2009 Vibe GT w/ 16" wheels?!

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
Motoretro

2009 Vibe GT w/ 16" wheels?!

Post by Motoretro »

Pulled into my local welding shop a week ago and could not help but notice a very clean White GT parked in front. Something appeared different although I had business inside so went in and took care of things. When I left to leave, I focused on the GT a bit more and noticed 1st the aftermarket wheels, a clean plated multi-spoke design, I believe they were either Ultra or Elite. Then I caught the Michelin tire size 215/60/16"!! This combo looked totally appropriate for the car and not oversize at all. This was on a GT which I believe came w/ 18" Tires . There looked to be plenty of tire clearance although I did not get out and checked things with my hands. As I'm looking for a 09 or 10 Vibe to purchase, this opened up a load of options as there are a lot of GT's in my neighborhood for sale. Motoretro
star_deceiver

Re: 2009 Vibe GT w/ 16" wheels?! (Motoretro)

Post by star_deceiver »

16" wheels will fit.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
Motoretro

Re: 2009 Vibe GT w/ 16" wheels?! (star_deceiver)

Post by Motoretro »

Thanks for the confirmation, I was not sure if the GT had anything different on it like larger brakes, calipers, etc. Motoretro
star_deceiver

Re: 2009 Vibe GT w/ 16" wheels?! (Motoretro)

Post by star_deceiver »

The bolt pattern will be 5-114 so you can't take the steelies from a 1.8 Vibe.
vit

Post by vit »

16" is the smallest that will work on a GT or any other 2.4l
Motoretro

Re: (vit)

Post by Motoretro »

So wheels off a 09-10 Base 2.4, AWD 2.4 & a 09-10 GT will interchange?Motoretro
vibenvy

Re: (Motoretro)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by vit »16" is the smallest that will work on a GT or any other 2.4lYep. 16s just barely clear the calipers.Quote, originally posted by Motoretro »So wheels off a 09-10 Base 2.4, AWD 2.4 & a 09-10 GT will interchange?That is correct.2009-2010 2.4L = 5 x 114.3 bolt pattern2009-2010 1.8L = 5 x 100 bolt patternHere's a picture of my 2009 GT with the 16" steel wheels and 205/55/16 tires I use in the winter:I will be installing OEM 16" wheel covers today to "clean" up the winter look a little more.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Motoretro

Post by Motoretro »

Thanks for confirmation. Motoretro
Kincaid

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by Kincaid »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »Those 16's look good enough I am now thinking I just might switch to all season 16's, should I decide to get new wheels. The wheel/tire combo would certainly be less expensive than 17" and I could sell my 17's to Vibe owners that curbed a wheel.Something to think about.I kinda like these: http://www.performanceplustire...34305
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
vibenvy

Re: (Kincaid)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by Kincaid »Those 16's look good enough I am now thinking I just might switch to all season 16's, should I decide to get new wheels. The wheel/tire combo would certainly be less expensive than 17" and I could sell my 17's to Vibe owners that curbed a wheel.Something to think about.I kinda like these: http://www.performanceplustire...34305The overall height of the 16" steelies with 205/55/16 tires is only slightly smaller then the overall height of the 18s with 215/45/18 tires, so I imagine the difference compared to your 17s would be even less. Having a little more tire gives a noticeably smoother ride as well. Those wheels are nice looking! They'd look great on your Vibe for sure !Just for more reference, here's a picture of my mom's 2009 GT with the OEM 2.4L Base/AWD wheel covers:
Motoretro

Post by Motoretro »

Kincaid,I like the Enkei wheels, How much do they weigh? Motoretro
Motoretro

Post by Motoretro »

