Complimentary Service Card from GM

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
DeathCubeJ

Complimentary Service Card from GM

Post by DeathCubeJ »

Hi, I got a card in the mail from GM that claims to be good for 4 free oil changes / tire rotations / inspections at the (now defunct) local Pontiac dealer. Did anyone else get one of these? Is this GM trying to extend an olive branch to disgruntled Pontiac owners for eliminating their brand? Just curious. Thanks.
vibenvy

Re: Complimentary Service Card from GM (DeathCubeJ)

Post by vibenvy »

My mom and I haven't received anything yet, although we did get the same offer last year, but never used it because I change our oil and rotate our tires. Here's another thread started about it. There have been quite a few members who have posted in that thread about receiving the same offer, so it's definitely legit.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

I wish I'd get one.. I didn't get one last year either.. It would be nice.. especially since I just paid $63.00 for an oil change yesterday!!
petervivian

Re: (09vGT)

Post by petervivian »

That is expensive. Why not bring your own oil and filter and get a shop to change it. Usually 10-15 bucks labor.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
vibenvy

Re: (petervivian)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by 09vGT »It would be nice.. especially since I just paid $63.00 for an oil change yesterday!!Ouch !That's exactly why I change the oil in both our Vibes myself. A new Toyota oil filter is less than $4.00 and a 5 quart jug of Penzoil 5W-20 is less than $15.00 at Walmart. So, doing it myself only costs about $20.00 and it's super easy. It also gives me the peace of mind that the proper oil and filter have been used and it also gives me a chance to check air and cabin filters, tire pressure, other fluids, etc. It's a great time to bond with the Vibes .
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Got it yesterday.The reasons are to get Pontiac Vibe owners to the "new" Gm dealership so they can sell you a Chevrolet, Buick, or Cadillac. In general there is a lot of service money to be made on most Pontiac's. I wonder if Vibe's magically get more problems when serviced at the "new" dealer. The best way to get somebody interested in a new shiny vehicle is to not be able to diagnose or fix niggling problems to the customers satisfaction.Another possible nefarious "Mel Gibsonesque Conspiracy Theory" reason for the offer is to get Vibe's that have not had all the recall work performed in so they can put the pressure on to get the recalls done or to sign a waiver.I have no proof, just starting an evil internet rumor. Seriously though, I do not want a Gm tech that has done zero of these recalls touching my car. Especially the brake booster vacuum line reroute. I do not want them checking my valve lash or diagnosing noises either. Bad enough that I might let them at it with a grinder on my new car. A nickel shim and an exacto knife cutting up my floor is pushing it. Hypothetical conversation with Gm service writer or Tech:Customer, "Does this engine cold start noise sound normal?" Gm Tech, "I do not know. I do not deal with Toyota engines. I am a GM tech, we see very little Toyota engines except for an old Chevy or Geo Nova or Prism that comes in as a trade." Customer, "Is this shift bump normal?" Gm Tech, "I do not know. I could not replicate the problem and have little experience with Toyota transmissions.....seems normal to me compared to the South Korean transmissions in the Aveo, Cruze, and Malibu...."I am being overly harsh. These guys are intelligent professionals with lots of experience. These things are not that hard. It should not bother me. But it does. Especially when after talking to the Gm Pontiac warranty people and having them scour for dealerships that have performed these recalls, they cannot find any that has done them all. Just one that has done the shim. It is close, has all three Gm brands and is the dealership they recommend me to go to. I told them I would drive a hundred miles to go to an experienced dealership for these recalls. Gm says that could be dangerous driving all that way until the recall work is done. I could go right down the street to the former Pontiac dealership that also have the Toyota dealership, who has done thousands of these recalls, but Gm will not pay for it and will not honor the work, warranty or liability if I pay the former dealership to do it. The former dealership did not feel comfortable doing it anyway, because of that.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by 09vGT »I wish I'd get one.. I didn't get one last year either.. It would be nice.. especially since I just paid $63.00 for an oil change yesterday!! Gee, none of the strip clubs around here are doing oil changes.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
waveresponder

Post by waveresponder »

just got one in the mail today....considering im at 52200 ima try schedule a visit thursday!
Vinlandr

Post by Vinlandr »

Quote, originally posted by 09vGT »I wish I'd get one.. I didn't get one last year either.. It would be nice.. especially since I just paid $63.00 for an oil change yesterday!! Overpriced I think unless you asked for expensive synthetic oil.I just had mine changed last monday at the Chevy Dealer while I was having my 2006 checked for the PCM recall.Oil change including taxes : $48.95 but for regular vrac 5W30
Vibe base 2006 Neptune Blue Powerpack
Flinst0ne

Post by Flinst0ne »

