Swollen Lugs

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
awfavre

Swollen Lugs

Post by awfavre »

Hi all. I have an 04 with about 110k miles. I recently had my first flat on this car & couldn’t get my never-before used lug wrench (the one that came with the vehicle) over 3 of the five lugs. A guy who came along & rescued me had to use two or three different sized sockets on his lug wrench. He said the lugs must have been swollen to make them change sizes like that. He suggested the dealer tightened them too much (they do my rotations & balances, which was done a few days before the flat). The lugs themselves were pretty worked over, with the flat surfaces pock-marked & not so flat anymore. When I took the flat back to the dealer for fixing, they told me it’s a common problem with the Vibes. They said even if I changed the lugs, it would still be a problem. They said basically, I had to start carrying a multi-socket lug wrench to deal with the problem.I searched the forum for this issue, using the search function & reading the threads in the wheels & tires section, & I didn’t see anything about swollen lugs being an issue. Anyone else have this problem?
djkeev

Re: Swollen Lugs (awfavre)

Post by djkeev »

Ah!I just love schumucks with air powered tools!!You can thank you local mechanic and tire shop for your woes.They used an air impact wrench to install your wheels and the force of tightening them well beyond the 90 lb +/- ft lbs torque specified misshaped the hex of the nut.You can remove them and file off the buggers or just purchase some new ones and vow to never never never ever let another shop install your wheels with an impact wrench!!!!!! They are ok to remove but installing?? Pass.Make your feelings known at the next shop visit, they will grumble and (removed) and moan but they should do as you wish. Best if you can watch. I have little to no trust for a repair shop. I've seen them torque nuts when a customer is actually in the shop and then impact them once the customer is gone!I'll be honest, an impact wrench is fun! I have one, I use it for certain applications but reinstalling wheels isn't one of them.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
lovemyraffe

Re: Swollen Lugs (djkeev)

Post by lovemyraffe »

I've never heard of lug nuts swelling. It could have been a different size lug nut to begin with.I believe the proper torque specs for the lug nuts are 76 ft/lbs.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
djkeev

Re: Swollen Lugs (lovemyraffe)

Post by djkeev »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »I've never heard of lug nuts swelling. It could have been a different size lug nut to begin with.I believe the proper torque specs for the lug nuts are 76 ft/lbs.The beating of the hex by the socket (not always the correct size is used) by the air impact mishapes the hex, essentially changing the size of the socket now needed to get it off.No, steel does not swell except microscopically in warm weather.Dave
(o ! /o) (o)=I=(o)
lovemyraffe

Re: Swollen Lugs (djkeev)

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by djkeev »The beating of the hex by the socket (not always the correct size is used) by the air impact mishapes the hex, essentially changing the size of the socket now needed to get it off.No, steel does not swell except microscopically in warm weather.DaveOk, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
ou.grizzly

Re: Swollen Lugs (awfavre)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Autozone sells the OEM Style replacements for like $1.99 per $2.00 x 20 = $40.00 for a new set.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
vibolista

Re: Swollen Lugs (ou.grizzly)

Post by vibolista »

Swollen Lugs. Sounds like a nasty medical condition.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
ou.grizzly

Re: Swollen Lugs (vibolista)

Post by ou.grizzly »

Quote, originally posted by vibolista »Swollen Lugs. Sounds like a nasty medical condition. Yeah, I side stepped that one earlier. Was LOLing
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
dragon64

Re: Swollen Lugs (lovemyraffe)

Post by dragon64 »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »I've never heard of lug nuts swelling. It could have been a different size lug nut to begin with.I believe the proper torque specs for the lug nuts are 76 ft/lbs.Actually it is possible to have a lug nut swell. Many OEM lugs are made of steel a size smaller with a soft "bright" metal cap stamped over it. Often what happens in area were road salt is used in the winter is that corrosion forms under this cover and pushes it out making it larger. In addition to this impact tools stretch the cap giving more room to rust to form. I would look for a good quality chrome plated replacement nut available from most autoparts stores.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Manual - DBW controller, Hydraulic engine damper, S/S brakeline retrokit,22mm solid Rear ARB, urethane rear coil dampers, Front strut bar with brake cylinder brace, PIAA 410 driving lights, PRM Intake Wilwood front brakes, Lexus hood lifts
bikeman1

Re: Swollen Lugs (vibolista)

Post by bikeman1 »

Quote, originally posted by vibolista »Swollen Lugs. Sounds like a nasty medical condition. I really dislike it when you take your Vibe in for rotation and they hold one of your lugs and make you cough......
Gamma Vibe ==> 2007 Base 5-speed, Neptune
Delta Vibe ==> 2009 Base 2.4L 5-speed, Red Hot Metallic
but still more bikes than Vibes....