Your Moms GT look great, So it's a big difference in ride between the 16's and 18's? Would a 205/60/16 put you at same height as the factory GT tires? There's a guy who works at nearby HD who painted his rims silver and runs the AWD hubcaps and it looks great. Very clean look.MotoretroQuote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »The overall height of the 16" steelies with 205/55/16 tires is only slightly smaller then the overall height of the 18s with 215/45/18 tires, so I imagine the difference compared to your 17s would be even less. Having a little more tire gives a noticeably smoother ride as well. Those wheels are nice looking! They'd look great on your Vibe for sure !Just for more reference, here's a picture of my mom's 2009 GT with the OEM 2.4L Base/AWD wheel covers:
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by Motoretro »Your Moms GT look great, So it's a big difference in ride between the 16's and 18's? Would a 205/60/16 put you at same height as the factory GT tires? There's a guy who works at nearby HD who painted his rims silver and runs the AWD hubcaps and it looks great. Very clean look.Thanks !It's not a huge difference, but it is definitely a noticeable one.I'm not positive, but I do believe a 205/60/16 would put you right about the same overall height as the 18" wheels and tires.Hmmm... the silver painted steelies and wheel covers sound interesting. You should try to get a picture of it to post !
Motoretro

Post by Motoretro »

I'll get pics, he parks in same spot way out in parking lot, typically vehicle is always very clean.MotoretroQuote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »Thanks !It's not a huge difference, but it is definitely a noticeable one.I'm not positive, but I do believe a 205/60/16 would put you right about the same overall height as the 18" wheels and tires.Hmmm... the silver painted steelies and wheel covers sound interesting. You should try to get a picture of it to post !
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by Motoretro »I'll get pics, he parks in same spot way out in parking lot, typically vehicle is always very clean.Sounds really nice! Looking forward to seeing pictures !
Motoretro

Post by Motoretro »

Here's a picture of the VIBE w/ AWD and painted silver wheels to match hubcaps I mentioned, I feel it looks pretty decent for a cheap modification and really makes the vent holes in wheels jump out at you.Motoretro
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by Motoretro »Here's a picture of the VIBE w/ AWD and painted silver wheels to match hubcaps I mentioned, I feel it looks pretty decent for a cheap modification and really makes the vent holes in wheels jump out at you.Thanks for the picture ! That's alot of silver ! It looks alot better than I thought it would, but somehow I still think the wheel covers stand out more and look better against a black wheel. Definitely still lovin' the Vibe though !
Motoretro

Post by Motoretro »

Yeah, the guy or gal must like Silver. I've never seen this Vibe dirty and this is the middle of Winter in Michigan. I pulled into last space, closest to entrance so he/she parks way out so they don't get any parking lot rash.Not sure of any other modifications. I might try the silver wheel mod depending on which color I end up with. Motoretro Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »Thanks for the picture ! That's alot of silver ! It looks alot better than I thought it would, but somehow I still think the wheel covers stand out more and look better against a black wheel. Definitely still lovin' the Vibe though !
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by Motoretro »Yeah, the guy or gal must like Silver. I've never seen this Vibe dirty and this is the middle of Winter in Michigan. I pulled into last space, closest to entrance so he/she parks way out so they don't get any parking lot rash.Not sure of any other modifications. I might try the silver wheel mod depending on which color I end up with.That's cool to hear that it's always clean and they park far out. More than likely means it's well loved and cared for . I'm happy because ours have been clean for a full week now because we haven't had any snow, rain, etc. which is rare for Chicagoland. What color/s are you leaning toward? *cough* silver *cough*
Motoretro

Post by Motoretro »

I'm not too particular about colors as I'm hoping to land a 2010 and with the low numbers on the market, I don't think I can be too choosy. MotoretroQuote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »That's cool to hear that it's always clean and they park far out. More than likely means it's well loved and cared for . I'm happy because ours have been clean for a full week now because we haven't had any snow, rain, etc. which is rare for Chicagoland. What color/s are you leaning toward? *cough* silver *cough*
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Quote, originally posted by Motoretro »Kincaid,I like the Enkei wheels, How much do they weigh? Motoretroseems to be some difference in opinion - I found references indicating anywhere from about 18 lbs to 20 lbs (couldn't find anything exactly 16x6.5 like the ones I posted, and the specs I found for 16x7's didn't agree.But yeah, I love the deep dish chrome with black centers.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
vibenvy

Re: (Kincaid)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by Motoretro »I'm not too particular about colors as I'm hoping to land a 2010 and with the low numbers on the market, I don't think I can be too choosy.Makes sense. Best of luck with your search. Definitely keep us posted !
Motoretro

