Magnetic License Plate Holder?

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
ponta2147

Magnetic License Plate Holder?

Post by ponta2147 »

Since I'll probably be replacing the front fascia of my vehicle due to an accident, I've been thinking a lot about the front license plate. If I'm going to shell out several hundred dollars to get this done, I'd rather not have them drill holes in it to mount the plate.Has anyone tried something like a dealer plate holder? http://www.dealersupply.com/st....htmlWas thinking of getting something like this for the front plate... obviously the magnet would not stick to the non-metallic front fascia (I believe it's not metal), so I was thinking I'd mount a couple of metal strips (or some strong magnets) on the back side of it before it is installed. This way if we finally get rid of this stupid front plate law in Illinois, my car will be pretty (plus I can take off the front plate for detailing/meets/etc.)Thoughts? The only downside I can see is that it's, well, removable... but nothing that taking it off and putting it inside the car (on the dash or something) if I am worried about theft won't fix... assuming these things are powerful enough to stay on the car otherwise.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
98se5speed

Re: Magnetic License Plate Holder? (ponta2147)

Post by 98se5speed »

Ha, I was thinking about this same idea for my 03 I just bought, since it was from Michigan and has never had a front plate installed. I believe the front bumper was replaced and re-painted, so it's in pristine condition. I'm having a hard time with the concept of drilling into it also. The "pointed" front of the 03 certainly gives me a challenge. I wouldn't mind if I had to slightly bend my plate to match the shape though. Beats getting pulled over for something stupid like "improper display of license plate." The cops where I live tend to get real bored, and will pull you over for anything. There's only about a 5% chance I could make it to the other end of town (2 miles) with a burned out headlight.
JamesChicago, IL03 Vibe silver (totaled Jan-2011)03 Vibe black (bought Feb-2012) Garage Thread
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Keep your front plate in the passenger side of the car and if ever pulled over, place it up on the dash. Simply explain that the original front end was damaged and you're waiting on the bracket to properly hold the plate in place. This will buy you some time before you need to come up with another solution. Hopefully nobody messes with you. Mine & juniors do not have the front plates and will NEVER see them again ... at least PERMANENTLY that is
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
chadhgraves

Post by chadhgraves »

Oklahoma only requires a rear license plate. You could always move to another state and not worry about it. JK. The "I'm waiting for a new plate holder" routine if you ever get pulled over is a good option. Look on ebay, I'm sure there is a used one floating around somewhere that you could put on it. I'd be worried that a pothole would knock the plate off the car if it was held up with magnets. I would go ahead and drill on a new holder, but can understand not wanting to put holes in a brand new front end. Looks like your options are:1. Keep the plate inside the car and show it if pulled over.2. Magnet holder with the possibility of it falling off due to a hard bump.3. Drill in a new holder, which is permanent, but you lose your pristine bumper. 4. Duct tape!5. Move to a new state.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

I guess I just have to find out how strong the magnets are. I could always go to American Science and Surplus and buy the super-strong magnets to mount to the back... Mostly I'm hesitant because I've heard Illinois going back and forth on whether to change the law... if there was no talk about changing it, I'd just drill the holes and be done.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

first take any old fridge magnet and stick it on the bumper - I bet it would be hard to find a spot that has metal close enough to the surface to hold onto.Dealers I think only have to slap one on the rear hatch metal. But bumpers are plastic covering foam covering metal. I just don't think it will work.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
ponta2147

Re: (Kincaid)

Post by ponta2147 »

Right, the bumper is non-metallic. I would be mounting magnets or metal strips to the back (non-visible) side of the bumper before installation if I was going to do this.
vibenvy

Re: (ponta2147)

Post by vibenvy »

Both our Vibes have been without front license plates since July of 2010. We haven't been stopped once. Cops don't even look twice at us. If I were you, I wouldn't put anything on there and just see what happens. If you get pulled over, chances are you will get a warning or a fix it ticket. If you get a fix it ticket, then I would implement the magnets on the backside of the bumper cover.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »Both our Vibes have been without front license plates since July of 2010. We haven't been stopped once. Cops don't even look twice at us. If I were you, I wouldn't put anything on there and just see what happens. If you get pulled over, chances are you will get a warning or a fix it ticket. If you get a fix it ticket, then I would implement the magnets on the backside of the bumper cover. This, except I'd recommend zip ties to the lower grille rather than magnets. If the lights on my Vibe weren't in the lower grille I'd have taken my front plate off and zip it to my lower grille a long time ago, and plug the holes.
ponta2147

Re: (KITT222)

Post by ponta2147 »

That could work... I might still get a rubber cover for it though to prevent scratching.
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Quote, originally posted by ponta2147 »Right, the bumper is non-metallic. I would be mounting magnets or metal strips to the back (non-visible) side of the bumper before installation if I was going to do this.Well that sounds very doable!I suppose you could counter sink some very powerful magnets into the foam portion and the relatively thin plastic cover would not matter.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).