Vibe + HIR Technology = Phillips X-treme Power Bulbs!

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
Whelan

Vibe + HIR Technology = Phillips X-treme Power Bulbs!

Post by Whelan »

So I was searching around and heard that Toshiba has actually stopped producing the 9012 HIR bulb, why I have no idea. I needed to replace my HIRs, one blew finally after a few years and many many hours.Phillips X-treme Power-Offer up to 80% more light than standard halogens. -Street Legal-No cutting or modifying needed-55W (no high wattage)-ALL SIZES AVAILABLE as of 6/2009 (9003!)I am purchasing a set for the Matrix and will put up a review as I have had the HIRs in for awhile now. Purschasing here for $39 a pair, best price foundhttp://www.suvlights.com/produ...d=100
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »I am purchasing a set for the Matrix and will put up a review as I have had the HIRs in for awhile now. Please please let me know how they are. I'm sick of changing my Silversucks every other day.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
Sublimewind

Re: (lovemyraffe)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »Please please let me know how they are. I'm sick of changing my Silversucks every other day.I went through so many silverstars, I started keeping my receipt... If they went out on me in less than 2-3 months, I'd take them in and exchange them... lol.. I'll be putting some of these HIR's in my Subie... you can bank on that.. lol.. Finally a 9003 replacement..
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

wait...what what what?!please please let me know about these. My SS has the same stupid *** bulb the vibe has. 1 bulb to do high and low beam :/ so I would LOVE to get a good replacement.I think my fogs can hold a HIR though...whelan u got pm'z
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

whats the diff between that and philips crystalvision bulbs?
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

I'm guessing that the 9003/H4 is the correct one for my Vibe.
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

OK. I'm getting excited. These fit into our stock openings, and utilize the stock wiring?How about for the fogs? You know, to be uniform and all...
Steelies to the rescue.
bull77

Post by bull77 »

says on the website they have 9006s which should fit the fogs
BlueCrush

Re: Vibe + HIR Technology = Phillips X-treme Power Bulbs! (Whelan)

Post by BlueCrush »

The stock headlights are 35W. These are 55W. Shouldn't the wiring be upgraded as well? I saw they have upgraded wiring harness kits as well...
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Whelan

Re: Vibe + HIR Technology = Phillips X-treme Power Bulbs! (BlueCrush)

Post by Whelan »

Vibes run 35W?? I always thought all low beams were 55W. I've always use a 55W bulb in my lenses.All fog lamps for ALL model year Vibes are = 9006.All low beam on 09+ Vibes same as the 03-08 and 09+ Matrix = 9006.All low beam on 03-08 Vibes were the hi/lo mix = 9003Double check the last one but I am sure I am right cause you always had issues with finding good bulbs.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »Vibes run 35W?? I always thought all low beams were 55W. I've always use a 55W bulb in my lenses.All fog lamps for ALL model year Vibes are = 9006.All low beam on 09+ Vibes same as the 03-08 and 09+ Matrix = 9006.All low beam on 03-08 Vibes were the hi/lo mix = 9003Double check the last one but I am sure I am right cause you always had issues with finding good bulbs.Nevermind, I was thinking of a different vehicle. I believe the Vibe is 55W/60W, standard. The last one is correct: 9003/H4 for the hi/lo on the '03-'08 Vibes.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

This is def. my next mod, if all the stock wiring can runs these. How difficult is it to get the 9006s in the fog light areas? If I remember past posts, it's a beotch.
Steelies to the rescue.
Whelan

Re: Vibe + HIR Technology = Phillips X-treme Power Bulbs! (jkm311)

Post by Whelan »

Reach up under the bumper behind the lamps, there is an opening under the plastic guard and reach forward you will feel the backs of the bulbs.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
ramenboy...

Re: Vibe + HIR Technology = Phillips X-treme Power Bulbs! (jkm311)

Post by ramenboy... »

Quote, originally posted by jkm311 »This is def. my next mod, if all the stock wiring can runs these. How difficult is it to get the 9006s in the fog light areas? If I remember past posts, it's a beotch. yeah i'd like to run these too if the stock wiring can handle it...as far as the fogs go, you can to them by unscrewing the front fender liners then they're accessable.
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
Whelan

Re: Vibe + HIR Technology = Phillips X-treme Power Bulbs! (ramenboy...)

