Hello All

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
anthonygobot

Hello All

Post by anthonygobot »

Thought I would start out with a hello in the Wheels & Tires since that is probably the first cosmetic mod I plan to do. I like to go mountain biking and hiking so I probably wont lower it too much since im usually in the country on gravel roads etc.
Wolfman213

Re: Hello All (anthonygobot)

Post by Wolfman213 »

Welcome to GenVibe.com! We like pics around here so feel free to get some up and give us some more info about your Vibe!! And since you are just in KY, you should look into This Thread
April 2010 Co-MOTM * Custom LED Gauge Cluster swap * LED dome, HVAC, and shifter * Retrofit projector w/ blue halo * Kenwood KDC-HD942U * Herculined cargo area * Debadged *Wolfman's Garage
vibenvy

Re: Hello All (Wolfman213)

Post by vibenvy »

Quote, originally posted by anthonygobot »Thought I would start out with a hello in the Wheels & Tires since that is probably the first cosmetic mod I plan to do. I like to go mountain biking and hiking so I probably wont lower it too much since im usually in the country on gravel roads etc.FYI when looking for wheels...If you have the 1.8L engine, your bolt pattern is 5 x 100If you have the 2.4L engine, your bolt pattern is 5 x 114.3Quote, originally posted by Wolfman213 »Welcome to GenVibe.com! We like pics around here so feel free to get some up and give us some more info about your Vibe!! And since you are just in KY, you should look into This Thread LOLI just posted pretty much the same exact thing in his thread in the Lounge !
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
anthonygobot

Post by anthonygobot »

I plan to go with 16's and possibly a bigger tire to fill some gap. I may not lower it because I plan to order my hitch and bike rack soon. Any tire size suggestions?
vibenvy

Re: (anthonygobot)

Post by vibenvy »

The factory size is 205/55/16. That's what I went with on my 16" winter steelies and it rides fine. Search around the Wheel & Tire forum though because other people have upped the size for an even better ride, but I can't remember offhand what other sizes I've seen for the 16s.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
glennpert

Re: (J_TO_ENVY)

Post by glennpert »

Welcome!!! If you like to do those thing definitely dont go over a 17" wheel. I used to have some 18" chrome wheels and it rode really rough.
vibolista

Re: Hello All (anthonygobot)

Post by vibolista »

On a Vibe with 16 inch wheels, I've seen tires as big as 225/60 16s. That would give you a little more clearance for dirt roads and the capability to run temporarily at lower psi to float on sand and mud, or to run smoother on a bad stretch of unpaved road. If you do go with a larger tire like that, make sure it's a proven rain tire that evacuates water well. You won't want hydroplaning issues. There are plenty of good performing tires out there that would work fine in that respect.Just make sure you do your homework first.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
jkm311

Re: Hello All (vibolista)

Post by jkm311 »

Pushin' the Indy meet! Love it. Be awesome if you could show, GoBot!And I am one of the more recent members to go with a taller sidewall than stock. Bridgestone Potenza G019s 205/60/16 (as mentioned in my sig). I also didn't want to lose any clearance, yet I wanted the softer ride and to fill my wells more. Mission accomplished with these:http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=40632I have 3,000 miles on them and haven't looked back. Great ride, great looks and nice price. Already time for a rotation!Hope you find something you like, and hope to see you in July!
Steelies to the rescue.
anthonygobot

Post by anthonygobot »

Can you post pics of these wheels on your vibe? Just a side view will be good.
vibolista

Re: (anthonygobot)

Post by vibolista »

Probably not exactly what you want to see, but this will give you an idea how a 225/50 17 tire on a 35 mm offset wheel fits and fills the Vibe wheel well. This would be pretty close to a 225/60 16 or even a 215/60 16 tire. The 16 inch steelies and the 16 inch Vibe alloys both have 39 mm offsets, so the tires would sit 4 mm farther inside the wheel well. Only showed the 17 inch, to show the general size. Since you plan to drive dirt roads, stay with the 16 inch wheel size that allows a taller 60 aspect ratio sidewall for the extra margin of cushion you need when you go off the pavement. You can find a lot of aftermarket 16 inch alloy wheels that have a 40 to 35 mm offset range.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
lovemyraffe

Re: (vibolista)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by vibolista »Probably not exactly what you want to see, but this will give you an idea how a 225/50 17 tire on a 35 mm offset wheel fits and fills the Vibe wheel well. This would be pretty close to a 225/60 16 or even a 215/60 16 tire. The 16 inch steelies and the 16 inch Vibe alloys both have 39 mm offsets, so the tires would sit 4 mm farther inside the wheel well. Only showed the 17 inch, to show the general size. Since you plan to drive dirt roads, stay with the 16 inch wheel size that allows a taller 60 aspect ratio sidewall for the extra margin of cushion you need when you go off the pavement. You can find a lot of aftermarket 16 inch alloy wheels that have a 40 to 35 mm offset range. I just posted his other thread about this. I'm running 215/50/17 without any problems. I frequent dirt roads (my office is on a dirt road come to think of it) and haven't had any problems.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage