New to Gen Vibe!! and New Vibe Owner

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
erick44

New to Gen Vibe!! and New Vibe Owner

Post by erick44 »

Hello Gen vibe Members! Glad to be part of an auto Group/forum. Been reading some topics and posts from other members and it looks like everybody here gets along really well! I am turning 22 in July so i ended up getting myself an early birthday gift. I was in market for a Hot hatch since I live on my own I wanted and really needed something practical, I came across the Gti but I am not a big fan of german engineering, Then came across a Subaru Impreza, Which are pigs on gas for a 4 cyn motor. Right as I was going to start looking at bigger sedans like G8 (sexiest and very under rated) I came across a Pontiac vibe GT, It completely caught me off guard with all its features, comfort, looks and even fun to drive attitude! Best of all my insurance didn't ask for a first born son or a body limb lol. Looking forward to posting up topics and posts! So far I have only ordered a K&n Filter for it. Looking to install a Typhoon intake, Muffler, HIDS and maybe even a turbo next year! Thanks for reading!

-Erick44

journeyforce

Re: New to Gen Vibe!! and New Vibe Owner

Post by journeyforce »

Welcome aboard. Nice Vibe. I understand about the "German Engineering" thing. GE seems to have disappeared in the 21st century and most German cars can pass everything except a service center nowadays. It used to be if you wanted a reliable rock solid luxury car you bought a BMW or Benz but now if you want a luxury car that is reliable, you buy a Lexus or Acura.

While the gas mpgs on the Vibe GT are not exactly setting the world on fire. It still is a goodly amount. I have a friend with a WRX and she drives a Cavalier as a daily driver because the WRX is a huge gas pig

You can get all your engine and trans repair parts from Toyota as it is a Toyota in Pontiac skin so parts should be cheaper. You will find many years of good driving with this Vibe. However you might want to go to GM and buy a few radio knobs to stock up on before they get discontinued. This car eats radio knobs because of a cheap design.

Good luck with your car
erick44

Post by erick44 »

thanks for the reply^^ and agree with what you mentioned, and thanks for the heads up lol I hope my knobs don't fall off lol!!!
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome! Very nice Vibe, and you got the right color! ;) We've had a lot of red vibes joining recently. And you are lucky, you got a manual trans to boot!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
erick44

Post by erick44 »

^^ yea I got super lucky with the manual tranny, Because I live in a big city nobody wanted manual so the price on it dropped quite a bit and got myself a too good to pass up offer!
OmniDimensional

Post by OmniDimensional »

That's a great looking ride! Can't wait to see what you do to it. I do hope a turbo is up and coming, want to see some numbers.

I love this forum, everyone here is really friendly and very helpful.
2003 AWD, black. K&N CAI, 16" Montegi, 15% tint, sunroof, premium audio.
Garage
erick44

Post by erick44 »

^^ thanks! And don't worry I will keep everyone updated, if it were up to me It would have wings right now lol :P but I have other expenses to attend to. Thanks for the postive post guys!
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Nice Vibe! Bonus points for the manual, and those wheels look really good. You've come to the right place if you plan on modifying it, we've got a ton of how-to's and a very ingenous community. Welcome!
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! It's always nice to see another 2nd gen GT owner join, although you got your Vibe in the wrong color :P. It seems like you already have a decent future mods list put together. I look forward to seeing pictures as you progress on it.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
erick44

Post by erick44 »

^ well if you would like we can trade haha, seeing as how my last car was silver, and yep slowly but surely, for now my motor is too quiet, which is why I got my filter, can't wait to put a decent muffler on, Already bought one just need to install it
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

erick44 wrote:^ well if you would like we can trade haha, seeing as how my last car was silver, and yep slowly but surely, for now my motor is too quiet, which is why I got my filter, can't wait to put a decent muffler on, Already bought one just need to install it
LOL! No way! My baby's not going anywhere!

Forget the muffler! Do the K&N CAI first! It will give the 2.4L a very nice sound all by itself ;).
erick44

Post by erick44 »

^^I Really want too you have no idea lol but I can't afford one just yet! and you mean MY red Baby isnt going anywhere lol :P, do you have one on your vibe? if you do post a video on the tube or here I've been searching for a video so I can hear what it sounds like
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

erick44 wrote:^^I Really want too you have no idea lol but I can't afford one just yet! and you mean MY red Baby isnt going anywhere lol :P, do you have one on your vibe? if you do post a video on the tube or here I've been searching for a video so I can hear what it sounds like
Yep. I've had the K&N CAI on my Vibe since July of 2009 and I absolutely love it! IMO, it's a must have for any 2009-2010 2.4L Matrix/Vibe owner.