Post by Whelan »

Crystal Vision lenses are only in the +30- +50% range. Meaning they are that percentage higher than standard OEM bulbs. These utilize a similar HIR coating which reflects unseen light back onto the filament to create a brighter burn without using higher wattage or sacrificing bulb life.The Sylvania people created a version that is +90% (X-Treme are 80%) but they have a short lifespan as with most Sylvanias.Please also note we have Sylvania here in the states, the Osram version of the Silverstar has no bluish coating and a longer life.The Phillips Xtreme has a coated tip and a very small thing blue strip on the top of the bulb to give a slightly whiter more modern appearance to the bulb when on. This does not mean the bulb is whiter. Whiter is NOT brighter always. I gave up on that after all the glare from my HIDs. I went to HIR and got back to the yellowish light but with much better visibility. These used to be only available in Europe up until recently (1 year ago) in the H4 and H7 versions only. Then came to the states with more popular 900X sizing.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

how long till you get these? I need review bad!
Whelan

Re: (northvibe)

Post by Whelan »

lol well Once I get home I can turn on my transporter and say "Energize" So they should be in by 7pm. J/KHowever long it takes to send it from them. SUVlights is in Cali so not till next week.Got confirmation of delivery, they will be here First Class Parcel in 2-5 days. They used that USPS flat rate shipping thing.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
lovemyraffe

Re: (Whelan)

Post by lovemyraffe »

I found them on eBay for a bit cheaper.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

I ordered a set of H4's after the Ebay HID's went awry. They should be here in 2-5 days.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Whelan

Re: (BlueCrush)

Post by Whelan »

My Ebay HIDs were worth the $70, always worked, but sometimes a lot in their end I had to open the hood and fiddle the wiring to get the drivers side to work. Finally the ballast went and the color of one was white, the other almost purple on a 6000K kit. I neve figured out why, the wires were not pinched or loose, tried multiple fixes, nothing worked.And I have veered away from bulbs on Ebay, last two things I bought did not work so well.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

The HIR (halogen infrared reflected) technology makes the filament operate at a higher temperature without using more wattage. The result is a little more light output but probable shorter bulb life.I know that I will probably get flamed for this but oh well. All of those fancy bulbs are a waste of money. The primary determining factor of a headlamp fixture's output and beam (pattern) are the reflector. That is not easily changed.If two filament type bulbs consume the same wattage the only way to increase the output of one is by using a much thinner filament or this HIR technology. That is the reason for the short lifespan. Some of these aftermarket bulbs also slightly change the location of the filament in relation to the reflector. This does not change the output but can change the beam which will intensify the light in a smaller area making it look brighter. Problem is that although it may be brighter in the center the outlying area is dimmer and the total light output is the same.Another difference in some of these bulbs is the color, it may look different but changing the color does not increase light output.Again, all those fancy aftermarket light bulbs are a waste of money. Unless you are willing to increase the wattage or spend the money to completely replace the entire headlamp assembly you cannot effect much change in light output. Either option is expensive because you either need to go to HID lighting or at least replace the wiring to enable higher wattage.I am well aware that this can be a touchy subject because people that have spent lots of money on worthless aftermarket items tend to defend the purchase irregardless of reality.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
Whelan

Re: Vibe + HIR Technology = Phillips X-treme Power Bulbs! (beemerphile1)

Post by Whelan »

