Injen CAI installed, now hearing weird noises...

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
ragingfish

Injen CAI installed, now hearing weird noises...

Post by ragingfish »

Ok, I figured the "ready to buy a cai, need advice" thread was killed. I got me an Injen CAI, and I installed it, so now, it should read "Bought a CAI, need advice..."Anyway, my engine is making strange noises since I installed the CAI...It's hard to explain, but it sounds like a metal rattling, and it's really loud...kinda of like the sound you hear when a beat up old junker pulls along side of you at a light or something...This noise didn't exist until the CAI intall, but I can't say for sure the noise resonantes FROM the CAI...I actualyl haven't been able to pinpoint it's source at all...No CEL, no other lights have come on, but has anyone else experienced similar noises with a CAI installed? Now I'm concerned I might have screwed up something else in my engine while installing it...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
millster

Re: Injen CAI installed, now hearing weird noises... (ragingfish)

Post by millster »

I would definitely double check that vibra mount. However, what did you tie the rear VSV to? The people who have the TRD CAI have reported the VSV resonating throughout the car from the metal mounting bracket included with the intake. I would imagine if you tie the VSV so that it leans against something metal it would cause a similar problem.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
ragingfish

Re: Injen CAI installed, now hearing weird noises... (silverawd26)

Post by ragingfish »

quote:Does it sound like a clicking noise? Did you zip tie the one connection out of the way?Kind of a clicking, yeah. I zip-tied the VSV to the cable harness for the Cruise Control actuator...just like they show in the directions...quote:Another idea. You said you stripped the Vibra-Mount nut or something like that. Open up the hood and makre sure everything is secure. It might be rattling around in there ya know...Yeah, I had sheared the bolt edge off initially. But when I realized I had been installing it in the wrong hole (DUH! lol) I moved it to the other one and was able to securely fasten it. I made sure it was secure before I finished the install, and I checked it again before I reinstalled the fender walls. quote:I would definitely double check that vibra mount. However, what did you tie the rear VSV to? The people who have the TRD CAI have reported the VSV resonating throughout the car from the metal mounting bracket included with the intake. I would imagine if you tie the VSV so that it leans against something metal it would cause a similar problem. See first reply -- VSV secured to Cruise Control actuator wiring harness, as shown in the picture installation guide.Did I forget to mention this clicking-metal-rining noise is noticed mostly while the car is sitting still and idling? I opened the hood to see if I could locate the source of the noise, and I checked the VSV and held it in my hand, but the noise was still there. So it definitely isn't the VSV...It kinda sounds like money clanging in a coin counting machine, ya know what I mean?
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Yeah, could be a coffee percolator...lol...

2009 PONTIAC G8
dmitri

Post by dmitri »

are u sure that its not just your engine...my vibe gt doesnt really idle to smooth, i dont think any vibes do its kind of rough some times (yes i use premium gas). you should expect it to be louder and noisier when you install a cai. Alot of you seriously should consider going to barnes and noble and get a book on engines and start reading.
millster

Post by millster »

If it's that loud, I'm at a loss. I know I forgot about the hold-down for the battery until I tried to close the hood (ouch). I don't think that's the case here though, that wouldn't be so loud. I really can't think of anything that would make so much noise. I assume you also checked to see if there's anything that's swinging and hitting the CAI tube? The only thing I've noticed with mine is now that it's warm enough to roll down the windows, I realize how noisy this little engine is. Sounds like a quiet diesel. I hope you're able to solve your problem. If I happen to think of anything else, I'll be sure to post again.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

quote:are u sure that its not just your engine......Alot of you seriously should consider going to barnes and noble and get a book on engines and start reading. Yes, I'm sure. As I said, it didn't do this until after the CAI was installed...I'm not talking engine noise, I'm talking clear, obvious abnormal noises...No need to be so harsh... quote:I know I forgot about the hold-down for the battery until I tried to close the hood (ouch). I don't think that's the case here though, that wouldn't be so loud. I really can't think of anything that would make so much noise. I assume you also checked to see if there's anything that's swinging and hitting the CAI tube?Yeah, double-checked the battery mount, all is kosher. And nothing can be seen hitting the tube. I think I'm just gonna have to record it so you can understand what I mean...quote:If you can post a sound clip of it... That would help out a lot..I was just thinking that myself...Once my cable internet comes back up, I'll post a clip of it...probably tomorrow...Thanks guys, appreciate the help!

