I replaced the antenna mast last night. I was able to get the new part in and finish up in under two hours. The pictures I took came out kind of crappy, so I will just list the steps that I took to replace the part. My goal was to remove the headliner as little as is possible to get the job done.
First things first. I suggest that you buy or borrow a cheap set of moulding removal tools. I picked one up from harbor freight for about $5. They are an assortment of plastic pry bars. Some have a notch like a tool to pull nails. That works great on the cheapo plastic buttons. I also had a mirror that I could use to see the antenna nut... It was not visible with the little amount of headliner that I removed. I am pretty comfortable working on touch alone, so if you are not, you might want to consider dropping the entire headliner as you will need to remove at least half.
Secondly, the headliner material is not much better than a thin sheet of styrofoam. Go slowly and never force it or it will crack.
Step one ( remove two cheapo plastic buttons to the left and right of rear hatch light. I used the plastic pry bar tool to gently get between the headliner and button and then used my weight to pull them straight down. I don't recommend using the tool to pry them out... or you may crack the headliner.
The rear quarter panels were next. Each has an upper and lower section. It looks like the original assembly order was upper was put on first and then lower. I was able to completely remove the upper section without removing the entire lower section.
remove the upper cargo bolts on the lower section... I left the lower ones alone. pry the upper part away from the car starting at the part closest to the hatch. Put a pry bar between the headliner and plastic panel and pull straight out toward the other quarter panel. They popped out smoothly. as you pop out this panel toward the front, you will notice that the rear seatbelt mount must be removed.
Pry off the front cover with a screw driver. The front cover hinge is at the top and the place where you pry is just above the belt fabric. You will see the seam in the plastic where you pry.
As the entire uppper section was loose, but stil connected to the lower section, I removed the storage door on the lower section and used that to gently pull the top of the lower section away from the car. Once the top of the lower section is loose, you can separate the upper section from the lower and place it aside
Do the same on the other side of the car.
The hand grip for the back passengers also needed to be removed. you can access the screws by driving the flat edge of a screwdriver into the crack on both sides of the handle. The covers are hinged on teh side that touches the headliner and when you drive a screwdriver at the side farthest from teh headliner it pops lose. The two bolts there were 10mm, I think.
The only things holding back the headliner now are the rear hatch light and the rear door rubber moulding. The rear hatch light is connected to the body with two metal tabs. They are on either end of the light and diagonally across from each other. You need to pry off the platic cover with a plastic pry bar (should come off easily). Find those two tabs and move them toward the center as you pull down. I got one side to cooperate first and then had some understanding how they worked. The light stays in the headliner as the whole thing comes down.
The toughest part I found was the next step. You have to free the headliner from the rubber moulding on the rear doors. I made the mistake of trying to pry back the rubber and get the headliner out. What I found was MUCH EASIER was to pry the rubber moulding away from teh body and remove the part that holds the headliner. The moulding snaps onto the body and removing/replacing was very easy. I removed this moulding by twisting it down from the outside in. It popped lose very easily and I temporaril removed the top of both sides that was touching the headliner and left the moulding hanging for a while.
I also removed the passenger seat belt mount and pryed the B-pillar moulding away from the headliner for a little more room. Not sure if that was necessary.
Next post about replacing mount.