Post by Motoretro »

Relented and test drove a 09 AWD 50K Vibe yesterday, Had the 17" alloys on it and the ride wasn't a lot of fun on bumpy roads. Nothing I could put my thumb on although I felt the vehicle had been rode hard and put away wet, I'll keep looking...... MotoretroQuote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »Makes sense. Best of luck with your search. Definitely keep us posted !
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by Motoretro »Relented and test drove a 09 AWD 50K Vibe yesterday, Had the 17" alloys on it and the ride wasn't a lot of fun on bumpy roads. Nothing I could put my thumb on although I felt the vehicle had been rode hard and put away wet, I'll keep looking......The 2009-2010 AWDs and GTs have IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) which will cause the ride to be somewhat stiffer. Also, the 17" wheels and low-profile tires will help make the stiffness of the suspension even more defined. You may want to test drive a 1.8L or 2.4L Base with some 16" steel wheels and see if you like the ride any better .
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

The 16" tires don't make the ride that much softer. I feel every bump with these winters. My summer 17's are firmer, but not by much. Wouldn't have it any other way!If you want a softer ride you're going to be buying aftermarket shocks/springs/struts or start shopping for a car that naturally has a soft ride... like a Buick or maybe a minivan.
Motoretro

Post by Motoretro »

I was aware of the IRS on the GT and AWD models which I actually wanted although had planed on putting 205/60/16 tires w/ steel rims or something aftermarket in a light wheel. These tires will put me within .1" of the tires in diameter which come on the GT's. Unfortunately this vehicle had like new 17"'s already on it. It was in my back yard so I took it for a drive as the price was fair. As I remarked the car seemed to be a little loose for the mileage so I passed. I did drive a FWD 2.4, base w/ manual trans when they 1st came out and it was fine as far as ride goes. I believe this model has a non-sport ride suspension though.I realize most younger guys like the firm ride although as a old school car guy w/ 2 blown thoracic disc, I prefer something I don't have to crawl out when I do a 500 mile trip. It's really tough to find something well taken care of although I'm a bit particular. By the time you read the CarFax, eliminate the corporate, fleet, rental & dealer cars there doesn't seem to be much left within 100 miles. Still looking,MotoretroQuote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »The 2009-2010 AWDs and GTs have IRS (Independent Rear Suspension) which will cause the ride to be somewhat stiffer. Also, the 17" wheels and low-profile tires will help make the stiffness of the suspension even more defined. You may want to test drive a 1.8L or 2.4L Base with some 16" steel wheels and see if you like the ride any better .
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by Motoretro »I was aware of the IRS on the GT and AWD models which I actually wanted although had planed on putting 205/60/16 tires w/ steel rims or something aftermarket in a light wheel. These tires will put me within .1" of the tires in diameter which come on the GT's. Unfortunately this vehicle had like new 17"'s already on it. It was in my back yard so I took it for a drive as the price was fair. As I remarked the car seemed to be a little loose for the mileage so I passed. I did drive a FWD 2.4, base w/ manual trans when they 1st came out and it was fine as far as ride goes. I believe this model has a non-sport ride suspension though.I realize most younger guys like the firm ride although as a old school car guy w/ 2 blown thoracic disc, I prefer something I don't have to crawl out when I do a 500 mile trip. It's really tough to find something well taken care of although I'm a bit particular. By the time you read the CarFax, eliminate the corporate, fleet, rental & dealer cars there doesn't seem to be much left within 100 miles. Still lookingBest of luck with the continued search .
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by Motoretro »It's really tough to find something well taken care of Amen to that quote The trade off is usually a more "attractive" lower price. My son's 09 Vibe Gt which we acquired back in April was likely a leased vehicle as it was turned back into the dealer at just under 36k miles, and was majorly trashed, especially the interior. When we did some modding over the Christmas break, we removed all seats, carpet, several panels and I swear they had Pepsi & Coke fights inside this car. Sticky goo in areas you couldn't see until you dug deeper! Some nasty scratches also on the exterior BUT mechanically in excellent condition. We easily paid $2000 less than one in very good condition, and to me was worth the trade off. As Carrie mentioned, good luck in your search
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Re: (tpollauf)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by tpollauf »When we did some modding over the Christmas break, we removed all seats, carpet, several panels and I swear they had Pepsi & Coke fights inside this car. Sticky goo in areas you couldn't see until you dug deeper! Some nasty scratches also on the exterior BUT mechanically in excellent condition.That makes me so glad we got both of our Vibes brand new .
trb

