2009 VIbe 170km, worth it?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
stoolin

2009 VIbe 170km, worth it?

Post by stoolin »

Seller is asking for $5000 Canadian. About $3700US.

I currently own a 2004 Vibe with 280Km.
I've really loved this car. Mechanically has been great, no major repairs. AC died a few years ago so that never got fixed.

My question, is the 2009 worth this? Do the 2009 models have any issues from earlier models.
What are things to look for if I want to take a test drive or let a mechanic look at it?

thanks in advance.
tpollauf

Re: 2009 VIbe 170km, worth it?

Post by tpollauf »

Stoolman ...... Depending on the trim level, here's what to look for. 2.4L engines may burn some oil. Of the two 2009's in my fleet (both GT trim so they have the bigger engine), one burns oil at what I'd consider an excessive rate. One quart per 1500-2000 miles and currently sits at 175K miles. The other burns ZERO oil and only has 40K miles. Airbag recall been done yet, and if so how bad did they destroy the dashboard? These are not easy tasks on the 2nd generation of Vibes/Matrices. Radio knobs break all the time, so aftermarket changeouts are popular with this line. Hope some of this helps. If not totally rotted out underneath, then that price seems reasonable. I'm sold/convinced on the RustChek/Krown undercarriage treatment available up your way. Was this treatment applied to this car? Had it done to my 2014 Silverado and worth every penny ... although a bit messy.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
stoolin

Post by stoolin »

Thank you for the reply. Some things to think about!
finebead

Post by finebead »

I have a 2009 base, 120K miles. Mine uses oil, about a quart every 1,500 miles. They came out of the factory that way, not a wear issue. My radio knobs broke, there was a topic somewhere how to remove the radio and use quick set epoxy to glue the knob back on. I did that, still have the radio, the knob never broke again. They did the airbag recall at a chevy dealer, they did a good job, can't tell. They didn't put the steering wheel back straight, took it back and got it perfect. It's a nice little car, can seat a tall person with the high roof, and with the back seats down it holds lots of stuff. I bought mine new, it was our second Vibe.