Another recall for the Vibes

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
PMC

Another recall for the Vibes

Post by PMC »

Here is the story that just hit news wires. I'm guessing we use the same pedals so this will be expanded to the Vibe whenever GM gets around to it.Probably months before GM in Canada catches onBC-US--Toyota-Recall,0114Toyota recalls 2.3M US vehicles to fix gas pedalsEds: APNewsNow. Moving on general news and financial services. NEW YORK (AP) -- Toyota is recalling 2.3 million U.S. vehicles tocorrect sticking accelerator pedals, the latest in a string ofquality problems that have bedeviled the Japanese automaker. The recall includes the 2009-2010 RAV4, the 2009-2010 Corolla,the 2009-2010 Matrix, the 2005-2010 Avalon, the 2007-2010 Camry,the 2010 Highlander, the 2007-2010 Tundra and the 2008-2010Sequioia. Toyota Motor Corp. spokesman Brian Lyons says the recall is dueto the vehicles' pedal mechanism becoming worn and, in some cases,stuck. The recall comes just months after Toyota issued a larger 4.2million-vehicle recall because of pedals getting stuck due toinsecure floor mats.
Vibe2009

Re: Another recall for the Vibes (PMC)

Post by Vibe2009 »

really.... another recall~
Red Hot Metallic 2.4L, 5sp Auto, 17" Chrome Clad wheels, XM
Zig

Toyota Recalls 2.3M Vehicles to Correct Sticking Accelerator Pedals

Post by Zig »

I need a picture of my new Vibe! Better to ZIG then ZAG!!! http://www.golittleguy.com/teardrops/ Our Website/Bloghttp://campinggills.com/
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

So..... is this going to affect my 09 Vibe?
Airmack

Post by Airmack »

I would think that it would effect your 09 vibe but it is GM's call if they recall it or not.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

More information can be found here http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=40149
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
cq358

Re: (ou.grizzly)

Post by cq358 »

Caretaker

Re: (cq358)

Post by Caretaker »

interesting post cq. My only problem with it is the comment left at the bottom of your link. Has anyone else heard of this:Difflock magazine wrote: The Vibe/Matrix also has issues with the intake manifold in cold climates.From the research I have done several hundred have had to have a gasket replaced in the intake manifold. No recall to date, and most of the owners had the replacement done under the original power train guarantee period.Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/p...iy4Wk
jake75

Re: (Caretaker)

Post by jake75 »

This was in the local paper -Stuck gas pedals spur another Toyota recall2.3 million vehicles affected; floor mats not to blame this timeFriday, January 22, 2010 2:56 AMBy Ken BensingerLOS ANGELES TIMESLOS ANGELES -- Toyota Motor Corp. said yesterday that it will recall 2.3 million vehicles because their gas pedals can stick open, potentially causing unintended acceleration.The new recall is separate from the automaker's recall of 4.3 million vehicles to prevent gas-pedal entrapment by the floor mats, which can cause the same problem. The prior recall, announced last fall, is under way.The Japanese automaker said that it will recall eight models, including the Corolla and Camry, because it noticed a trend of complaints from consumers of pedals that remained depressed. A Toyota spokesman described the problem as mechanical."We've been investigating claims of sudden unintended acceleration, so we cast a wide net, and we came across this issue," said Brian Lyons, a spokesman for Toyota's U.S. sales arm.He said the automaker identified a small number of complaints that it could verify, and as a result decided to initiate a recall. Lyons declined to say how many complaints the automaker had found.Toyota has not decided how it will remedy the pedal-sticking problem, and in the interim it is asking drivers who experience the problem to stop driving the car and notify a Toyota dealer as soon as possible.Of the 2.3 million vehicles being recalled, 1.7 million also are affected by the floor-mat recall. In that action, Toyota is replacing or modifying accelerator pedals, replacing floor mats, modifying carpeting and installing throttle-override software.Lyons said that the two recalls are unrelated and are aimed at discrete problems.The new recall involves the following models: the 2009-2010 RAV4, 2009-2010 Corolla, 2009-2010 Matrix, 2005-2010 Avalon, 2007-2010 Camry, 2010 Highlander, 2007-2010 Tundra and 2008-2010 Sequoia.No Lexus or Scion vehicles are included in the recall, Toyota said.---------------------------------------------------------So owners are to park them for a few months while Toyota figures this one out?---------------------------------------------------------And from AUTOMOTIVE NEWS - Jan 22, 2010Toyota is reviewing several potential fixes, including a new gas pedal and better lubrication, to address yesterday's recall of 2.3 million U.S. vehicles, a person familiar with the plan says.The newly identified problem is caused by a mechanism that controls the accelerator pedal's return to the idle position after being pressed to the floor, the person said. Toyota spokesman John Hanson confirmed the source's report that the components were made in Canada by supplier CTS Corp..A woman answering the phone at CTS' office in Elkhart, Ind., declined to comment. Messages left for two CTS officials weren't returned.The latest recall follows an ongoing recall of 4.2 million Toyota and Lexus vehicles announced last fall to address unintended-acceleration incidents.Yesterday, Hanson said the problem is rare and stems from pedals that “prematurely wear” because of a supplier's faulty pedal design. Today he said condensation can prevent the pedal from fully springing back into position, but he did not identify fixes Toyota is reviewing.Hanson said the issue involves only CTS, one of the two parts makers that build the pedal mechanisms for Toyota.The recall further tarnishes Toyota's reputation for top-notch quality. Last year's recall to replace floor mats, reshape accelerator pedals and make other fixes to address reports of unintended acceleration was Toyota's largest U.S. recall ever. It also pushed the automaker to the top of the U.S. safety recall list for the first time ever.New problemThe latest recall covers 2005-10 Avalons, 2007-10 Camrys and Tundras; 2008-10 Sequoias; 2009-10 Corollas, RAV4s and Matrixes; and 2010 Highlanders.The person familiar with Toyota's plan offered no timeline for the fix, but said replacing the pedal would take a long time because new components would have to be re-engineered and manufactured.The glitch is not related to the car's electronic throttle control system, the person said.The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has found no evidence of faulty electronic controls in Toyota vehicles, yet the technology remains suspect.“For some incidents, the only other explanation is the electronic controls,” said Clarence Ditlow, executive director of the Center for Auto Safety, based in Washington. “Toyota keeps saying there are no problems with the electronic controls, and we simply disagree.”Toyota's electronic throttle control system has dual sensors backstopping each other in monitoring the accelerator pedal's position, along with two more sensors double-checking the throttle position. Meanwhile, a control computer actuates the throttle and a monitoring computer surveys all the computer signals in the circuit.If any abnormal signals are detected, the engine is immediately returned to idle.Read more: http://www.autonews.com/apps/p...cbt4c
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
JetBlack09VibeGT