Oh boy, comptetition in the lighting dept. LOL j/k buddy. But I will add/counterpoint to some of this.Quote, originally posted by beemerphile1 »The HIR (halogen infrared reflected) technology makes the filament operate at a higher temperature without using more wattage. The result is a little more light output but probable shorter bulb life.HIR lifespan is rated at 1000 hours. Almost on par with a OEM halogen bulb. Shorter lifespan comes from higher wattage and coloring of the bulbs (yellow, blue, etc.) which can cause more heat buildup in the bulb glass (hot spots). The HIR technology causes the filament to burn brighter and does not affect the gas in the capsule as the others do, allowing longer lifespan. The other types of bulbs colored and higher wattage have lifespans ranging from 200-500 hours depending. Case in point, silverstars with a colored lens have a span of 275 hours. Depending on how much night driving you do, this could mean short or long life.Quote, originally posted by beemerphile1 »I know that I will probably get flamed for this but oh well. All of those fancy bulbs are a waste of money. The primary determining factor of a headlamp fixture's output and beam (pattern) are the reflector. That is not easily changed.No flaming, but the fancy colored bulbs are a waste of money, the fixture determines the light dispersion and beam pattern, but does not determine the output. That is almost like saying your lamp shade determins how bright the bulb is. While it does shade and keep the light from being a direct point with glare, it only acts to disperse and shed the light output where it is needed. If you take a standard halogen low beam that is 700 lumens, it is going to be 700 lumens no matter what car you put it in. The reflector is one big reason that HID aftermarket kits are not always the best option (explained later on)Quote, originally posted by beemerphile1 »If two filament type bulbs consume the same wattage the only way to increase the output of one is by using a much thinner filament or this HIR technology. That is the reason for the short lifespan. Again HIRs are not known for short lifespans. In some cases when people would put the 9011 High Beam (equivalent to 9005) into a 9006 housing that is more paired to the 9012 HIR low beam, then yes shorter life can occur. But a lifespan of an HIR if used properly and installed properly is on par with a standard OEM halogen.Quote, originally posted by beemerphile1 »Some of these aftermarket bulbs also slightly change the location of the filament in relation to the reflector. This does not change the output but can change the beam which will intensify the light in a smaller area making it look brighter. Problem is that although it may be brighter in the center the outlying area is dimmer and the total light output is the same.I agree with this, many companies have tried to change the position or height inside the glass of the filament in order to produce farther reaching light or wider patterns. While it does allow this to occur you sacrifice one for the other as the lenses are optically designed to work with the OEM setting. Not to mention each car has a different shield or lens type which can affect results stated by the bulb manufacturer. Example being that my 05 Matrix using a 9006 bulb is not going to have the same result with a changed filament compared to a 2002 Saturn with a 9006 bulb type.Quote, originally posted by beemerphile1 »Another difference in some of these bulbs is the color, it may look different but changing the color does not increase light output.Hence they up the wattage to 80-150W depending. Then you have to install wire harnesses to deal with the additional power which to me do nothing since your car is still only outputting the standard wattage. All it does is decrease the draw from the bulb. The bulbs with 80-150W power are tested in scenarios where they can put that much power into the bulb, when you put a 100W draw bulb into a 55W output then the life is significantly decreased over what they claim because the bulb is trying for more power that isn't there adding to the stress on the bulb. Not to mention the potential damage to the electrical by possibly frying the wires and melting connectors and harnesses. A blue bulb or yellow bulb only GIVE the appearance of HID coloring but sacrifice a lot in performance. This is demonstrated in light output, which is rated in Lumens, and NOT KELVIN! Kelvin Scale is a temperature coloring scale, aftermarket bulb companies use this to compare themselves to HIDs saying they are 6000K, 8000K, or whatever. However a true HID operates at around the 4100-4500 range depending. Optimal being 4300, with the coloring being created by the projector utilizing the bulb. Lumens is appropriate as it shows the actualy light output, so a OEM low beam halogen is as said before 700 Lumens, while an HIR is above 1000L. So when I state something like +80% output, that would mean that instead of 700 Lumens, the X-treme Power bulb using HIR technology is around 1260 Lumens. Quote, originally posted by beemerphile1 »Again, all those fancy aftermarket light bulbs are a waste of money. Unless you are willing to increase the wattage or spend the money to completely replace the entire headlamp assembly you cannot effect much change in light output. Either option is expensive because you either need to go to HID lighting or at least replace the wiring to enable higher wattage.Aftermarket bulbs are a waste of money unless you are using them for show purposes which nobody does (ad gimmick). The headlamp replacement is correct, in order to get better light you need to do what they call a retrofit and actually install projectors from a different model (Audi, BMW, etc) and add an HID system. Simply adding HID to a standard reflector does not mean better lighting. Is it brighter, yes. Is it flashier, you bet. But light is thrown everywhere and the glare factor can be even worse causing you to see less than with your OEM halogens. I ran into this problem in inclement weather at night, even in snow. The light output was great but against white snow and rain I could not see the road well at all. Quote, originally posted by beemerphile1 »I am well aware that this can be a touchy subject because people that have spent lots of money on worthless aftermarket items tend to defend the purchase irregardless of reality.I am one of those that over the years put money into bulbs and lighting. Trying PIAA, Nexus, Nokya, HID, HIR, and now these to come. Using aftermarket projectors, lamps, etc. But I have gained knowledge and insight not just from personal experience but from lots of online research. It is always a touchy subject that will never have a conclusion, but for me I can definitely vouch for the lifespan and effectiveness of an HIR over any other option for most cars with standard halogens and reflective lamps.As a side note, HIR came about when John Deere went to GE to design a bulb that was 80% the light output of an HID lamp but did not require farme
rs to go through expensive retrofits of existing tractors and equipment. GE created the technology of Infra-Red coatings and eventually sold the patents to Toshiba. Toshiba then became the sole owner of the technology and created these bulbs from JD. The first production car to utilize an HIR bulb was the original Dodge Viper and a replacement bulb at the time cost $150. As time went on, the bulbs were readily available from JD parts suppliers for about $9-11 per bulb for a 9012 or 9011. A slight modification of cutting one of the holder tabs a bit was needed to fit into cars. This was discovered (by whom or where I have no idea), but it caught on. Then in recent years (last 5), it was all over the internet and in response, JD realized they had a market and upped the price to $23 per bulb. Now that the patent lifespan has run out Toshiba is no longer the sole manufacturer and Phillips has now designed the technology at first in Europe for H4 and H7 bulbs, but now in the US (since we have NHTSA rules and regs to pass and follow). The price is still the same at around $40-50 for a set but worth the money IMO.From what I also heard Toshiba has stopped production of these bulbs, possibly because the cost of HID replacement lighting has come down so much or whatever, but it could be a rumor. Many people online have expressed problems obtaining the bulbs from JD.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Excellent info, as always, Whelan!
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Whelan, you obviously are a knowledgeable person and have done your research.I don't have any personal experience with the HIR but based on the claims of "up to 80% more light than standard halogens" I am highly suspicious. The claim of "up to" makes the percentage worthless. It could produce 1% more light output and the claim of "up to 80% more light than standard halogens" would be perfectly legal although deceptive. If it is 80% more output then it should be advertised as such without the deceptive wording. When marketing departments start playing with words it makes me very suspicious of their product.The definition of HIR technology is that a dichroic coating reflects infrared radiation back at the filament of the bulb. That causes the filament to be superheated and put out more lumens. To me that translates to a more fragile bulb with a probable shorter life span. Real world experience may be different but more heat generally results in shorter life. Maybe they have been able to counteract the damage of the heat by using a heavier filament. The heavier filament alone would reduce the output but with the HIR technology it could possibly produce the same or more lumens without shortening the lifespan. Do you think that may be what was done?I still find the "up to 80% more light" claim very suspect.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
Whelan

