2009+ Vibes: Compatibility with Toyota Matrix Bluetooth controls?

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
ponta2147

2009+ Vibes: Compatibility with Toyota Matrix Bluetooth controls?

Post by ponta2147 »

Since I don't want to hijack that other thread...I know one of the main differences between the Toyota Matrix and the Pontiac Vibe is the entire sound system setup, so what I am wondering is this (from people who know way more about this than I do):Is the Toyota factory Bluetooth (the one controlled by the steering wheel controls) compatible with the Pontiac Vibe premium sounds system (Monsoon setup, etc.)? I am guessing NO, so...Is there an aftermarket headunit for 2009+ Vibes that has Bluetooth, XM, AND OnStar capabilities (and USB and/or AUX input as well) which is also compatible with the Toyota factory wheel controls (audio and Bluetooth)?Yeah it's kind of a lot of demands, but it would be ideal for me, even if I have to (pay someone to) replace the entire headunit. I don't even mind if I have to hide a microphone somewhere in the car (as opposed to using the functionality built into the car)I dunno... since this is our business/travel car, we take it on a lot of long trips and have to be on a lot of calls, so adding the Bluetooth (and better inputs for mp3s) while keeping the XM (which I am addicted to now) and the OnStar (I know that one is more of a challenge, and if I have to get rid of it I will I suppose) is kind of important.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
audiovibe

Re: 2009+ Vibes: Compatibility with Toyota Matrix Bluetooth controls? (ponta2147)

Post by audiovibe »

hey Michelle, Most new aftermarket radios will be compatible with the steering wheel controls, all it takes is an adapter. All aftermarket radios will be compatible with Onstar, this will be dependent on the aftermarket harness you buy.Almost every radio on the market has support for the XM all it takes is an add on module from the radio manufacture.Alot of the newer radios are Bluetooth capable some need additional hardware some have it built in. I don't think you would be able to utilize the factory Bluetooth button without some hacking.Most newer aftermarket radios will also have an aux in the form of USB for the masses to use as they see fit.Are you thinking about doing navigation or just a standard radio?
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

Saw your other post about the steering wheel controls and onstar.Here is what you would need.This would be for the steering wheel controls and Onstar, though to use it you would need to pick a radio that was steering wheel control ready. There are also generic steering wheel kits available that work via IR.http://www.sonicelectronix.com....html
ponta2147

Re: 2009+ Vibes: Compatibility with Toyota Matrix Bluetooth controls? (audiovibe)

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by audiovibe »hey Michelle, Most new aftermarket radios will be compatible with the steering wheel controls, all it takes is an adapter. All aftermarket radios will be compatible with Onstar, this will be dependent on the aftermarket harness you buy.Almost every radio on the market has support for the XM all it takes is an add on module from the radio manufacture.Alot of the newer radios are Bluetooth capable some need additional hardware some have it built in. I don't think you would be able to utilize the factory Bluetooth button without some hacking.Most newer aftermarket radios will also have an aux in the form of USB for the masses to use as they see fit.Are you thinking about doing navigation or just a standard radio?Ok, I saw I needed an adapter for the audio controls, but on the Crutchfield site, none of the ones they had were compatible with 2009 Vibe or Matrix, which is why I was asking. I saw that there were many units that had XM, CD, USB, etc. which were compatible with my car... but none of them mentioned OnStar compatibility.I don't mind not getting the factory Bluetooth buttons, and just getting one with a Bluetooth that does voice activation/commands.I don't like built-in navigation (hard/expensive to upgrade) so just a standard radio.
2009 2.4L Automatic with Preferred Package and Sun and Sound package May 2010 MOTM March 2011 VOTM
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

I'm still interested in figuring all this out, I will be the first to admit I don't have a clue about car audio (except that I like when it sounds good) so maybe message me or email me sometime and we can talk about specifics? I'm not trying to do any crazy customness, just trying to find the best plug-and-play system for my car.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Any updates on this? I mostly just want to figure out if there actually are adapters that work with the '09 steering wheel controls (I didn't see any when I looked). My husband is thinking of getting this for my birthday next month so we want to see what the prices will be...
elusiv31

Post by elusiv31 »

Hey I am new to the forum, anyways a good bluetooth adder for any GM vehicle is the Bluestar module. See http://www.costartech.com. You can read about it on the website.Gary
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

Ahhh... having issues, here it is copied from the "What did you do to your Vibe today" thread:*Attempted* to install a new headunit into my car http://www.crutchfield.com/s_1...oneer with the GM harness/adapter http://www.sonicelectronix.com....htmlI say attempted because we got all the wires hooked up right... we think... well the radio and CD worked, and the OnStar worked (which means that GM adapter at least partly worked) but we don't know how to get the XM to work, the subwoofer didn't work (which I suspected it might not, I only saw output to front and rear speakers unless I used an amplifier or something, I have no idea...), I couldn't figure out how to program the adapter to recognize the specific headunit because it needed a volume up button and this was a knob, AND didn't know how to get the car steering wheel controls to work even though it's supposed to work with the new adapter. So since we have NO idea what we are doing with car audio, we returned it to stock (which was really easy) and are waiting until we can figure this out (and probably buying more stuff to make it work... sigh...)Do I need another part to make my satellite radio work?What do I need to make the subwoofer work?
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

