Top Gear America

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
audiovibe

Top Gear America

Post by audiovibe »

Alright I know there are some Top Gear fans on here so please discuss the American version.I kinda enjoyed the show, though it was kinda generic trying to be to much like the original, i mean c'mon a second Stig, they could have at least gave Paul Tracey (my speculation on the American Stig) his own identity. The look like they have a sweet test track. I really don't see this show lasting the season unless they change some stuff up.
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style
Whelan

Re: Top Gear America (audiovibe)

Post by Whelan »

I can see it lasting more than a season, they do need some tweaks as with any show in it's infancy. The Stig is kinda played over and they utilize some stuff from the original show which is fine with me.I'm just happy there is no Jeremy Clarkson. To me he is just annoying and hates any car that costs less than 100K. I wish they would do more with cars the mainstream drive, take a Camry and pound on it, or a Mazdaspeed 3 vs. WRX vs. whatever. I'm sure some of that will come to fruition.All in all I was pleased but they could have definitely added more cars to the episode, they played the Viper thing out too long and the Lambo top speed standing mile was very drawn out, but the sounds were amazing! I'll take a V12 SV anyday over the other two, but man I love me some gated shifter!Buzz Aldrin looked and acted like he was still in space. I'm guessing his age had to do with some of it but it was very uneventful, should be good to see some better drivers take the SX4 around the course.And and Viper ACR with Stif driving was total Nastiness!At the end of the day I'm a fan and set my DVR to get each episode.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
wt2ga

Post by wt2ga »

The Original
lovemyraffe

Re: Top Gear America (wt2ga)

Post by lovemyraffe »

The American version is trying too hard to recreate the chemistry between Clarkson, Hammond and May. I watched it last night but wasn't overly impressed. I'll give it some more time to see if it will grow on me a bit, but first impressions:
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

...another "ALL IN THE FAMILY" it is not!
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
midnighthunder89

Post by midnighthunder89 »

I think it will improve as time goes on the uk topgear season 1 was not the best but it got alot better as time went on
2010 Vibe 2.4L 5 speed manual.
03VibeOttawa

Re:

Post by 03VibeOttawa »

I had no idea they were doing an American one.. I'll definitely give it a chance. The only sections of episodes I like on the UK one are the actual car reviews - not their in-studio off-topic commentary, celebrity interviews or attempts at humor.
03VibeOttawa–’03 Salsa 5spd. Fast Wheels Blade 17”s/Fuzion Zr1s (summer),Blizzak Revo1/’04 WRX rims, (winter),Tokico HP Struts,Tein S-Tech Springs,Progress RSB,K&N Typhoon SRI,SLP ram air hood,Magnaflow CB,DC header. Sold 11/9/2012 w/ 217,633kms.
tribalman

Post by tribalman »

did they do a similar bit to "celebs in a reasonably priced sedan"? i loved that in the brit version. i haven't watched it as i'm morally opposed to it. why must we take stuff from them, copy it, and do it wrong? (office, an attempt at spaced)
None. Vibe is gone.
lovemyraffe

Re: Top Gear America (tribalman)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by tribalman »did they do a similar bit to "celebs in a reasonably priced sedan"? i loved that in the brit version. i haven't watched it as i'm morally opposed to it. why must we take stuff from them, copy it, and do it wrong? (office, an attempt at spaced)I like the celebs in a reasonably priced car except for most of Top Gear UK's celebs I haven't heard of. But I do agree with you on the fact that we take a good thing from the Brit's and screw it up (like The Office).
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
jammies

Re: Top Gear America (lovemyraffe)

Post by jammies »

You must have missed the UK version with Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz, or the episode with Marc Wahlberg, Partick Stewart, Jeff Goldblum, etc...http://topgear.wikia.com/wiki/...d_carI have watched the UK version for numberous seasons and find the running gags ( captain slow, bumping each others cars, the constant knocking the others' choice in cars, spending X pounds on a Y car and then attempting assigned tasks, etc ) to be an unmeasurable part of the charm of the show. The new show does not have it, sorry to say. Not yet, at least.Tanner Foust does not interact well with others. He is accustom to being lauded and has difficultly giving others the spotlight. Tanner had a show ( SuperCars exposed ) where he drove exotic cars, in which he was good because it was only him, or a better production staff. In Battle of the Supercars Tanner showed just how much of talent he lacks. But then again, Paul Tracy suffers from an extreme Napoleon complex. Undoubtly a very telented driver, but Tanner wants everyone to keep acknowledging his skills...Adam Ferrara's interview with Buzz was completely pointless. In addition, Adam was left stumbling for words when describing Buzz's lap. No names for the corners, like Gambon. Just Turn number 2. Adam can not interview to save his life.Rutledge Wood on the other hand has potential. He most resembles the wit which made the UK series a hit. This was evident in his dialog with Foust while parked in the Viper. In addition he is an average Joe. No chip on his shoulder. Comfortable with his own presence.A major difference is the UK version has a HUGE budget. Apparently the biggest on the BBC. Wonderful cinematography. Excellent editting. Better scripts and dialog. All lacking in the US version. In addition, the UK version is extremely entertaining. It is not just a show about cars, but moreover the adventures/misadventures you can have with your cars.More importantly is the interaction in the UK series. The three cast members are well defined. Their attitudes and perspectives are well established. Granted Jeremy Clarkson's preference for german automobiles is a given, but that is his point. It is suprizingly entertaining when he lauds something you would not expect, and he is amazingly blunt in the face of automobile quality..... But then again, when he was nailed in the nads by a paintball from an F1 -- Priceless.Only time will tell if the US series is as entertaining. They have a way to go. The UK series has established a legacy which will be tough to match.