Re: Vibe + HIR Technology = Phillips X-treme Power Bulbs! (beemerphile1)

Post by Whelan »

I can understand the assumption of fragility. But bulbs more often than not fail from a power issue which causes the filament to break. Whether it be a surge or spike of power that causes it to blow or extreme cooling or heating during use, etc.As for the HIR, the glass used is different as is the gas inside the bulb which works to keep the filament operating temperature at a constant. Bulbs with coloring (going backwards a bit) typically are not coated glass as much as a tint put on the bulb, so the tint can peel off, crack, etc. causing the gas inside to allow hotter spots on the bulb changing the interior temperature and causing failure. With an HIR wrapping so to speak you are not looking at a tinted coating as much as the glass itself being afixed to a certain color shading that allows the IR to be reflected back onto the filament. The result here is that instead of using some 100W bulb that will never give you the full 100W output, you are getting the output from a different source, the filament itself. Therefore the power draw on the bulb is always constant and burns brighter without needing that extra power boost.I think they would use something like 80% to more appeal to the common masses. Not many people can relate to what a Lumen is, nor does the common customer at the store know anything about Kelvin vs. light output. So from an advertising stance (my background), you would say something that is catchy and gets noticed like up to 80% more light than your current bulbs. This gets the point across for you to at least research or pickup the package and read further. And nobody can make a claim that it is EXACTLY a certain percentage more as each car that uses the bulb type is different. People could have dirtier lenses, different adjustments, etc. Same goes for something like air intakes. If I took two of my car (2005 Matrix XR AWD) and put the same intake on them, I would get two different results for power inrease. So using a specific number is something that cannot be guaranteed. Thus you enter the world of may's and possibly's. While I am sure these bulbs are going to offer more light output if they operate similar to HIRs from Toshiba which they appear to utilize similar technology, then I can easily see a light output of 1000+ lumens.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Its_Dave

Post by Its_Dave »

Cool, some great info, but still remember is a light bulb, thats 40 bucks. Buy it and try it, I know I'll be getting these but I couldn't care if it gave me less light, I know some of you do and in that case it is good to know your info but I live in a City that is fully lighted all the time. These lights are mainly an Appearance mod, just to make your head lights whiter which is all i'm wanting.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

How much brighter are these compared to stock v.s. HID's?I have always wanted to do HID's but the idea of something happening to my wiring is a concern.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
Whelan