Post by trb »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »That makes me so glad we got both of our Vibes brand new .I wish I could have bought mine new, but right now I got the best deal I could find. Mine was a rental for about 6 months and then was owned by a family as their son's vehicle for about a year. I got it a lot cheaper than most I found, because it was being sold by a small town Ford dealer with no real access to the parts to fix it back up to get top dollar. So they discounted it and I took advantage of it. Reupholstering the seat for the hole will run me about $100, and I got most of the broken/ damaged/ holes drilled in interior parts for $50 from a local salvage yard. I still need a few more parts like the bottom hatch panel and rear cup holder cover, but that should run $100 or less. So for $250 of parts/ repairs I put mine back in shape and I saved about $2.5K over comparable cars with the same mileage.Good luck on your search. I would not count out all lease/rental etc cars totally. My parents have purchased 4 ex rentals and had almost no problems with any of them for the 5-8 years they owned them.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
trb

Re: (trb)

Post by trb »

Just saw this one in your state. Looks pretty good and it is GM Certified so you get a 12mo, 12K B2B warranty:http://www.cars.com/go/search/...ype=1
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vibenvy

Re: (trb)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by trb »Just saw this one in your state. Looks pretty good and it is GM Certified so you get a 12mo, 12K B2B warranty:http://www.cars.com/go/search/...ype=1That is a nice looking GT with decently low mileage and the price seems like a really good deal too. Nice find !
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by J_TO_ENVY »That is a nice looking GT with decently low mileage and the price seems like a really good deal too. Nice find ! x2 Agreee ............... Looks REAL good. Now Jump on it before someone else does
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Motoretro

Re: (tpollauf)

Post by Motoretro »

Well after 8 weeks of looking I believe I've found what I'm looking for. A 2010 Base 2.4, no roof rack or Sunroof . One elderly owner, has 30K and clean record. Has new tires and is very clean. It's red which is OK although I'd rather have white. Has the 16" factory steels w/ Hubbys. I test drove it this afternoon and will go back Monday with my trade-in to talk a deal. Since Tires are literally one day old Goodyears I'm hoping to drive immediately over to Tire store and trade them in +$ for some 205/60/16" Tires. I know where I want to be on pricing so we'll see how it goes. Motoretro
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by Motoretro »Well after 8 weeks of looking I believe I've found what I'm looking for. A 2010 Base 2.4, no roof rack or Sunroof . One elderly owner, has 30K and clean record. Has new tires and is very clean. It's red which is OK although I'd rather have white. Has the 16" factory steels w/ Hubbys. I test drove it this afternoon and will go back Monday with my trade-in to talk a deal. Since Tires are literally one day old Goodyears I'm hoping to drive immediately over to Tire store and trade them in +$ for some 205/60/16" Tires. I know where I want to be on pricing so we'll see how it goes. Sounds like a good deal. Good luck and keep us posted !
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Exciting!
bpgmcbill

Re: 2009 Vibe GT w/ 16" wheels?!

Post by bpgmcbill »

In time for your winter purchase, yes, the Michelin X-Ice X-2 205/60-16 with Momo Winter Pro S wheels don't have any clearance issues with my '09 GT. They are slightly oversize compared to the "recommended" minus-two sized tire for the OEM replacement. Performance was terrific during last night's Nor'easter storm in Connecticut. (I used to wonder why everyone was going so fast in the snow when I was driving my RWD pickup and Buicks; now I know why they're going so slow.) There is an increase in road noise at 80 MPH, which reminds you that it probably isn't a good idea to drive 80 MPH with snow tires. Search other posts for info on the Momo wheels.
Bill1965 Buick Skylark1998 GMC Sonoma2009 Pontiac Vibe