gm semi annual maintenence

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
09viber

gm semi annual maintenence

Post by 09viber »

is the semi annual money grab... i mean maintenance required for warranty or is it truely a money grab by dealers.I took the vibe in for the pedal recal today and the guy said you are due for a semi annual maintenance. So i took it but i think its bs. I compared it to one I had before and after driving 27000km between checks my brake pads have gained 1mm on the front and lost 1mm rear, my coolant was -40C now is -30C and they didn't rotate the tires as stated because I scuffed one with my foot before going in and it was still on the left rear after the "rotation"
Houston

Re: gm semi annual maintenence (09viber)

Post by Houston »

The only maintenance required is specified in your Owner's Manual. Ignore the signs hanging on the walls of the dealership or what the service department employees tell you.If it isn't in the book, it is not required.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
star_deceiver

Re: gm semi annual maintenence (Houston)

Post by star_deceiver »

Quote, originally posted by Houston »If it isn't in the book, it is not required.And for what is in the book, just keep your receipts!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
jake75

Re: gm semi annual maintenence (star_deceiver)

Post by jake75 »

Most of the maintenance they want to do is "check this, check that". The car is in warranty - if it breaks, they can fix it for free.For the first 36 months I change the oil and filter, rotate the tires, change the air filter. With long life coolant you don't even need that in the first 3 years, 36,000 miles. I am a bit of a nut on that in part because of the Dexcool gelling stories so if there is a good special on a coolant change I will do that after 2 years.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
09Vibe

Re: gm semi annual maintenence (09viber)

Post by 09Vibe »

Just had our 3rd oil change done at the dealer this week and they hit me with the same sales pitch... which is all that it is, the service reps have to try and up sell you on these kind of things - but then again it can be convenient for someone who doesn't want to take the time to rotate their tires and check their fluid levels, or may not know how?They may tell you they are going to lube the caliper sliders during this - but I highly doubt it, thats a common 'extra' to sell you which rarely gets done! As has already been said, if it's not in the manual then don't bother. But if it is convenient for you to have them do it... why not. Does it 'need' it? Certainly tire rotations... but lubing caliper sliders can be done on a yearly basis in my opinion... it would certainly extend the life and performance of your brakes.Only reason I am going to the dealer for these intervals is because they gave us some for free. As for this whole recall stuff... I'm waiting to see how that all pans out ! Haven't done it yet.
2009 2.4 Litre 5 Speed