Re: Vibe + HIR Technology = Phillips X-treme Power Bulbs! (Its_Dave)

Post by Whelan »

Oh Dave, Have we taught you nothing, LOL. Quote, originally posted by Its_Dave »These lights are mainly an Appearance mod, just to make your head lights whiter which is all i'm wanting.If you want an appearance mod for lighting DO NOT get these bulbs. They will not be that white white like a Silverstar or similar. HIR technology does not utilize any blue tinting of the bulb for appearance. White does not always equal brighter. The human eye is actually better at seeing colors like red and green. However there is a very small band of bluish tint on the very top of the bulb in order to help provide a slightly more modern appearance. The paladium cap is not the dark coating on most bulbs, it helps to reflect and refract light around the headlamp itself. The bluish tint you see simple gives a slight crispness to direct point light given its placement at the top of the bulb.If you want a white bulb, get some 5000K or 6000K HID look-alike bulbs. A True HID white is 4300K (using the temp scale for HIDs), which is equivalent to midday sunlight HIR is not whiter, just more light output in Lumens.As for the HID vs. stock. The stock bulb is about 700 lumens, your high beams are about 1500 lumens. low beam HIR runs 1000-1300 Lumens high beams in the 1750-2000 range. An HID in terms of lumens would be in the 1500-2000 range for a low beam. This does not mean the light scatter will be the same though as the shape of the lens determines where the light goes, not how much light is being outputted. I wouldn't go HID even if the Ebay costs are low, not without a full retrofit. The HIR is safe, reliable, and the best alternative when trying to get more light from a standard headlamp/bulb combo.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

I'm with It's_Dave on this one. And not just because of the Calvin & Hobbes icon. I'm going to get these bulbs for a "look" upgrade. I'm tired of the yellowish, dingy (technical term) look to yesterday's bulbs. I want something you will notice when I'm pulling up. Not something that is going to improve my vision beyond my current old school bulbs (or require me to swap out wiring). I'm glad they make these Xtreme bulbs for the fogs as well as the headlights. But, I'm even happier they have 'em for the license plate bulb. I think that will complete the look in a big way. I'm just sorry I discovered Whelan's post too soon before my road trip this weekend. Would have been nice to test them in both day/night and city/hwy.
Steelies to the rescue.
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

I'm with whelan. I want functionality. Of course, I suspect it to be more 'white' than my stock bulbs. But I want to see farther. I live in the boondocks. That extra light can help see a deer or kids. I will wait for whelans review. Thanks for the news!
Whelan

Re: (Kevzaz)

Post by Whelan »

I may not be in the boondocks, but street lighting is not always around. Especially on backroads and the Parkway where no lighting exists. Deer are a huge problem in CT so you need the lighting.Again to the poster above Kev, these are not so much for looks as for performance. If you want the whiter look you should look into a more tinted bulb.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

+1 for eagerly awaiting your experience with them, Whelan. Thanks for the illumination on this subject. Pun COMPLETELY intended.
Steelies to the rescue.
BlueCrush

Re: (jkm311)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by jkm311 »+1 for eagerly awaiting your experience with them, Whelan. Thanks for the illumination on this subject. Pun COMPLETELY intended. +2 Yes, it is very enLIGHTening...lol.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

Glad to help you all shed some light on this topic. Keeping my attitude bright in anticipation. The product should be here in 2-5 and was shipped last night so may have them this weekend.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

Just ordered some for me!
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Sounds like there will be a lot of reviews soon with these bulbs. Lookin' forward to them.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
tribalman

Post by tribalman »

the puns... ugh.. ;Pi'm interested in the reviews too. i've been noticing that sometimes it seems like the lights are barely on, but they are on. i live in a city with street lights everywhere. i'd like more light output. most of my driving is at night.
None. Vibe is gone.
BlueCrush

Re: Vibe + HIR Technology = Phillips X-treme Power Bulbs! (tribalman)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by tribalman »the puns... ugh.. ;PLIGHTen up!!!
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

Good. I will have pictures up with my thoughts by next week, along with the hood struts I ordered. It seems the X-treme Power go up against the Sylvania/Osram Night Breaker bulb which claims up to +90% using similar technology, however the glass has an actual tint on it (similar to Silverstar), and from what I have seen still suffers from Sylvania's issue of short lifespan compared to other bulbs.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

are they here yet?yet?yet?haha jkWell I need some new bulbs until I decide to retrofit my headlights with projectors and hids... These seem to fit the functionality bill as I have the same lame bulbs as the vibe's high/low beam in 1 bulb I would of loved to have HIR's.... Ohhh wonder what the escape has....thats my new DD and it needs to have better lighting.Thanks whelan you are my testing bit...friend.noooooooooooooooooooooo im totally f'd.cobalt low/high = 9007 which is ok for this philips bulbcobalt fog = h11escape low = h11escape high = h7no one makes the good bulbs in h11 or h7
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

