Clicking or ticking sound coming from near my MAF and Air Filter.

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
baxtor698

Clicking or ticking sound coming from near my MAF and Air Filter.

Post by baxtor698 »

I don't know much about cars so I decided to come here. I have a 2003 Base Model Vibe and I was listening to the engine today because I have to jump it, its been garaged for a few months and I accidentally killed the battery, and I heard ticking noises coming from around the air filter and MAF sensor area of the car. All I could find on here was a ticking noise around the passenger air bag, and thats not what this is. I was thinking that I needed to clean the MAF, and I know I need a new air filter. If anyone could tell me what this is I would be grateful. Thanks!
MotoAce51

Re: Clicking or ticking sound coming from near my MAF and Air Filter. (baxtor698)

Post by MotoAce51 »

Not sure what it is but there is a valve around there with 2 hoses coming out of it and it clicks. My 04 does it sometimes too..
2004 Vibe Base- Injen CAI, 10,000K HID's, Projector Retrofit W/ Angel Eyes, Billet Grilles, Kicker KX6.5 Components, Helix TB Spacer, Pioneer Premier HU
baxtor698

Post by baxtor698 »

I will look at it to see if there is something loose around there. Also, it is fine for about 3 minutes when I first crank the car, but then it starts clicking. I don't know. Will definitely look at what your talking about though.
micbarric

Re: Clicking or ticking sound coming from near my MAF and Air Filter. (baxtor698)

Post by micbarric »

You're probably hearing the vacuum switching valve. Check out these posts: "Ticking" noise under the hoodVacuum switching valve
2005 Frosty
leemur

Post by leemur »

They told me it was a purge solinoid for the evap sys. and the ticking was normal.
2004 Fusion Orange, bought new R.I.P. 2009 Carbon Grey 2.4, bought new. 2004 Neptune bought used-2013