I think the xm radio is with the stock radio so if you changed out the head unit you will need to get a xm receiver and subscribe under the new receiver.As for the subwoofer, after the shop installed my head unit, the sub didn't work and they needed to add some kind of RCA wire or something to make it work. He spliced it into the harness and connected to one of the inputs on the head unit. I didn't install it myself but I think you might need another wire. Sorry don't know what it's called
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
ponta2147

Re: (lowincash)

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by lowincash »I think the xm radio is with the stock radio so if you changed out the head unit you will need to get a xm receiver and subscribe under the new receiver.As for the subwoofer, after the shop installed my head unit, the sub didn't work and they needed to add some kind of RCA wire or something to make it work. He spliced it into the harness and connected to one of the inputs on the head unit. I didn't install it myself but I think you might need another wire. Sorry don't know what it's called Not sure about the first part... the headunit and adapter/harness combo were supposed to retain factory XM capabilities... but I'll check. That second part sounds about right though.
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

The XM will require an add on module from the aftermarket radio manufacture. the add on modules are pretty easy, depending on the company could just be a din plug and the antenna, at worst case you would have to run power ground a din cable and the antenna.the sub woofer will be a little tricky, you would have to track the wire leads that go to the sub amps input, Maybe LOWINCASH could remove his radio to see what wires were tapped for the sub. This isn't a real hard fix it could just get time consuming. I will try to dig around and see what I can find.
ponta2147

Re: (audiovibe)

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by audiovibe »The XM will require an add on module from the aftermarket radio manufacture. the add on modules are pretty easy, depending on the company could just be a din plug and the antenna, at worst case you would have to run power ground a din cable and the antenna.the sub woofer will be a little tricky, you would have to track the wire leads that go to the sub amps input, Maybe LOWINCASH could remove his radio to see what wires were tapped for the sub. This isn't a real hard fix it could just get time consuming. I will try to dig around and see what I can find.Thanks for the input. I'll have to take a look re: XM because I was really hoping to retain my factory XM capabilities. The thing that Axcess was recommending to go with the GMOS harness was this http://www.sonicelectronix.com....html which I wasn't sure about, since it seemed to have an extra screen and stuff, which wasn't really what I wanted. Also the Axcess came with a steering wheel control adapter which I plugged in but it wasn't working, I wonder if this is because I need to program it to recognize the Pioneer headunit, but I couldn't figure out how to do that because it wanted me to use a Volume Up button to program it, and I have a knob-controlled volume...What I would ideally like to do with the subwoofer is hopefully do any splicing on the harness wires, rather than the factory wires, to make it easier to return to stock if necessary... if that makes sense.Yeah... my husband knows electronics in general but mostly on the pro side- when it comes to anything on the consumer side, including cars, neither of us have any idea.For everyone else's reference, these are the products I purchased:Pioneer headunit: http://www.crutchfield.com/s_1...FrontAxcess GMOS wiring harness (to keep onstar, XM, chimes, wheel controls, etc.) http://www.sonicelectronix.com....html
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

How did you wire up the harness, was it using the Wire inputs or the RCA inputs?I was mistaken; I just got done reading through the manual of the GMOS-100, it will retain the factory XM (Satellite). on page 2 of the Pontiac Vibe section under the heading from the 30 way harness. You will only need the XIA-LCD if you dont have steering wheel controls. Did XM information show on on the DIC with the factory radio?The steering wheel controls will need to be programmed, Just plug it all in turn the car on, then the radio on, and then hold the volume up button on the steering wheel.
ponta2147

Re: (audiovibe)

Post by ponta2147 »

Quote, originally posted by audiovibe »How did you wire up the harness, was it using the Wire inputs or the RCA inputs?I was mistaken; I just got done reading through the manual of the GMOS-100, it will retain the factory XM (Satellite). on page 2 of the Pontiac Vibe section under the heading from the 30 way harness. You will only need the XIA-LCD if you dont have steering wheel controls. Did XM information show on on the DIC with the factory radio?The steering wheel controls will need to be programmed, Just plug it all in turn the car on, then the radio on, and then hold the volume up button on the steering wheel.Using the wire inputs because the RCA inputs were, according to the instructions, only supposed to be used with an external amp? That's what the picture said, anyway.On the factory radio, all XM info showed up and was controlled on the display panel like everything else. But I couldn't figure out how to access or test the satellite radio on the new unit. Sigh.I think we're slightly in over our heads- we're good at following directions, but pretty limited at "making this stuff up as we go along" lol... if you have any chance you could come up here and help us out, we could buy/make you lunch/dinner
audiovibe

Post by audiovibe »

I might be able to come up, but I probably won't have much extra time until mid July.
ponta2147

Post by ponta2147 »

I'll try to take some pictures of what we had done so far the next time I work on the car, then I'll have a good basis for trying to figure out what I need to do next.To recap, the problems are:- Get subwoofer to work- Get satellite radio to work- Get steering wheel controls to workHaven't even tested the Bluetooth out yet.FM/AM, OnStar, and CDs all work.