BING!At almost $40 for the set, but it allows a 9006 to H11 conversion or vice versa in your case as the connectors are different but the bulb bases fit the same openings. http://www.ecstuning.com/Volks...9096/
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

well if I can convert h11 to 9006, wouldnt it be better to get the HIR 90012's then?
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

The 9005 is simliar except there is a tab on the bulb base that needs to be trimmed off. http://www.danielsternlighting.comGoogle him, his name is all over the net. Essentially the god of lighting on the web. He answers personal emails directly and with loads of information. I googled him when I looked for HIRs and he basically stated if you had a 9005 or 9006 bulb you could not get a better light.As of recent I saw a posted email return from him talking about GE Nighthawks, and Osram Silverstars, Sylvania Silverstars, etc. He then mentioned the Philips X-treme Power bulbs that were coming out soon in the US. His bottom line was that these would be the bulbs to get hands down.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »The 9005 is simliar except there is a tab on the bulb base that needs to be trimmed off. http://www.danielsternlighting.comGoogle him, his name is all over the net. Essentially the god of lighting on the web. He answers personal emails directly and with loads of information. I googled him when I looked for HIRs and he basically stated if you had a 9005 or 9006 bulb you could not get a better light.As of recent I saw a posted email return from him talking about GE Nighthawks, and Osram Silverstars, Sylvania Silverstars, etc. He then mentioned the Philips X-treme Power bulbs that were coming out soon in the US. His bottom line was that these would be the bulbs to get hands down.Was he saying the philips xtreme were better than the HIR's? For the cobalts headlight I have to get the xtreme (9007) but for the escape I could get a H11 to 9006 converter and get HIR's or the xtremes.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Here's a few vids from Youtube and google:http://video.google.com/videop...79019h ... latedFound a better price w/free shipping: http://www.powerbulbs.com/prod...od=43
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Here is a good review with comparison pics from civicfoums.com: http://www.civicforums.com/for....htmlAnother good read with comparison pics of Philips X-treme Power vs. Osram Nightbreaker from Honda-tech.com: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.ph ... 068Another review from Honda-Tech.com of and H4 install: http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2147980
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

Love the Prius WITH Xtremes vs. Prius w/o Xtremes video. Good find!
Steelies to the rescue.
Whelan

Re: (jkm311)

Post by Whelan »

He favors them for a few reasons over HIR.1) more perfected technology, Philips is big on testing prior to letting products out, so they are reliable and easier to get.2) no modifying of the bulbs to fit housings, even if it is plastic trimming. 3) slightly better light quality over an HIR as the HIR had a bulbous shape meant more for the headlamp reflectors in tractors than for on-road cars. The tubular X-treme allows for better placement of the filament to optimize the HIR technology for the applications specified.4) not just for a 9006 or 9005 conversion, available in almost all standard sizes.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Its_Dave

Post by Its_Dave »

I know aren't Calvin and Hobbes SWEET!!I called my friend that I get car stuff from cause he usually gives me discounts and they don't have the X-Treme Power Bulbs but they do that the CrystalVision Ultra which I think I had in my old car and Liked them.Heres a link about those bulbs - http://www.lighting.philips.co...ng=en - I know this topic isn't about those ones but I'll post up some pictures when I get them installed. Philips says there For crystal clear vision – whiter, brighter, and even closer to the look of HID so this might help my Appearance better then the other ones anyways.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Whelan »He favors them for a few reasons over HIR.1) more perfected technology, Philips is big on testing prior to letting products out, so they are reliable and easier to get.2) no modifying of the bulbs to fit housings, even if it is plastic trimming. 3) slightly better light quality over an HIR as the HIR had a bulbous shape meant more for the headlamp reflectors in tractors than for on-road cars. The tubular X-treme allows for better placement of the filament to optimize the HIR technology for the applications specified.4) not just for a 9006 or 9005 conversion, available in almost all standard sizes.Good they are cheaper anyway hahha. So I'll just swap them in the SS and then I'll have to get the adapters for the escape and put 9006's in. damn adapters are expensive but I dont like chopping up wires...