I got one Monday. I'm with all the conspiracy theorists here. GM sent this out so that they can keep tabs on the mileage, etc. on our cars so they know when warranty items run out. An oil change probably costs them about $8 to do. Considering the owners manual recommends only changing the oil once every 5K miles and the card is only good for a year, they are trying to get everyone in to update their records. That being said, my '05 with 100K miles, everything is past warranty anyway, i might as well use it once or twice.
jake75

Re: (Vinlandr)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by Vinlandr »Overpriced I think unless you asked for expensive synthetic oil.I just had mine changed last monday at the Chevy Dealer while I was having my 2006 checked for the PCM recall.Oil change including taxes : $48.95 but for regular vrac 5W30Dealers here typically are charging $29.95 for a dino oil change - but they like to use the 5w-30 they buy by the barrel. Want extra for 5w-20. They really upcharge if you want synthetic. Seems to me it was $69.95 so you are paying $40 for 4 qts of Mobil 1 and not getting any credit for the dino oil they are not using.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jake75

Re: Complimentary Service Card from GM (Flinst0ne)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by Flinst0ne »I got one Monday. I'm with all the conspiracy theorists here. GM sent this out so that they can keep tabs on the mileage, etc. on our cars so they know when warranty items run out. An oil change probably costs them about $8 to do. Considering the owners manual recommends only changing the oil once every 5K miles and the card is only good for a year, they are trying to get everyone in to update their records. That being said, my '05 with 100K miles, everything is past warranty anyway, i might as well use it once or twice. Conspiracy? Just to know when your warranty is up? They will find that out soon enough if you come in for a warranty repair. I am sure that GM is paying their dealers more than $8 for a LOF and tire rotation. They probably convince the dealers to take some hit with the argument that it gives the dealers an opportunity to sell other services, tires, etc., maybe even a new car.
09vGT

Re: (Vinlandr)

Post by 09vGT »

Quote, originally posted by Vinlandr »Overpriced I think unless you asked for expensive synthetic oil.I just had mine changed last monday at the Chevy Dealer while I was having my 2006 checked for the PCM recall.Oil change including taxes : $48.95 but for regular vrac 5W30I normally only pay somewhere around $50 bucks for synthetic oil change at the local dealer at home. My college town is much larger.. around 6 times as big.. So I'm guessing the high price is because of the larger town. I will just get my oil changes at home from now on..
trb

Post by trb »

I got this offer as an email today, and the Vibe is just about due for an oil change. I haven't had them check the PCM module recall yet, so I guess it is a good time to get it done.I'm sure they will use this opportunity to let you know about EVERYTHING that is wrong with your car, thus the "27 point inspection" inluded in the offer. I'll bet they will make more than enough in additional repairs on the average to pay for the oil changes and then some.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
TONY TAT2

Post by TONY TAT2 »

Got 1 last year,but never used it.
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
wingman7000

Post by wingman7000 »

I got one last week too. I plan to use it soon since I'm do for an oil change. Can't beat the price...FREE (complimentary!!!)
rAERRK

Post by rAERRK »

just got one today, i figured only recent buyers would receive them. cool beans
LavaIlliniVibe

Post by LavaIlliniVibe »

I got one last year in the Fall, because I KNOW I have done two oil changes on it already and didn't get the last one done there, so several months now... anyway, it all worked--no sweat! Didn't cost me a dime (except for the sad feeling that Pontiac is really gone... )
Gandalf

Re: (rAERRK)

Post by Gandalf »

There is no such thing as a 'free' oil change.They expect to find 'something' else that needs repair.And given the level of 'honesty' I've found at most dealerships, if they DON'T 'find' something.... they will still 'FIND something'.Whether it REALLY needs fixing or not....or they will make SURE it needs fixing, when they are done with their little 'gold prospecting' '27 point inspection. You couldn't PAY me to take my car to a GM dealership for an oil change. It's not worth the risk to my car.When I took my car in for the PCM change, I MADE the service writer write on the ticket 'be sure to disconnect the battery, please', and DON'T DO ANYTHING ELSE TO THE CAR.They DIDN'T disconnect the battery, which COULD have fried a LOT of thingsI don't know if they frakked anything ELSE up.If you want to know if they are doing what they are supposed to: put a little dot of white-out on bolts, and see if it's still there when you pick up the car.I put a little on both the negative AND positive battery bolts.The 'service technician' NEVER touched EITHER battery bolt.GM technicians are mostly idiots. Lazy, stupid, ignorant, idiots.The FIRST thing you should do when working on ANYTHING electronic, is to disconnect the battery.If they are too frakkin' LAZY or STUPID (or BOTH) to do that...why would I WANT them to anything else?