Looking to buy a Vibe -- Questions!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
sailingharry

Looking to buy a Vibe -- Questions!

Post by sailingharry »

Greetings,My son has had a '04 for nearly two years, and has convinced me to buy one for my self! I'm looking for a somewhat newer (but still 1st gen) manual base model. I have a few questions:* I really love the opening rear hatch window. Is this available for all 1st gen years (up to 2008)?* Are there things to watch out for? Years or options that are good or bad?* I have had some bad experiences with automatic transmissions on other cars. How well do they hold up on these cars? Automatics are much more common.Thanks,Harry
star_deceiver

Re: Looking to buy a Vibe -- Questions! (sailingharry)

Post by star_deceiver »

Welcome to GenVibe!!! 1) Yes, the hatch window opens on all 03-08 models2) Stay away from the 03 manual transmissions in the base model, other years are fine. There's a power window recall in some models. There's a pcm recall in 05-08 models.3) I've never owned a vehicle without a stick shift so I can't comment on the laziness... I mean reliability of the slushbox! But most people here have no problems.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
KITT222

Re: Looking to buy a Vibe -- Questions! (star_deceiver)

Post by KITT222 »

Welcome! Your son has done what I want to do with my dad.In response to your questions, yes the glass opens on all years (except 09-10), the 03 manual is a bad one, power window-equipped Vibes from certain years had a window-bolt recall done, and 05-08s need a new PCM. Automatics last pretty long. I've heard of no issues about them, even from those with high mileage.Quote, originally posted by star_deceiver »3) I've never owned a vehicle without a stick shift so I can't comment on the laziness... I mean reliability of the slushbox! But most people here have no problems.Hey now, behave. Some of us didn't get the slushbox by choice.
star_deceiver

Re: Looking to buy a Vibe -- Questions! (KITT222)

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by KITT222 »Hey now, behave. Some of us didn't get the slushbox by choice. Lol!!! I love poking fun at those, woe is them
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
jake75

Re: Looking to buy a Vibe -- Questions! (KITT222)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by KITT222 »Hey now, behave. Some of us didn't get the slushbox by choice. And some of us are too old to shift gears!From what I have read here (over the past almost 9 years) the AT's are generally very reliable.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

welcome to genvibe. To me Crofton is just a series of traffic lights I have to stop for on drives between St Mary's and Baltimore I really like the independently opening rear hatch glass, was disappointed that they got rid of it beginning with the 09 model.Beginning in the 05's, Vibes went to full electronic throttle. Some say it feels different than the earlier cable throttle, but the all electric throttle makes it really easy to install cruise control if the Vibe doesn't have it already.There have been a number of us who have had bearing failures in the Vibe 5-speed manual transmission, while the (non-AWD) auto trannies have been significantly more reliable. I like the the more sporty drive of the manual tranny Vibe, except in stop and go traffic, (like in Crofton during rush hour, but at least Crofton isn't very hilly ) I made a point of getting the 5 speed for the extra few MPGs it gets over the auto tranny and have averaged almost 36 mpg over the ~260K miles I have on the car, but the dollars I've saved on gas don't come anywhere close to the tranny replacement costs I've had to pay. If I were to buy a used Vibe, I too would go for the 1st gen, but I would only get an auto tranny one. I might look for the 03 rare monotone envy (green), or perhaps an 04 fusion (orange) oneIf you thknk you would want power windows/locks, get a Vibe that already has them as a factory installed option.Sunroof is nice, but I rarely open the glass on mine. I do like to look up at the sky and see what the clouds are doing, but it is a hole in the roof and some people have had leaks. It would not be a priority for me on a replacement Vibe.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by sailingharry »Greetings,My son has had a '04 for nearly two years, and has convinced me to buy one for my self! I'm looking for a somewhat newer (but still 1st gen) manual base model. I have a few questions:* I really love the opening rear hatch window. Is this available for all 1st gen years (up to 2008)?* Are there things to watch out for? Years or options that are good or bad?* I have had some bad experiences with automatic transmissions on other cars. How well do they hold up on these cars? Automatics are much more common.Thanks,HarryThe auto transmission in the car is solid. Of course there are problems as there always will be, but overall it's a solid car.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
journeyforce

Re: Looking to buy a Vibe -- Questions! (star_deceiver)

Post by journeyforce »

Quote, originally posted by star_deceiver »3) I've never owned a vehicle without a stick shift so I can't comment on the laziness... I mean reliability of the slushbox! But most people here have no problems.I am starting to wish I had not bought a manual Vibe due to the traffic wonders of driving down 495 in Maryland to work everyday and don't get me started on the start and stop backups when MD/DC/VA drivers get wind of the chance of a couple of flurries or a little rain Anyway, as was noted the 2003 is the bad year for the base 5 speed trans, due to bearing issues most will convert to a 6 spd. I also thought 2004 was a iffy year for them too.2003-2008 are the only years of the separate opening glass window in the rear. the 2009-2010 are tailgate only opening.There are 3 styles of Vibe:2003-2004- Aztek style front end2005-2008 Areo style front end2009-2010 total restyleThe auto trans seems reliable which makes the Vibe/Matrix one of the only cars where the auto trans is more reliable the the manual (at least the first 2 years or so)GM will treat the car as the red headed step child but you can go to Toyota for parts and repairsGood luck
hotbug1776

Re: Looking to buy a Vibe -- Questions! (journeyforce)

Post by hotbug1776 »

The 2k4 vibes also had trans bearing issues, my vibe was one of them. Trans replaced with a 5 speed (nobody listens to me when I tell them more gears are better, Dad, LOL).Also, the motor is not quite beefy enough for the manual gearing as it tends to drag the motor to a stall at lights and when going up minor inclines. Either that, or my throttle is WAYYYY too touchy and my car is that heavy.I will say, once you are going, these little cars are go-karts!!! I was whipping in and out of traffic the other day like I was on a road course and the car was as nimble as a gazelle!