Wheel Question

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
CHSurvivor

Wheel Question

Post by CHSurvivor »

Hi, I have an 03 VIBErator and I seen 09 Vibe wheels online for sale...will they fit?
Also would Cobalt/HHR wheels fit?
What other Gm wheels fit?

Thank you kindly
vibenvy

Re: Wheel Question

Post by vibenvy »

The 2009 Vibe wheels will only fit your 2003 Vibe if the Vibe they came off of has the 1.8L engine. If it has the 2.4L engine, they will not fit.

all 2003-2008 Vibes = 5x100 bolt pattern

2009-2010 Vibe 1.8L Base = 5x100 bolt pattern
2009-2010 Vibe 2.4L Base / AWD / GT = 5x114.3 bolt pattern
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
CHSurvivor

Post by CHSurvivor »

thank you....does any other GM/Toyota wheel fit? years?
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Pontiac Sunbirds / Sunfires and Chevrolet Cavaliers have a 5x100 bolt pattern. Older Scion tCs also have a 5x100 bolt pattern.

I'm sure if you do a search for 5x100 bolt pattern, you should be able to find out which vehicles share the Vibe's bolt pattern and from there you should be able to figure out which vehicle's wheels you could use.
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

2000-mid 2000s VWs (with 5x100) are a great choice for wheels that will fit early Vibes. New Beetle, Golf, Jetta, etc. Not Passat, they have the larger pattern.
trb

Post by trb »

There are several other variables you have to consider when trying out wheels from other cars on yours. One thing you have to make sure about also is the hub diameter. This is the center hole in the wheel, and they are different sizes on different cars, so you should get one with the same size hole. Remember, smaller will not fit!

Also, the backspacing and offset are important. How far out the wheel mounting point is from the back of the wheel is backspacing. The distance from the mounting point from the center of the wheel when looking at the edge is the offset. If you get wheels that are not correct, they could either hit the suspension when you install them, or stick out too much and hit the fenders. Most front wheel drive cars have similar backspacing and offset though. The Vibe wheels are all in the 35- 40mm range for offset and about 5"- 5.5" backspacing. Now this is not something easy to determine by looking at a wheel unless it is labeled, so the best way to tell is to try a wheel on your car to see if it fits. You can look up aftermarket wheels online for the information, and if the same wheel will fit both the other car and a Vibe, they should fit fine. Or take a wheel off of yours and measure the backspacing and center hole to compare to the new wheels. As long as the backspacing is within 1/2", you should be OK.

Also keep in mind the kind of lug nuts needed to mount the wheels. Many wheels use tapered or conical lug nuts and the have angled lug nut holes. Other, like most Toyota wheels use mag style lug nuts and have a flat surface around the lug nut hole that use a flat edge on the lug nut and a washer to mount the wheels. just something else to consider.

I hope I didn't totally confuse you, but you need to be informed about wheels when looking to mount ones from some other car on yours.

Good luck!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
CHSurvivor

Post by CHSurvivor »

Wow, thank you very much for the informative explanation. I sincerely appreciate it. I looked at a set of aftermarket wheels I was interested in purchasing. I asked the fellow and he said he sold the car and doesn't know which motor it had in it. Its a long drive for me to go"try" one on. Plus winter driving....so its a 50/50 shot.
I have seen some newer Vibe wheels, high polished aluminum from GM but as you say....might be for 2.4....
Ill have to keep looking !
again many kind thank yous :)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

CHSurvivor wrote:I have seen some newer Vibe wheels, high polished aluminum from GM but as you say....might be for 2.4....
All 2009-2010 1.8L Vibes only came with 16" steel wheels and wheel covers. 2009-2010 2.4L Base and AWD Vibes came with either 16" steel wheels and wheel covers or 1 of 2 different styles of 17" aluminum wheels. 2009-2010 GT Vibes came with 18" aluminum wheels.

If the wheels are polished and are indeed OEM, they will not fit your 1st gen Vibe.