P1693 code...

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
DopeVibeGT

P1693 code...

Post by DopeVibeGT »

This was posted before but no real answers were given. Mine just started doing this. 03 Pontiac Vibe GT with 120k on it. It goes up and goes into lift, but starts sputtering and throws the P1693 code. Other than that, if I dont try to go into lift, it's fine. I do get a P0420 code, but thats the cat. Could it be just the screen needs cleaned? At only 120k? The oil level is fine. Maybe a sensor? My scan tool says it's a tach wire or something??
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. 8-)
Pictures of my ride!!'03 Vibe GTMy AED GA!Work in progress
zbyers

Re: P1693 code...

Post by zbyers »

Out of curiosity, are you running premium? 91+ Octane.

How's the oil condition and/or level?

A few other forums recommended this NewCelica guide for cleaning the lift filters/screens.

If you don't hit lift often, don't drive it often, do extended oil change intervals, etc. it is possible those filters got gummed up.

https://www.newcelica.org/threads/vvt-i ... de.250432/
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

The oil level is fine and hasnt been that long between changes. It's about due for an oil change about now. I've always used 93 or 91. Im gonna try oil change andcleaning that screen/filter. If that doesnt do it, i'll try the two sensors there.
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

Ok, changing the oil now. If it still does it and I have to clean the screen, is it ok to drive the car as long as I stay under 6200? It's basically my daily driver. I would assume it would be ok because it's still getting oil to the engine. Thanks! 8-)

UPDATE! Well, that seems to have fixed it. She's screaming up to 8200 again with no sputtering. I love easy fixes. Just curious as why the old oil wouldnt let her kick in. :?
jolt

Post by jolt »

Oil flow...the new oil may be more free flowing then your old oil was. Oil thickens up as it gets old and the additives get used up in the oil. Also the heat and breakdown of old oil see the lighter hydrocarbons burn off, which thicken the oil too. The thicker oil will not flow through the partially restricted oil screens but now does with the new oil.

It could be that the oil was not up to temp and was thicker before when the code was generated. You do not want to be hitting these high RPM's with liquids that are not up to temperature. I would pull the screens and make sure they are clean, as this could be an indication that the screens are restricted, and you may want to change your motor oil sooner then you have been.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

attached are the three pages from the book for P1693

readable, but not the best quality
Attachments
554.jpg
554.jpg (150.32 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
553.jpg
553.jpg (203.83 KiB) Viewed 1558 times
552.jpg
552.jpg (234.58 KiB) Viewed 1558 times