Front rotors stuck. lol

Handling, suspension, and brake tuning discussions
DopeVibeGT

Front rotors stuck. lol

Post by DopeVibeGT »

Anyone else have trouble getting their Vibes front brake rotors off? I've tried liquid wrench for the tons of rust and tapping it from the back with a mallet. It just wont budge. I'm gonna try a puller if I can find one that will fit on the rotors.

Any other suggestions? :?
Pictures of my ride!!'03 Vibe GTMy AED GA!Work in progress
star_deceiver

Re: Front rotors stuck. lol

Post by star_deceiver »

Do your rotors have the 2 threaded holes like this? (not a Vibe rotor, I know)

There's a thread on here with the correct pitch of bolt you will need to use. Thread the bolts down into them, when they make contact us 1/4 turn on each until the rotor pops off.

Here it is! viewtopic.php?f=28&t=37364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
CharlesinGA

Post by CharlesinGA »

My '04 did not have threaded holes in the rotor for jacking the rotor off the hub. My rear drums did. I'm probably the one you are thinking of who posted the bolt size. I ended up using a prybar on the back of the rotor between the caliper spindle mount and the inner most edge of the rotor friction surface, and then a dead blow hammer on the opposite side, kept turning and re positioning and wacking again. The right rotor was a little stuck, the left one took an hour or so of careful prying and beating to get it off and I still marred the caliper mount surface slightly on the spindle. Sand the surfaces on the hub real good and lightly grease them to prevent rusting in the future.

Charles
DopeVibeGT

Post by DopeVibeGT »

Nope, no holes like that. The new ones do have them. I wish they were like my Grand Am ones, they slide right off. Guess I'll try a puller and see how that works. Thanks.

UPDATE: Puller worked like a charm. I would recommend using one for this. Also, I put a couple of lug nuts on and stopped them about 3/4" above the rotor so when the rotor broke loose, it didnt fly off. 8-)

BTW, The new rotors did not have the holes in them. I thought they did.
Pictures of my ride!!'03 Vibe GTMy AED GA!Work in progress
bionictony

Post by bionictony »

i was surprised when mine didn't have the screw holes to push the rotor out. here's another simple way to get them unstuck. works on an automatic. jack the car up and take off the wheel. start the car, press the brakes and put it in D. let go of the brake for half a second and brake again. the breaking and no wheel will "break" the disc free.
dragon64

Post by dragon64 »

Try tapping the disc between the studs with a steel hammer a few times often this will loosen the disc from the hub.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Manual - DBW controller, Hydraulic engine damper, S/S brakeline retrokit,22mm solid Rear ARB, urethane rear coil dampers, Front strut bar with brake cylinder brace, PIAA 410 driving lights, PRM Intake Wilwood front brakes, Lexus hood lifts
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

If you're replacing the rotors, I recommend showing absolutely no mercy with the hammer.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Zvibe2004

Post by Zvibe2004 »

on mine i took a heavy nut and bolt through the caliper bracket and tightened them up real tight on the rotor, then beat the living heck out of the rotor to get them to pop off. it wasnt fun, but it did the trick. my dad was worried that i was gonna knock the car off the jack stands bc i was hittin the rotors so hard, and i was under the car so i could really hit them. but alls good now :)
2004 Base Vibe, 134,000 on the clock and still tickin'
born automatic, NOT ANYMORE!!! it's a 6 speed now!! :D
its gonna be a mean vibe someday, to about the tune of 350-400 whp ;)
09SnowyVibe

Post by 09SnowyVibe »

You guys ought to try getting chev 3/4 ton rotors off.. :o
2009 Vibe AWD
2001 Sunfire GTX
1993 Buick Park Ave
1984 Chevrolet Citation
kowell

Post by kowell »

No problem with my front rotor but my rear rotors were a pain fo remove.
I was hitting them with a hammer and they weren't budging.
I drowned them in rust clearing oil and let them seat for 24h and it did the trick.
2009 Vibe 2.4L 1SC - Red Hot Metallic
2011 Sienna V6 CE - Sky Silver