Car has power but won't start

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
cjb2145

Car has power but won't start

Post by cjb2145 »

I saw some threads similar to my problem. I turn the key to start and nothing happens. The lights come on, radio works, blower works, etc. The difference between my problem and those in the other threads is that mine is intermittent. It has happened twice in the last two weeks. The problem didn't start until after I replaced the battery a few weeks ago. I have checked all of the fuses and had the starter checked, everything is good there. If I remove the battery terminals from the battery and leave them off for roughly 30 minutes and then reattach, it starts right up. Any suggestions on what might be the issue and how to remedy it?
star_deceiver

Re: Car has power but won't start

Post by star_deceiver »

Things to check if it doesn't turn over:

Park/Neutral safety switch (if you have an auto)
Clutch safety switch (if you drive stick)

Things to check if it cranks but doesn't start:

Fuel pump
Battery terminals loose (bad connection)
Defective battery
Poor negative battery cable to frame ground
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Is this still your 03 or did you trade for the 05 you were talking about a few months back?

Manual or automatic?

When you say you turn the key and nothing happens, does that mean that the starter never does anything or that the starter turns the engine over but the engine does not start?
cjb2145

Post by cjb2145 »

This is a 2003 with an automatic. The starter will not engage. I have pulled the starter and had it checked, it was good and I tried replacing the Starter relay, which didn't help. I will start working on checking the neutral/safety switch.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

does your car have the security system option?
cjb2145

Post by cjb2145 »

Problem solved. After going through and testing or retesting all the parts in the loop: Neutral safety switch, ignition switch, starter relay, and the starter, it turns out that the starter indeed was bad even though it had passed inspection at Auto Zone just last week. For all of you that replied, thanks for your help.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Glad you got it fixed. I hate it when the car throws those false leads at you. Having it start after disconnecting the battery for half an hour was a really odd condition. Not disputing that it really was that way, just that I don't understand why that would have an effect. Sometimes I think cars just come up with stuff like that to screw with us.