Need oil change advice

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Lefty

Need oil change advice

Post by Lefty »

I have a 2004 Vibe with about 93,500 miles on it and have only driven it 3,555 miles in the past year. I'd like to follow the manufacturer's recommendations about oil changes but have been having difficulties doing that. I'm 82 years old and don't feel capable of doing it myself and the nearest dealer is too far away to take the Vibe in for oil changes.

Last year I took it to a Sears auto shop and the mechanic said if I wanted the oil recommended in the manual I should take the car to a dealer. Tomorrow I have an appointment for an oil change at a chain (Monroe) repair place that advertises oil changes (plus brake inspection, battery check and tire rotation) for $19.99 with an upgrade to "Synthetic Blend" oil for an extra $12. So should I go for the "Synthetic Blend?" And is it likely that the synthetic blend will meet "GM Standard GM6094M" (and if not does that really matter?).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
MacGyver

Re: Need oil change advice

Post by MacGyver »

Some full synthetic oils can go a whole year before changes if you don't drive further than the distance the oil is rated for. Normal oil, only 6 months. Not sure what oil is available in your area but your car is so far out of warranty there's no benefit to taking it to a dealer.
2009 Vibe Base
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Your oil filler cap has the required oil printed on it, similar to the image below. It's also listed in the owner's manual.

There is an API code [API SL] on the cap that is the minimum required. Any 5W-30 with at least "API SL" (SM and SN too) will be fine- you don't need anything unique to GM. The GM spec you cite is met by any API-SL or API-SM rated 5W-30 oil.

While synthetic is typically "better" performance and protection, I'm not sure I'd pay an extra $12 for a 'blend'. Based on how little you're driving, you should be fine with regular "dino" oil as long as you do an annual oil change.

Check Monro for coupons: http://www.monro.com/promotions-coupons
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I would ignore the "blend" and its associated costs. While a full synthetic offers better protection, especially if you don't drive that often (I won't get into the 'science' of it here), a blend is not worth the extra cost in my opinion. Also, I understand it may not be easy for you, but make sure to double check their work. I've heard countless horror stories (and even experienced one with a brand new car back in '95 that resulted in a motor swap) about oil change places, especially the 'cheaper' ones. Here's a quick checklist.

1. Of course, check your oil level. Make sure they didn't under or overfill, which can be just as damaging.

2. Check to be sure they replaced the actual oil cap and screwed it on properly. While doing this, check the metal oil baffle just inside the opening of the cap where you add oil for any damage.

3. If it's too hard for you to look under your car at your oil filter and oil pan drain bolt for leaks, then at least be sure to check under your car for any leaks the next time you move the car.

Good luck.
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Thanks for all the good advice. Most of the numbers and letters on the oil cap have worn off but I did get 5W30 SN oil. Didn't see the advice not to get the synthetic blend until after my visit to Monro, so I did go for that. Will check to see that all is in order. Thanks again.
BenWA

Post by BenWA »

I put Mobil 1 High Mileage 5W30 in mine, and will do an annual oil change since I don't drive a lot, mostly. I have very low annual miles on average.
2003 Vibe Base A/T