you have a sunroof? Even if you don't. the wiring for one might still be there. If so, you'll have a definite switched 12v source.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
Waynosan

Post by Waynosan »

SlammedNiss wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 12:07 am Do you have a sunroof? Even if you don't. the wiring for one might still be there. If so, you'll have a definite switched 12v source.
No sunroof but there's 12V to the map and dome lights. Do you know where the sunroof connector is located? Might save me from having to splice.

joatmon wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 11:18 am Surprised that there's no +12V going to the mirror, but found viewtopic.php?t=45437 where Macgyver had to run a 12V line up the A pillar on his 09.

Does the A pillar trim pop off and reveal the airbag inside or is it integral to the A pillar trim? Any way to run a wire between the airbag and the A pillar, so a deploying airbag would be between you and the wire?
I was surprised by lack of +12V too. I do not have a service manual and am hesitant to try to remove the A-pillar trim w/o knowing how, for fear of damaging it.
tpollauf wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:09 am
Waynosan wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 1:53 pm The closest 12V that I can grab would be the one that powers the map lights, but it appears to be always on, so that's a no-go. :/
If there's a 12v constant hot, and another 12v ign only hot, then simply install a micro relay to where it will switch the "always hot" off when the car is turned off. I'll have to look in my manuals later to see the wiring and better guide you. Something to consider anyways.
Do you have a recommendation for a micro-relay? I'm wondering if the addition of a relay + DC/DC + map lights will end up exceeding the current rating on the map light 12V wire... it looks super thin. I can check to see if the dome light wire gauge is larger...
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Waynosan wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:41 amNo sunroof but there's 12V to the map and dome lights. Do you know where the sunroof connector is located? Might save me from having to splice.
Tbh, I'm not familiar with the 2009-201? models. I know in both of my 2003's and my 2008, the sunroof controls and the map lights were in the same module right above the rear view mirror. No idea if all cars were pre-ran with wiring whether or not they had the features. But if it was, I imagine you would find it if you pulled the headliner down right above the rear view.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
Waynosan

Post by Waynosan »

SlammedNiss wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:45 am
Waynosan wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:41 amNo sunroof but there's 12V to the map and dome lights. Do you know where the sunroof connector is located? Might save me from having to splice.
Tbh, I'm not familiar with the 2009-201? models. I know in both of my 2003's and my 2008, the sunroof controls and the map lights were in the same module right above the rear view mirror. No idea if all cars were pre-ran with wiring whether or not they had the features. But if it was, I imagine you would find it if you pulled the headliner down right above the rear view.
I only pulled the maplights out. Not sure how the headliner is attached and would prefer to not tear into it too much to avoid the droopy headliner syndrome that I see on many older cars. :D