Automatic Transmission will not shift into gear.

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
toddfather

Automatic Transmission will not shift into gear.

Post by toddfather »

2005 Pontiac Vibe will not shift past reverse. It acts like the shift cable is stuck but I unhooked it from the transmission and it moves freely. I would appreciate any help. Thanks
cq358

Re: Automatic Transmission will not shift into gear.

Post by cq358 »

The shifter is stiff? so tiff that even you force your way through the slot it will start grinding gear?
toddfather

Post by toddfather »

I unhooked the cable from the shifter and then the shifter moved smoothly. When it was hooked up it would not go past reverse and felt like it was going to break the shifter if you kept pulling back. I am guessing it is a internal transmission problem but I thought I would see if anyone else has experienced this issue. Thanks
zythr

Post by zythr »

Have you driven it like this?
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

Eliminating the obvious, did you 1) step on the brake pedal before 2) pushing the shift lever button?
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
toddfather

Post by toddfather »

No it cannot be driven cause it will not go into any gear. I did apply the brake when attempting to put it into gear. Thanks
vibe-a-licious

Post by vibe-a-licious »

there is an emergency lock out switch near the shift lever. have you tried to re-set that? there is a small cover above and to the right of the shift lever. maybe that would help??
Attachments
shift.png
shift.png (202.8 KiB) Viewed 4301 times
2005 Vibe AWD
toddfather

Post by toddfather »

We have done the diagnostics from the service manual and all things point to internal transmission failure. :(
triz

Post by triz »

I highly doubt it. Do as the above post suggest. There is a locking mechanism that frees the shifter. You might just have something called torque lock.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
Advatar042

Post by Advatar042 »

I have a 2004 Pontiac Vibe. I have the same issue Transmission will not shift. all ready check the cable mechanically its fine. I pulled the Fuse for it.. and bam it shifted... but then stopped.. 1 min 6 second average. now you can pull the negative battery terminal and will then start shifting. and then stop. so it sounds like its electronic. but what would I need to check next. any one else have this try taking a battery terminal off reconnect it and try driving it.

Thanks for any advice.