Will this Hood Damper kit fit?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
mesohungry

Will this Hood Damper kit fit?

Post by mesohungry »

I have a 2004 Base vibe.
Hood prop was missing when I bought the vibe a few months back and I ordered a new one along with the grommet.
There's damage where the grommet is supposed to be inserted so I can't get it in there properly. Hood prop is loose but works fine. I just have to be careful not to lose the prop like the previous owner did. :(

Figured if this kit works, I won't have to deal with the hood prop anymore.
I saw a post about someone else using a kit so I thought I'd ask if these are compatible.

http://www.ftoemperformance.com/hood-da ... black.html
KITT222

Re: Will this Hood Damper kit fit?

Post by KITT222 »

I'm probably the one with the hood dampers you saw (love 'em). This kit is similar to what I got for my car:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-05-06-07- ... 91&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tip: instead of using the fender bolt that's already there (as per instructions) find two washers and a nut that fits the ballstud, and put the ballstud in the hole above the fender bolt. It will give you more space under the hood to work.
mesohungry

Post by mesohungry »

Thanks for the link.
Yes, your vibe is the one I saw with the kit installed.
I just ordered the ones you linked to.
Glad I won't have to deal with the hood prop rod for much longer.

Oh, and thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to do that. :)
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

I wonder if these will work on the 09-10 Vibe hoods OR is there a completely different part number. They got to be extremely close if not the same. Hood weight should be within a pound or so also. Just curious :?
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Well the closed length is a little over 15" ball to ball, while open length is a little less than 20" ball to ball, and the upper ball mounts to the upper hood mount...
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

KITT222 wrote:Well the closed length is a little over 15" ball to ball, while open length is a little less than 20" ball to ball, and the upper ball mounts to the upper hood mount...
For the price, what have I got to lose. I may order a pair and give it a shot! Then if/when successful, do a write up here for other 09/10 Vibe owners :)

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

tpollauf wrote:For the price, what have I got to lose. I may order a pair and give it a shot! Then if/when successful, do a write up here for other 09/10 Vibe owners :)
That would be awesome Tim, especially if they work! I would definitely add these to my to-do list for our Vibes!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

vibenvy wrote: That would be awesome Tim, especially if they work! I would definitely add these to my to-do list for our Vibes!
Just placed the order :D Should have them by mid week so look for a report from me by next weekend at the latest!

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

tpollauf wrote:Just placed the order :D Should have them by mid week so look for a report from me by next weekend at the latest!
Woo hoo! I'll be anxiously awaiting an update from you! Thanks for being the guinea pig for us 2nd gen owners Tim!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
mesohungry

Post by mesohungry »

I finally got around to opening up the kit and test fitted it in the default location.
The hood only opens half way. :o

Gonna have to make a trip to the hardware store and pick up washers & nuts as recommended.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

vibenvy wrote:
tpollauf wrote:Just placed the order :D Should have them by mid week so look for a report from me by next weekend at the latest!
Woo hoo! I'll be anxiously awaiting an update from you! Thanks for being the guinea pig for us 2nd gen owners Tim!
Update for us 09-10 Vibe owners.

Well it's not going to be a 15 min job like Nick and others who own the 1st gen Vibes. There are some MAJOR differences which is initially prohibiting me from installing these. The biggest one is the distance from the hood hinge pivot point, to the cowl/hood gasket. This distance is roughly 11" and the furthest bolt on the hood is 8.25" from the pivot point. The cylinder must clear this gasket in order to lay flat when compressed (hood down position). I took lots of measurements and I am going to take an impression (spray foam) of the gaps & void areas with the hood closed so I will know exact tolerances & clearances. Trust me, I will MAKE these work. It just wont be a 15 min job BUT more like a 15 hour job! Once I design and fabricate the necessary hardware to make it work, I'll be able to mass produce more for fellow GV members. Another update in a week or so .......................

mesohungry

Post by mesohungry »

I never did come back to update this post.

I emailed the seller to ask if this was the right kit for my vibe since the hood only opened halfway.
They sent me a replacement kit (from China). The struts in the new kit were about 1/2 inch longer even though it said the exact same product number on the packaging.
Still not satisfied with how low the hood was, I went ahead and picked up the washers and nuts to use the suggested location mentioned here on Genvibe.
End result was a hood that opens up just as high as the original prop rod used to have it.

I'm happy with the results and I have a spare kit. :)

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

mesohungry wrote:I never did come back to update this post.

I'm happy with the results and I have a spare kit. :)
Looks real good :D Also your engine bay looks like new under that hood. You must live in a southern "salt free" climate! So much for another update in a week or so from me :o More like a half-year or so! Been too busy to follow up on this for us 2nd gen Vibe owners. Another winter project to add to my list.

SmokingWill

Post by SmokingWill »

Any update on that hood strut? I became curious today and really want to install one on my 09 Vibe GT