Post by JetBlack09VibeGT »

For the sake of this discussion the Moderator should merge these two posts together.http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=40149
cq358

Re: (Caretaker)

Post by cq358 »

The comment on AN didn't say anything about which engine/model/year of Vibe. I used to work in a Toyota dealership's service department, the only recollection of intake plenum leaky issue was for Camry with 2.4 L engine usually for 02-05 models. I think Toyota has redesigned the intake manifold for the 07 redesign. I still haven't see anything happen with the old 1.8 or the new 1.8 yet. I would think this issue is an isolated case.Hope this helps,
Vibe_dude

Post by Vibe_dude »

I laugh very loud at Toyota.LOL.......HAHAHAHA!Looks so good on them,for years trying to say they had better cars then GM,they made less cars and so had less recalls..no who is the king of car #'s and the king of recalls.LOL.
LOVE THAT VIBE 2003 Satilite Silver auto.......188,000kms.2006 Chevrolet Trailblazer White 4.2 Inline 6 291hp auto.........156,000kms.
Hutch7

Post by Hutch7 »

You can view the recall letter on SaferCar.gov. You have to look under the Matrix but Toyota's letter includes the Vibe.

484066=14728-001_RCDNN-10V017-1931.pdf
star_deceiver

Re: Another recall for the Vibes (Hutch7)

Post by star_deceiver »

Humidity causing metal to expand..... can't say I've heard that one before!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
trask

Post by trask »

I had my accelerator petal shim (Bar) installed today. Dealer called yesterday and I scheduled for 8 am this morning. There were three other 09 Vibes at the dealer already in line to get theirs serviced. Petal behavior is the same as before no noticeable difference. Service manager mentioned that a new accelerator petal module may be offered to owners sometime in the future under warranty, but I didn`t get anything in writing, so who knows. I never received anything in the mail from GM, so the phone call was a pleasant surprise.
2009 Vibe GT Sold
2012 Prius Four
2004 GMC HD2500
vintagegz

Post by vintagegz »

check out this articlehttp://www.thetruthaboutcars.c...ntary/
trask

Post by trask »

Quote, originally posted by vintagegz »check out this articlehttp://www.thetruthaboutcars.c...ntary/\Thanks, good stuff.Toyota should have just replaced the CTS petal unit with the Denso petal unit. Maybe this is what the dealer was referring to as a replacement in the future.Now as far as cutting or trimming metal from the petal to reduce interference with floor mats I may have some issues with that. I liked the picture of the sawzall, funny.
2009 Vibe GT Sold
2012 Prius Four
2004 GMC HD2500
yuppicide

Post by yuppicide »

They fixed my pedal pretty quickly. Someone told me that Toyota isn't the only brand of car that uses this pedal, but they're the main one you hear about.