2009 PONTIAC G8
millster

Post by millster »

quote:are u sure that its not just your engine......Alot of you seriously should consider going to barnes and noble and get a book on engines and start reading. Yes, I'm sure. As I said, it didn't do this until after the CAI was installed...I'm not talking engine noise, I'm talking clear, obvious abnormal noises...No need to be so harsh... Agreed. Dmitri, we're just trying to "talk" things out here. It's often difficult to get a perfect idea of what a problem may be just by reading text. Similarly, it's hard to grasp a person's meaning from text. Stating that we need to read up on our engines really had nothing to do with the problem at hand and did come across a little harsh. I understand you may not have meant it that way, but please be aware of such statements. Ragingfish, hopefully your sound clip will bring about a solution.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

quote:You are missing some push rivits right? *static* umm, that's a negative chief. all push rivets accounted for and reinstalled. *static* rage out. *static*

2009 PONTIAC G8
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

quote:Did you connect the right Vaccuum hose up? I am trying to run through all the possibilites..... Might want to start your Vibe up right now, just pop the hood and see where the noise is coming from. Them put you hand on the CAI Piping and with a flashlight listen and follow.Well, it's 1:30 in the AM, and pitch black out...but I'll certainly give that a shot in the morning...However, I know there was only one vacuum hose left after I got the old intake outta there...and that's the one I hooked up to the "nipple" (what a horrid choice of words lol) on the injen..

2009 PONTIAC G8
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

What. I love that word! nipple nipple nipple! Hehehe Anyways, I'm sure its this Your VSV. Try to zip tie it to another place and see if that fixes it. Mine does that too. I just turn up the music or drive faster if it gets annoying. I've had mine for over 7 months and it still runs great. No CEL or anything.
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
rasermon

Re: Injen CAI installed, now hearing weird noises... (Lancer)

Post by rasermon »

Seem that our members have covered all the good question that I would ask. I found this sound/video clip from one of the other sites. http://members.rogers.com/xrs/matrix/click_noise.mpeg
Satellite 03 GT Retirement ----> Moderator for Genvibe.com 2002 - 2007 A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says (removed)
MadBill

Re: Injen CAI installed, now hearing weird noises... (rasermon)

Post by MadBill »

Man, that is some raucous rap on the sound clip!Sounds like a little guy with a jackhammer! I occasionally hear a similar soundfrom my VSV, but nothing like that loud.
rasermon

Re: Injen CAI installed, now hearing weird noises... (MadBill)

Post by rasermon »

quote:Sounds like a little guy with a jackhammer! LOL!That sound/video was posted on the Matrix Owners site. http://matrixowners.com/modules.php?nam ... 8d60d11e84
Satellite 03 GT Retirement ----> Moderator for Genvibe.com 2002 - 2007 A fact of life: After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says (removed)
ragingfish

Re: Injen CAI installed, now hearing weird noises... (rasermon)

Post by ragingfish »

quote:Seem that our members have covered all the good question that I would ask. I found this sound/video clip from one of the other sites. http://members.rogers.com/xrs/matrix/click_noise.mpeg Nah, that's DEFINITELY not it...I'll get a audio recording and upload it...

2009 PONTIAC G8
millster

Post by millster »

Just out of curiosity Raging, you're not referring to the loud sucking noise when you first start the car are you? It sounds kind of like a belt slipping, or like something's wrong with the engine. The reason I ask is because you mentioned it's mainly when the car is idling. It is a normal sound, but it is a bit unusual.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
ragingfish

Re: Injen CAI installed, now hearing weird noises...

Post by ragingfish »

Wasn't able to get a clear sound recording of the engine noise. Gotta run to work, will try again tomorrow.In the interim, here are the pics from the install...it's not real nice, but I wanted to get them up there for people to see:http://www.cardomain.com/member_pages/v ... age=4Later guys. Thanks for the help again!

