best 06 front rotor recommendation

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
04shadowvibe

best 06 front rotor recommendation

Post by 04shadowvibe »

So our 06 AWD has warped the front rotors again at 77k miles. Been changing the rotors once a year due to this issue. Seems like the rotor warps before the pads wear out. They get so warped that it shakes the steering wheel and column when braking. Car is dirven 99.9% of the time by my sister to get to work and go shopping. Ive been running NAPA Ultra Premium rotors and it currently has NAPA Ultra Premium pads. I was using NAPA Adaptive One pads but i switched to the Ultra Premium thinking it was the pads killing my rotors. I am not getting the rotors turned just seems like a waste of time to me only for them to warp again.

Whats the best rotor/pad combo out there for the Vibe? I need something that isnt going to warp every year with 12k miles of use.
2006 Vibe AWD, Platinum/Graphite, Sun and Sound Package - Sisters
2007 Vibe FWD, Neptune/Graphite, Base
PAST - 04 Shadow Base, Moons and Tunes, Monotone, Traded at 23K for the 06 AWD.
Kincaid

Re: best 06 front rotor recommendation

Post by Kincaid »

I haven't bought anything yet for the Vibe but I have had warping on my Civic.

Bought Hawk HPS pads and then the factory rotors warped. I assume because I didn't have a torque wrench that I over tightened the wheels.

So, I ordered Brembo solid rotors off of Amazon for just over $30 each. I also got some Hawk ceramic pads because the HPS pads were so dusty I hated it! About two months later I got around to working on the car, and found the rotors didn't fit! Too late to return them and the car was needed so I ran off to Baxter's and picked up some no-name rotors for just under $30. (I should have just stuck the factory rotor back on and ordered a quality part). Got the new rotors on and the new pads. Used my new torque wrench to properly tighten everything down. Within two weeks the new rotors were warped. Cheap crap!

This time I ordered Centric rotors and again they cost about $30 each. What I like about them (other than that they did not warp) is that they are electrocoated inside the vents and on the hub - everywhere that is not a friction surface. No rust! They are working great.

Oh yeah, turns out the low dust ceramic pads are almost just as dusty. The HPS pads are better performers.

So, my recommendation is the Centric rotor (or any other rotor from a quality brand that is painted or coated, and Hawk HPS pads.

Maybe this one?

http://www.amazon.com/Power-126-44114SL ... automotive" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, EBC, Centric, Brembo, Power Slot are all good brands.

And don't forget to double check the part numbers - cross reference from a couple other automotive part websites to make sure you are getting the best price and that the part is correct. The above link may not be correct for your exact car, as it didn't allow me to specify AWD.
Last edited by Kincaid on Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

So our 06 AWD has warped the front rotors again at 77k miles. Been changing the rotors once a year due to this issue. Seems like the rotor warps before the pads wear out. They get so warped that it shakes the steering wheel and column when braking.
With this kind of frequency and use of quality rotors/pads, have you checked for other possible causes?

Were the rotors checked for runout?
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
04shadowvibe

Post by 04shadowvibe »

Its just not on the Vibe its all our vehicles. My moms new Equinox has the exact same issue at 36k the front pads are fine but the rotors are shot and warped. My truck is on its 2nd set of rotors at 45k. The only rotors that wont warp on me are on my dads 2500HD pickup and they are well over an inch thick. Im pretty sure its just the low quality chinese steel they use along with our hilly roads here thats eating rotors.

I have ebc slotted and dimpled rotors on my car but i just dont know how well they hold up as i only have about 2k miles on them. I use a torque wrench on all my brake components and my lug nuts so i know its not a torque issue. I have no idea about runout but i have no issues on the Vibe for 10k miles then its like they warp overnight. I also dont know my sisters driving habits but i know her commute is hilly and lots of tight turns and stop and go.
2006 Vibe AWD, Platinum/Graphite, Sun and Sound Package - Sisters
2007 Vibe FWD, Neptune/Graphite, Base
PAST - 04 Shadow Base, Moons and Tunes, Monotone, Traded at 23K for the 06 AWD.
Pops

Post by Pops »

04shadowvibe wrote:So our 06 AWD has warped the front rotors again at 77k miles. Been changing the rotors once a year due to this issue. Seems like the rotor warps before the pads wear out. They get so warped that it shakes the steering wheel and column when braking. Car is dirven 99.9% of the time by my sister to get to work and go shopping. Ive been running NAPA Ultra Premium rotors and it currently has NAPA Ultra Premium pads. I was using NAPA Adaptive One pads but i switched to the Ultra Premium thinking it was the pads killing my rotors. I am not getting the rotors turned just seems like a waste of time to me only for them to warp again.

Whats the best rotor/pad combo out there for the Vibe? I need something that isn't going to warp every year with 12k miles of use.
Are you bedding and breaking in the new pads and rotors? Most rotor manufacturers have a recommended break in procedure to properly temper the braking surface of the rotor and properly seat the pads. Do a google search on "power slot rotor break in". There is a pdf for their recommended procedure. I put a set of Power Slots on my 03 Envoy and used their break in procedure. I had put 60k on those rotors before the truck was totaled and they never warped.
'09' Pontiac Vibe GT
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

i recently installed a new new set of rotors and pads on a non-vibe car that had gone through 2 sets of warped rotors in 40,000 miles. both times, we found that the slotted area used for venting between the braking surfaces was choked with rust. this time around, we decided to go with a premium rotor that was painted inside the slots in hopes that it will delay the inevitable rusting, which we surmise was causing inconsistencies with the cooling of the braking surfaces, leading to the warping. they just went on a month ago, so no results to provide, but i wanted to put it out there as an option.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

My 2009 Vibe 2.4L has no rotor problems - working just perfect.

If anything, I'd think that doing the proper bed-in procedure might cause new rotors to warp because unless you have your car on the track or auto-x course, bedding in the brakes makes them a lot hotter than normal driving. I actually got plenty of smell and a whiff of smoke when I bedded the Civic's brakes the last time. However - I certainly advise to do the bed-in per the mfg's recommendations! Otherwise, your stopping distance is compromised.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

04shadowvibe wrote:Car is dirven 99.9% of the time by my sister to get to work and go shopping.
Question: Is she a two-foot driver? (left foot constantly on the brake pedal while the right's constantly on the gas)

That would put quite a bit of heat in them!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
glhboy

Post by glhboy »

I've had the best luck with using OEM rotors and pads. I've had so many cars it's unreal and out of all, Toyota's warp the least - if at all. My wife has an 09 Scion xB with 50K on it as well with no warp issues either and I'm sure she could be easier on her brakes if she wanted to. It may cost more, but def worth it in my opinion.

I have 177K on my 03 Vibe and no warp issues or shakes.