OnStar renewal deals

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
jake75

OnStar renewal deals

Post by jake75 »

I called today to cancel my OnStar service that expires on 1-11-10. I got a hard sell to keep it, and in response to my comment that it was worth $100 a year to me tops I got an offer of $149 for 14 months. She also said that I should check with my insurance agent as there may be an additional discount for having OnStar.1. Anyone know if I should push for an even better deal?2. Anyone getting an insurance discount for having OnStar?I have never used the "phone" - purchased an extra 100 minutes for $15 when I bought the car thinking I would.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
09vGT

Re: OnStar renewal deals (jake75)

Post by 09vGT »

I get an insurance discount.. I don't remember how much. I would probably take the deal.. But I love OnStar. That's the whole reason I went with a GM made car was because of it. No other car company offers any thing like it except luxury brands like BMW, Mercedes.. though I think Toyota now has added something like it. If you have a Verizon phone I think you can pair it up with OnStar so it uses your cell minutes. I don't so I only use the phone if I have to make a quick call or if I ran off and forgot my phone.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I think On-star is a collosal waste of money; another insurance scam if you ask me. I used the money to buy a lifetime subscription to XM, where I use it every day and am thankful that I have it. FM radio stations are quickly going away, and when you find a station you like, it transforms into some different genre. With XM, there is something always on to suit your taste.
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

I used the "phone" a few times... it was useless above 100km/h. nobody on the other end could hear me over the background noise. I get no insurance discount for having it. Starting in 2010, in BC it will be illegal to use a hand held device while driving (cell, text) so while some may opt to plug minutes into the car phone, I will do what I always do. When the cell rings I IGNORE it!!!OnStar's not worth the money IMO!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
jake75

Re: OnStar renewal deals (star_deceiver)

Post by jake75 »

Quote, originally posted by star_deceiver »I used the "phone" a few times... it was useless above 100km/h. nobody on the other end could hear me over the background noise. I get no insurance discount for having it. Starting in 2010, in BC it will be illegal to use a hand held device while driving (cell, text) so while some may opt to plug minutes into the car phone, I will do what I always do. When the cell rings I IGNORE it!!!OnStar's not worth the money IMO!I guess the "value" is the peace of mind that you might get from knowing that if you crash somewhere that is isolated you have a good chance of being found. But I assume that requires the electrical stuff to still be working - the battery power still getting to the OnStar unit etc.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Entelodont

Post by Entelodont »

I've got 300K liability, property damage, and uninsured motorist for $262 / 6 months through GMAC . Since the OnStar diagnostic is incompatible with our Vibes, the rate went up 40 / 6 months , negating the low mileage incentive. When I had the salespython on the phone, she said the OnStar discount was 33 / 6 months, so I don't think I'll renew. As you said, it would be worth it if the car is wrapped around a tree in the middle of BFE.
vintagegz

Post by vintagegz »

for that price it is cheap if you do not want to carry a cell phone, handy if you are out of town. Just go to Florida and use a hotel room telephone a few times and it will more than pay for itself, that is the reason I bought the Vibe over the Matrix.
JetBlack09VibeGT

Post by JetBlack09VibeGT »

I too canceled my OnStar on my G6 though I am still in the first year on the Vibe. I loved it on my G6 simply because I got an email every month with all of the info about the car, including a diagnostics check. Since the Vibe isn't a 100% GM built vehicle, OnStar doesn't provide 100% of its full service, therefore it should be a lot less or provide complimentary calling minutes, unlimited GPS, etc. But here is a fun fact... OnStar, at least in the US, uses Verizon Wireless as its network. If you have OnStar equipment in your vehicle and Verizon is your cell phone provider, you can "Add a Line" for $9 and make your OnStar calling an extra phone and share the minutes that you've already paid Verizon for. Its a nice alternative to trying to wire in a hands free kit.
ou.grizzly

Re: OnStar renewal deals (JetBlack09VibeGT)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by JetBlack09VibeGT »But here is a fun fact... OnStar, at least in the US, uses Verizon Wireless as its network. If you have OnStar equipment in your vehicle and Verizon is your cell phone provider, you can "Add a Line" for $9 and make your OnStar calling an extra phone and share the minutes that you've already paid Verizon for. Its a nice alternative to trying to wire in a hands free kit. I believe that option is not available for some after a certain date; i.e. it is no longer available to new subscriptions.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
Caretaker

Re: OnStar renewal deals (JetBlack09VibeGT)

Post by Caretaker »

when you talk about money, you sound like my wife........everything get's rounded down to the nearest $10. What do you mean $9??? Do you mean $9 per month? Even if it is nine (more dollars), you still have to pay the rediculous Off-star pricing per month. I think I'll stick to opening up my cell phone and dialing the number instead of paying monthly charges just for the "luxury" of using my Verizon service. Hands free is a great thing, don't get me wrong; in fact the best hands free is NOT USING THE PHONE IN THE CAR IN THE FIRST PLACE.
tpollauf

Re: OnStar renewal deals

Post by tpollauf »

Resurrecting an old thread there BUT didn't want to start a new on if this topic has already been covered. Anyways here's my dilemma. Last fall, when the wife's G8GT OnStar had expired, we decided to let it go for good. Her car saw very limited driving this winter due to the hard winter so far and why pay all that $$$ for a vehicle just sitting. When My vibe's OnStar expires this May 26th (my 5th year anniversary of Vibe ownership) I will likely let it go also for good. Anyways I then got this "we want you back" offer online. I got this offer TWICE i nthe past three months. The first begging offer was on Jan 10th 2014 and the second one came today March 10,2014. Seeing how our new Silverado will have it's six month trial of OnStar expiring next month, I figured I call them up and do some negotiation on reinstating the G8GT and extending the Silverado. OK! When I called I got the "customer loyalty team" out of Warren Michigan right off the bat. Things were looking good so far. Then I explained why I was calling and that I wanted to "cash in" on the internet offer that I had received. Now the transferring of departments and personnel began BUT still OK for now. I eventually got the Team Leader (a special title for MANAGER) who told me that the offer had expired and that it was mistakenly sent to me. Apparently, according to him, it was intended for dealership employees and executives only, and that the best that they could do was $159 a year. This "team leader" then wanted the proof that I actually received such a notice. I then gladly forwarded the e-mail to him. After several more delays & transfers, I eventually got them to honor the original request. The nice thing is that they honored it for BOTH the G8Gt and the new Silverado. I got the wife's G8GT for only one year BUT got a four year on the Silverado seeing how it will be the multi-used vehicle for our family and figured I may not get such a deal again in the future. My phone call started at 6:45pm and concluded at 7:58pm. It took that long to negotiate what THEY offered me in the first place.

Conclusion. Happy with the end results BUT us consumers should NOT have to be so diligent and forthcoming just to get something which is already offered to you. The Sisius/XM people are actually WORSE as they have a higher % of call centers overseas, which I refuse to deal with. Just thought I'd share this with all :D

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
09vGT

Re: OnStar renewal deals

Post by 09vGT »

tpollauf wrote:The Sisius/XM people are actually WORSE as they have a higher % of call centers overseas, which I refuse to deal with. Just thought I'd share this with all :D
A couple of years ago when I called to cancel they were going to give me $9.99 a month. Looks like they're getting stingy.

Really? I had no problem last week renewing my XM for a year with all channels and internet radio for 119.00 including fees. Took me 15 minutes.