Need help with lowering kit

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
GoodVibes1

Need help with lowering kit

Post by GoodVibes1 »

Can someone please show me a website that sells a 3 inch lowering kit for a pontiac vibe. I have a 2004 pontiac vibe if it makes a difference? I've been searching for two days and can't find where I can buy them. If you know of a place or have any advice can you tell me please.
chevelle_lover

Re: Need help with lowering kit

Post by chevelle_lover »

http://www.canuckmotorsports.com/cat_ca ... ml#Pontiac" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I do not know of a 3" lowering kit for the Vibe but the Canuck Motorsports ones that I put on the my Vibe they did settle out at about 2" lower. You could go with a 1/2 cut coil to give you the third inch.
If God didn’t want us to eat meat, why did he make the cow so slow? (Ever eaten a cheetah-burger? Nope. And you never will.)
NascarXprt

Post by NascarXprt »

the only way to get a 3" drop is one of two ways, 1 cut or modify springs or 2 go with coil overs. but the lowest drop you can get for a vibe is a 2.5" drop. tein s-techs and one other brand i know give you the lowest drop for the cars besides coil overs
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

DO NOT CUT YOUR SPRINGS!

It will jeporadize the structural integrity of the springs and will be dangerous to you and everyone else on the road. Not to mention, it will also give you an absolutely horrible ride.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
revstohigh

Post by revstohigh »

I have a set of no name blue drop springs i got on ebay that claimed a 2,5 drop and turned out to be a 3 inch drop . I can tell you from first hand exp its way way to low , i mean like stupid low !
My oem struts blew out so bad by the 2nd day that they were literally squirting fluid out on every bump .
Also the car sat so low that the suspension was almost bottomed out before you even hit a bump . It was terrible car only had like a half inch of travel and was completely undrivable
03 GT, t3/t40e rear mounted, aem fic,550cc inj, mwr fuel pump, 2 row rad, trd thrmostat, wmr shifter, tokico struts, st springs, progress bars, 17x7 235/45
Raven

Post by Raven »

Tein S-Tech springs and Tokico Struts FTW.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

BC coilovers for a matrix 03-08
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Or Megan coilovers, but I just read that the camber bolt holes have to be modified for them to work.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

revstohigh wrote:...its way way to low , i mean like stupid low....the car sat so low that the suspension was almost bottomed out....car only had like a half inch of travel and was completely undrivable
Makes sense since the Vibe only has about 6" of ground clearance to start with. My complaint with the stock system is the short travel suspension resulting in a harsh ride.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
revstohigh

Post by revstohigh »

The only way to get a vibe lowered more than 2-2.5" without riding like a bread truck and spewing shock fluid every where seems to be with a shortened strut or coil over that are shorter (real coil overs) ( the kind w the strut built in not the sleeve type on ebay lol ) , because any strut meant to be oem fitment will have no travel left, .I looked everywhere and there is no such thing as shortened struts for vibes , and coil overs are big big bucks $ , However it is entirely possible that you could cut the shaft of a standard strut remove an inch or so and weld it back together in a jig , but you would need to keep the heat from reaching the seals otherwise it would ruin and possibly explode the mechanism . this would be great because it would still ride in the middle of the strut causing the ride to be much smoother , and also the spring would be further compressed when it wasn't loaded. anyone with a lowered v ehicle knows when you jack them up the spring usualy sits loose it the asymbly due to the fact that the aftermarket spring sits lower with no weight on it and has a higher spring rate to make up for its lack of unloaded height , causing a firmer/lower stance . but you have to be carefull every time you take it off the lift that the springs settle back to their perch as they should , cheap coil overs are very very bad for this , on my buddies scion xb the rear springs are held in only by the spring being long enough to keep tension , when he lowered it , they would fall out when it was jacked up . he was always afraid it might fall out if he hit a big enough bump lol
03 GT, t3/t40e rear mounted, aem fic,550cc inj, mwr fuel pump, 2 row rad, trd thrmostat, wmr shifter, tokico struts, st springs, progress bars, 17x7 235/45
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Spring falling put isn't really an issue in the vibe

My yaris had NO issues with a 2" drop on the rear torsion beam....its just guys who cut springs or run coilovers without the rear spring perch
candyappleblackvibe

Post by candyappleblackvibe »

Tien S tech....
That's what I got, personally I think its more than 3' if your ok with that......
Only issue is I can't just run over things anymore....
After about 2 years with them I changed the shocks and struts but by then the springs were sagging giving me the best ride ever, amazing handling and more than a 3' drop.......