Unfortunately, I don't have any way of getting a video of it, but it definitely does give the 2.4L a more aggressive sound, especially when accelerating. Also, once you get over the initial thrill of the new sound of the engine and start to drive more conservatively, you will see a slight increase in gas mileage. Click on my signature picture to see pictures of it installed on my Vibe.

For the best prices on the K&N CAI, check out eBay.
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

erick44 wrote:thanks for the reply^^ and agree with what you mentioned, and thanks for the heads up lol I hope my knobs don't fall off lol!!!
That is part of the problem, the knob will break and not fall off because GM decided to put a lip around the knob so it cannot be removed without removing the radio face. If you have the steering wheel radio controls use them most of the time
zyzyix

Post by zyzyix »

Hi and welcome. Nice Vibe.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to this great site ;) By the way, you DID find the Vibe Gt in the best color (unlike a comment by some Silver owner :roll: ) And if it weren't for the absence of your sunroof, we'd be twins! Gotta love that manual tranny in the Vibe GT! Also I agree with your comment on the Pontiac G8. That's the wife's car in the middle. Get involved here & visit often :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
CAMOGIRL

Post by CAMOGIRL »

WELCOME!!!

Your vibe is very pretty :)
Well-behaved women rarely make history.
journeyforce

Post by journeyforce »

tpollauf wrote:Welcome to this great site ;) By the way, you DID find the Vibe Gt in the best color (unlike a comment by some Silver owner :roll: ) And if it weren't for the absence of your sunroof, we'd be twins! Gotta love that manual tranny in the Vibe GT! Also I agree with your comment on the Pontiac G8. That's the wife's car in the middle. Get involved here & visit often :D
By the way tpollauf, is your G8 a V8? I thought all G8's were sold with a 6.0l or 6.2l V8 but a local dealership has a G8 on the lot with a 3.6l v6 :o

More research by me shows a V6 option but why?
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Base G8's had the 6, the GT and GXP models had 8-cyls, and only the GXP was available with a manual trans. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

Welcome to GenVibe!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

MrHatchWagon wrote:Base G8's had the 6, the GT and GXP models had 8-cyls, and only the GXP was available with a manual trans. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong.)
No corrections needed here ................ You are correct. Hers is the GT so it has the 6.0 litre and 6-speed auto :x She also has the summer 19" tires & sunroof. Thus it doesn't see winter driving. Tali lights are "clear lens" on the GT & GXP trim , and solid RED on the V6 base model. They probably offered the 6 cylinder option for those who wanted fuel economy. Hell we get 25-26 actual mpg on the highway thanks the Active Fuel Management where it unloads four of the eight cylinders. She loves it.

erick44

Post by erick44 »

Thanks for the postive comments everyone it all means alot :), haven't had a chance to swing by here in a week due to work injuries but got my k&n filter as ill post up pictures later, along with the muffle I will be installing. :)
Wingnut

Post by Wingnut »

journeyforce wrote:Welcome aboard. Nice Vibe. I understand about the "German Engineering" thing. GE seems to have disappeared in the 21st century and most German cars can pass everything except a service center nowadays. It used to be if you wanted a reliable rock solid luxury car you bought a BMW or Benz but now if you want a luxury car that is reliable, you buy a Lexus or Acura.

While the gas mpgs on the Vibe GT are not exactly setting the world on fire. It still is a goodly amount. I have a friend with a WRX and she drives a Cavalier as a daily driver because the WRX is a huge gas pig

You can get all your engine and trans repair parts from Toyota as it is a Toyota in Pontiac skin so parts should be cheaper. You will find many years of good driving with this Vibe. However you might want to go to GM and buy a few radio knobs to stock up on before they get discontinued. This car eats radio knobs because of a cheap design.

Good luck with your car
The reason it eats knobs is because in 2010 they decided to start putting Toyota radios and wiring harnesses in them instead of Pontiac. KEEP IN MIND IF YOU ARE GOING TO CHANGE THE RADIO OUT YOU WILL NEED A "TOYOTA" WIRING HARNESS. :evil:
2004 Vibe 5 speed with factory oem body kit and wings.
Mods: Sound system, 18" Excel MR7 Rims, 225 40 R18 tires ACT 4 puck clutch.

DennisLee

Post by DennisLee »

So, is it just the 2010 that eats the radio knobs? Or do I need to worry about that with my 2009 as well?
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

DennisLee wrote:So, is it just the 2010 that eats the radio knobs? Or do I need to worry about that with my 2009 as well?
A bit late on a response here. YES the 09 & 10 models are identical when it comes to the radio knobs. Use your steering wheel controls (if you have them) as much as possible and you'll buy a lot of time before you need to service the radio :o