Ticking on cold startup

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
cptnsolo77

Ticking on cold startup

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Im a little nervous here. The other day I have noticed when I startup the car i can hear a slight ticking until its fully warmed up. Oil level is fine. Im thinking it may be time to have valve clearances checked? 122,000 miles & have used Castrol GTX ( non synth ) every 3-5000 miles. Doesnt consume oil between oil changes either. I dont like this...I have babied this car. Should I worry?
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
455SD

Re: Ticking on cold startup (cptnsolo77)

Post by 455SD »

Most all 1ZZfe's will exhibit a ticking noise, when they get some milege on them, and once the weather turns colder. A few microns of wear on the piston pins will cause this, as will some clearances with lifter to cam - and once the engine warms up, the pins diameter, will increase enough to quiet them down. All three of my ZZ powered vehicles have this condition. Unless, it's somethhing that doesn't go away when warmed up, I wouldn't be worried about it. Usually takes about 1.5 minutes for the noise to go away on mine.
EnvyGreen03
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Thanks for the quick reply. Actually the wheather has cooled off a lot here, so that would coincide with what you are saying. Ok...I feel better now LOL.Hows that 74 SD by the way?
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
millster

Re: (cptnsolo77)

Post by millster »

It's not a Vibe, but it's the same engine. My wife's Matrix does the same with 60K on it. I've always attributed it to lifter tap as the oil thins and pressure builds since my Saab actually mentions in the manual that the engine can tick for up to 15 minutes on cold start as the pressure builds behind the lifters. So long as it goes away once the car is warmed up, I'd dare say you've nothing to worry about.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
455SD

Post by 455SD »

The SD is doing fine. Thanks! Never seem to have the time to get it out as much as I would like. All tucked away for the winter now. Already looking forward to next summer millster - you are correct. Since the lifters are a non-hydraulic design, thermal expansion is calculated into the clearance between Cam lobes and Lifter. Either of these will cause very similar sound, and will dissipate, in about the same amount of time, unless there is abnormal wear, which allows the clearance to be to great for the expansion to make up for.
EnvyGreen03
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

Put some Lucas Oil Stab in it as it should help
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
455SD

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by 455SD »

Just curious OU. How much difference have you heard using this additive? I'm pushing 180,000.....which I have high hopes of being near mid-life. Not looking for miracle-in-a-bottle, but if this actually helps with the cold start ticking from the top end, I'm willing to try.
EnvyGreen03
Caretaker

Re: Ticking on cold startup (cptnsolo77)

Post by Caretaker »

yup, I have the same thing on my '09 (Corolla engine). It happens every morning whether it is cold or not, but is more noticable in the cold. It quiets down after 2 miles. I took it in to the dealer to get my comlaint on record, but they just patted me on the head and gave me a cookie and told me to take a hike.