2009 PONTIAC G8
dmitri

Post by dmitri »

no, im sorry i didnt mean to be harsh before. I was kind of like this before i started doing engine work myself too.Im telling you, if thats not the clicking noise, and it sounds NOTHING like that, its probably the engine. Engines are noisy, the sounds you are hearing are a combo of our lifters and valves, and the sucking of the intake.
ragingfish

Re: Injen CAI installed, now hearing weird noises... (dmitri)

Post by ragingfish »

quote:no, im sorry i didnt mean to be harsh before. I was kind of like this before i started doing engine work myself too.No problem, thanks for clarifying. I am thinking about getting an "idiot's guide to cars" book sometime soon...quote:Im telling you, if thats not the clicking noise, and it sounds NOTHING like that, its probably the engine. Engines are noisy, the sounds you are hearing are a combo of our lifters and valves, and the sucking of the intake. You might be right. I noticed when I start driving it disappears... So my guess is that it's normal. It sounds a lot well, like a vacuum, now that I think about it....So my guess is that it's all normal? I'll shoot again for another recording tomorrow...just to be sure.

2009 PONTIAC G8
millster

Post by millster »

quote:Just out of curiosity Raging, you're not referring to the loud sucking noise when you first start the car are you? It sounds kind of like a belt slipping, or like something's wrong with the engine. The reason I ask is because you mentioned it's mainly when the car is idling. It is a normal sound, but it is a bit unusual.Referring to this post of mine from earlier, if it sounds like a vacuum, yes that sound is normal. Mine does that too, but just when it first starts up. Usually once it's warm it stops. I suppose it's something to do with the choke flap in the throttle body. To me it sounds similar to my old Weber carb on my Chevy Luv, just amplified by the CAI tube. You should notice it too when you are driving and push the clutch in. As the engine revs down it will make a quick burst hissing sound.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
millster

Post by millster »

True, it probably won't hiss when you push in the clutch.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
ragingfish

Re: Injen CAI installed, now hearing weird noises... (millster)

Post by ragingfish »

Yeah, I broke my clutch off. I decided I didn't need it anymore. No hissing sound from there!

2009 PONTIAC G8
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

THe noise seems to dissipate when I start driving, so I guess millster is right -- it sounds like something is majorly wrong, but in fact, all is well.Unfortunately, it hasn't stopped raining here since I installed, so because the roads are wet, I can't really test the pickup that well without spinning my wheels. Grrrr

2009 PONTIAC G8
millster

Post by millster »

quote:Yeah, I broke my clutch off. I decided I didn't need it anymore. No hissing sound from there! LOL. It would seem you are indeed just hearing the wonderful evil sounding CAI hiss. If you had a manual, when you push the clutch in and the engine raps down to idle, it makes a quick burst of the same noise. It also does it when you tap the pedal and rev the engine. Glad to hear everything's going well though. I'm going on one week with mine now and still no problems. I just checked all my connections and everything's still tight and connected. Silver, hope you get yours on soon. I can't wait to hear what it does for an AWD.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
dmitri

Post by dmitri »

Raging...so the nj meet is set to august 2nd. I might be in florida but i dont know yet. Am i gonna be the youngest one there? i dont want to be the only 17 year old amongst older people haha
Triton

Post by Triton »

I haven't had any noises come from mine that haven't already been documented. My VSV isn't that bad. But remember also that I have a GT. I'm not sure if the base would make any different sounds. From the posts that have already been made, it sounds like everything is ok.
***SOLD***2003 Vibe GT Monotone Neptune - Inaugural October 2004 Vibe of the Month***SOLD***

Now the proud owner of Titanium Silver 2012 Kia Optima SX
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

quote:Raging...so the nj meet is set to august 2nd. I might be in florida but i dont know yet. Am i gonna be the youngest one there? i dont want to be the only 17 year old amongst older people hahaHonestly, I have no idea the ages of the people attending. I'm only 22, and I think we'll have some younger people there. BUt I couldn't say for sure. Don't worry, we're all a big Vibe family...

2009 PONTIAC G8
PBFlash

Post by PBFlash »

Why are you worried about being the youngest one there? I wish I was the youngest one there but will probably be close to the oldest.
Satellite Vibe GTMoons and Tunes Package with 6-Disc In Dash CD, Safety/Security/Power Packages, cargo mat. 35% tint all around (except windshield)18 in Motegi Racing MR8 Wheels/Nitto NT 555 225/40ZR-18 tiresStainless Steel Exhaust TipInjen CAIPics of my Vibe CarDomain.com
ragingfish

Re: Injen CAI installed, now hearing weird noises... (PBFlash)

Post by ragingfish »

You think @ 32 you'll be one of the oldest? I doubt it...I'm sure we'll have some baby boomers there...

2009 PONTIAC G8