Oil light came on..

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
yuppicide

Oil light came on..

Post by yuppicide »

I know we're a little bit overdue for an oil change, but I didn't know it was low.. not this low.Is the oil light supposed to come on when it's getting low or when it's already too low?The scenerio:I drove to the supermarket tonight and the oil light came on. The car turned off on me, causing steering to be tight, but I was able to pull over.I wasn't very far from home, but walking back in the dark is a pain since it's a busy road with no side to walk on and I had my dog with me.So, I started it back up and drove a bit further. Shut off on me again. This time I was lucky to get on a side street to the side of the road.I didn't have a flashlight on me, so I couldn't remove the oil cap and look inside where you fill it, but I did wait a few minutes, remove the dipstick and check there. It had oil.I waited maybe 10 minutes or so while I looked through the owners manual. I started the car up and took back roads home successfully without the light coming back on.When I got home I found the flashlight and looked inside where you fill it up. I can see metal in there.. that's not good, right? I only had a quart of 5w30 since my Corolla takes 5w20. After putting the quart in, I'm sure it needs more.I'll run out and get more in the morning before my Girlfriend goes to work.If the car sounds fine, chances are we didn't ruin anything? I mean, we drove it a lot on Saturday and I didn't notice anything at all. We drove it maybe not at all on Sunday (I forget), and she took it to work Mon, Tue, and Wed.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Do these cars have a low oil pressure shut off on them? How many miles since last oil change?
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

We're about 300 miles (400?) over due for an oil change.I meant to take it last weekend and didn't. This weekend for sure.I like to get up first thing in the morning and get there first, otherwise it usually takes hours of me sitting there.
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Could Toyota have put in a low oil pressure anti-darwinian shut-off sensor? Hope everything is okay with the engine. Stuff happens Good luck. Next time when one of those lights come on (I forget what they are colloquially called) pull over immediately and shut off the engine, get the manual and verify if it is something that could do serious damage. Start a routine of checking fluids too.I truly hope everything turns out okay.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

Yeah I didn't check the fluid since I was going Saturday.Now I have to wake up early (my Girlfriend leaves for work at 6am) to get oil.
10vibe

Re: (yuppicide)

Post by 10vibe »

What year, engine, and miles? How low was oil? After adding a quart, where was the level? I would not think it would be using or leaking that much oil. There might of been a ring compression problem on a couple different years that cause excessive consumption. Early 09 1.8 liters might of had that problem with the new low friction/compression rings. The 20 weight oil did not help in that regard. Some went to 30 weight. Clogged pcv valves can cause consumption too. More costly things are valve seals. The stalling has me really puzzled unless it was overheating that bad. What was the coolant temperatures doing? I wish there were oil temperature gauges. Was the engine getting really noisy? Hot? Steam? No check engine light? Need to check for codes. Metal shavings, chunks, is bad. There might of been some ecm reflashes to try to correct oil consumption on early 09's too, although I do not understand how that can work.http://townhall-talk.edmunds.c...67260http://www.toyotanation.com/fo...66454http://www.toyotanation.com/fo....htmlThere was a better thread on it, but having trouble finding it.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id ... 40427Sorry I cannot be of more help.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
jimincalif

Post by jimincalif »

Which came first, the engine stall or the oil pressure light? If the engine stalls the oil light comes on because the oil pump stops pumping. May not be an oil issue at all but something else causing it to stall.
"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill---------------------------------Who is John Galt?2 Vibes, 03GT & 07 base (kids drive)1993 Lexus LS4001980 Fiat Spider
BrettZ

Post by BrettZ »

I recall a women posting on here that a oil change shop had used the wrong oil filter and it had come off. Don't remember if the low oil light came on but she proceeded to drive home seizing the engine. This would lead me to believe there is no low oil shut off sensor.Can't find the post so this is all off memory.
Everything that we see is a shadow cast by that which we do not see. - Martin Luther King, Jr.
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Yeah, what Jimincalif said. I meant to ask that first too, now I feel like a heel. You are correct BrettZ, I doubt there is any kind of low oil pressure shutoff sensor, But there should be! Be right back, got to run down to the patent office......BrettZ, this might be the link you are talking about:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id ... -----Yup,I noticed you had a recent accident and had repair work donehttp://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=43786Also you have a check engine light that keeps coming on and you had the dealer reset or clear codes. What is the actual code that keeps coming back? You are also under the PCM/ECM recall. Did you have it flashed or replaced yet? You were also pulling fuses to turn off lights until you had the accident repair. Could any of these things possibly be causing a stall? Is the battery charged up? Battery, connections, Grounds, PCM/ECM harness connections, fuses? Short or ground problem because of the accident or repair?
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

Alright, well it's 7:30am. My Girlfriend just got back home. She didn't get very far. It kept stalling on her.So, here's what I know so far and to answer your questions.2008 Vibe - About 63,000 miles.The Oil Pressure light is what came on. I didn't see any other light. A few seconds after that light comes on the car shuts off.Car is not overheating.My Girlfriend took over 30 minutes to get home when it's only 5 - 7 minutes away where she was. She kept stopping letting the car rest and then driving again.Oil Pressure light came first, then stall.Code that comes on is P2610 or something (I can't remember the exact # off hand), but I have a print out from the dealer. It's related to the PCM/ECM. They are telling me there is no recall on our vehicle. I've been to two dealers. One would not look at it because there is no recall and demanded $120. The other where I had the accident repaired reset the code, but also stated there's no recall.I did pull a fuse off, but I did put it back on. Was just one fuse.
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

Actually, just spoke to Girlfriend. She said where she drove to usually takes about 15 minutes. Took her over an hour to get home. Sometimes could drive 2 mins, sometimes 10 mins.I'm looking for a tow truck driver now and will get it to the dealer today.Would oil pressure light only apply to engine oil or trans oil too? I read in the manual checking trans oil is trickier and I know with our miles it's probably due for a change.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

That P2610 code is basically a BAD ECU code. That should be a Warranty Item. Goodluck!
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

It's at the dealer now. They'll call me back today.$178 diagnostic fee. She bundled all her concerns into one fee. If I go through with repair they will waive fee.If I choose to fix PCM/ECM now then if they decide there's a recall later I'll have to send the receipt to GM for reimbursement.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

That should be under the 8/80000 warranty for emissions.
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

Oh yes, someone did suggest that to me earlier. I forgot about it. My only thought was 3/36000.
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

GOOD NEWS!No damage to car! Covered under 80k emissions warranty. She said it's 70k on the phone. Whatever.They ordered part, will replace and I'll have back tomorrow.Costing me an oil change, which I needed.So relieved!
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Good Deal! Was it the ECU/PCM?
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

Yep! Sorry I didn't say that. I was at work and can't really surf the web, but I was so happy I had to post.