'03 base 1ZZ intake manifold gasket replacement question

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
mntn-biker

'03 base 1ZZ intake manifold gasket replacement question

Post by mntn-biker »

I have an '03 base 1zz with 116k miles on it and plan to replace the intake manifold gasket in the next few days since I have heard they could be prone to failing. Felpro has a gasket (MS 93942) for ~$5 at Advanced Auto Parts but I have also seen on the net that there is also a red colored gasket I think from a Toyota dealer that people have been using also? Is 1 gasket better than the other? If the red colored gasket is better, does anyone have the part number and is it from a Toyota dealer?

On edit: I found the Toyota part number is : 17171-22060 and it is the orange/rust colored one I have been seeing in pics so is this 1 better than the Felpro?

Thanks - Mike
2003 base model
sideshowalan

Re: '03 base 1ZZ intake manifold gasket replacement question

Post by sideshowalan »

Get the Toyota one, they were specifically revised to be more resistant to drying out and cracking. The original ones were black and caused idle problems when they deteriorated.

Mine didn't cost more than $12 at the local dealer.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
mntn-biker

Post by mntn-biker »

Finally was able to make some time to change out the IM gasket. Super simple job to do and it appears as though my winter cold temp warm up idling issue has been solved.
2003 base model
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Glad to hear that it was a a easy job for you ! I think im going to have to replace the gasket myself. We have had some cold whether here in FL....by all means its NOT cold LOL ( 50 -60 degrees) ...I have noticed that the idle drops to around 600 RPMs intermittenly & its very rough. Since it doesnt get very cold here im guessing the warm weather masks the problem. From what I read that its a symptom of the factory gasket going bad. Good to hear its an easy fix !
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
mntn-biker

Post by mntn-biker »

cptnsolo77 wrote:Glad to hear that it was a a easy job for you ! I think im going to have to replace the gasket myself. We have had some cold whether here in FL....by all means its NOT cold LOL ( 50 -60 degrees) ...I have noticed that the idle drops to around 600 RPMs intermittenly & its very rough. Since it doesnt get very cold here im guessing the warm weather masks the problem. From what I read that its a symptom of the factory gasket going bad. Good to hear its an easy fix !
The gasket I used is: Toyota part number: 17171-22060 and it is the orange/rust colored one - bought it from a local Toyota dealer.
2003 base model
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Thanks ! I was able to get the part # from your edited post. How long did the job take ? Any "tricky" areas of the repair?
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
mntn-biker

Post by mntn-biker »

Took me about 3 hours but I also put on a TB spacer plate, different bored out TB, and had to cut down my SRI tube to allow for the spacer thickness. If I had to do the IM gasket only, I would guess it would take 2 hours at the most. Just make sure you put all the vacuum hoses back on. I have heard of some forgetting to put the elusive 1 that is hiding behind the IM. You will know which one I am talking about when you try pulling the IM off after all the bolts are out. 1 tip if you completely pull your TB off. Make sure you have a couple of 5/16" 0r 8mm bolts that you can put in the coolant lines that go to the TB when you pull those off to keep coolant from leaking all over your transaxle. And no, you don't have to drain your engine coolant like the TSB's call out. Just plug those 2 lines and you can use the existing hose clamps to temporarily plug them while you continue disassembly.

This is a super easy fix. I would advise using a torque wrench for this repair as well as all other ones. They can be had pretty inexpensively at Harbor Freight.
Last edited by mntn-biker on Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
2003 base model
mntn-biker

Post by mntn-biker »

Here's a couple How To writeups on doing this repair:

http://www.toyotapart.com/M.I.L._ON_DTC ... 045-07.pdf

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=39659
2003 base model
JohnO

Post by JohnO »

It is not necessary to drain the coolant when removing the intake manifold. I just removed the two hoses at the throttle body connections and plugged them with wooden dowels. Since the hoses are up high on the engine, you won't loose much coolant.
mntn-biker

Post by mntn-biker »

JohnO wrote:It is not necessary to drain the coolant when removing the intake manifold. I just removed the two hoses at the throttle body connections and plugged them with wooden dowels. Since the hoses are up high on the engine, you won't loose much coolant.
That's pretty much what I did but I used a couple of 5/16" bolts to plug the 2 TB coolant lines
2003 base model