Is this your first second or third vibe?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
ned23

Is this your first second or third vibe?

Post by ned23 »

How many of you are already on your second (or more) Vibe? How many on your first? If you bought more than two, what brought you back?
lowincash

Re: Is this your first second or third vibe? (ned23)

Post by lowincash »

this is my first vibe and i'm glad i went this route. i was originally thinking of getting an suv...i've never really been interested in vibes or small economy cars...but thanks to high gas prices i started looking for an economy car...i was actually getting scared of filling up the car every few days on my maxima because each fill up was $65-$70ish on that car...this car is great...it's like a mini minivan/suv but more fun to drive =P has decent power and decent mpg...to me anything better than 15-20mpg is good lol
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

we had 2, no longer have either.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

Was a good college car, had to move on to a car I could race in though. Sister owns it now though, had to keep that gem in the family.
kunkstyle

Re: (northvibe)

Post by kunkstyle »

Quote, originally posted by northvibe »Was a good college carThat was my philosophy. I needed something in a decent price range, reliable, and capable of hauling a few people and gear to the mountains without fear of getting stuck in the snow. Now it's a good starter family car.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
ou.grizzly

Post by ou.grizzly »

We have 2.Reliability, fuel mileage, and cargo capacity.
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
Tonyk27

Post by Tonyk27 »

I have one but my dad liked so much he just bought a 03 vibe.
18stars

Post by 18stars »

My second. I had a 2004 which I loved and I traded for a 2007, If they're still making them I may be interested in a 2010 or 2011!My wife is on her 2nd RAV4. When you pick solid decent vehicles its no hardship to stick with it.
__________________________________Current Vibe: 2007 Stealth
vibolista

Re: (Tonyk27)

Post by vibolista »

Really liked the Vibe when it first came out, test drove one. Wife wanted a Van for hauling kids. Kids off on their own now, Van sold, old Saturn SW2 in last stages of drivability (although it has gone on another year unexpectedly) and son bought an 06 Vibe in 07. Then GM finalized the deal with a super deal last January. Second Vibe in the immediate family, anyway, almost like Tonyk27.Great car. Good drive-train, engine and basic structure. Toyota genes. Lots of cargo room. Excellent economy, so what's not to like.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

this is my first... or only vibe. was looking for a small wagon so i could at least haul stuff if i wanted. was looking at the pre-3 protoge, but tried the vibe. its a fun car. and fits about the same amount of stuff as my 92 rodeo did. at 2x the gas mileage. woohoo!!!!!
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
808 Vibes

Re: (vibolista)

Post by 808 Vibes »

I had mentioned on a board that I'm no longer on that my mom & I both needed new cars. My mom's used Bonny needed major work, so she would get her new car first. Kari answered that she had a Vibe and gave me the GenVibe link. (I noticed that everyone loved their Vibes, and had seen some pics of frightening wrecks that members walked away from-I needed no further persuading!) I kept seeing a Lava parked in the loading zone at work, and when no one was around one day, peeked inside. I was impressed and thought this would be PERFECT for her! Exactly what I was looking for for my mom,Vibe it was, but getting one was the hard part. Dealer arranged to do a swap with another dealer...Frosty was intended to go to Maui, the dealer called and told me they made the swap with the Maui dealer, it was on the island at our dealer just a few minutes from home, so we rushed down and grabbed it. So when my used Firebird gave me trouble (the smoky-engine kind), my mom said to drop her off at work in the morning, take Frosty to work while I decided what to do for me. I did, and decided that I had to have a Vibe too. I finally sold the Firebird just as I was getting ready to give up and donate it for a tax write off (I told the buyer it smoked under the hood and leaked at the window weatherstripping, but he still wanted it) while waiting the 3 months for Neptune to be built per my order and shipped here. I have used the cargo to ship several packages at the post office, load up for the swap meet, it's been loaded full of music equipment, recyclables, my medium size dog crate, and my Xmas tree! With strollers, etc. in mind, we made two perfect choices It seems now the dealer knows better than to not have any Vibes in stock!
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
NascarXprt

Post by NascarXprt »

still on my first since i got her new in may of 04.
My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
ClunkClunk

Post by ClunkClunk »

My immediate family somehow ended up with four Vibes in the last year and a half.My girlfriend was graduating from college and her parents wanted to replace her '97 Saturn SC2 as a graduation gift. She had already been eyeing a Vibe as something she wanted to eventually replace her Saturn with once she was settled with a job. From what I remember, the mileage, interior space, and look of the Vibe drew her to it. My dad helped her parents locate an Abyss 2007 with a few hundred miles on it, and they surprised her with it when she graduated.Six months later, my dad got a new job which he was commuting a lot further and was no longer provided with a company car. This prompted him to pick up his 2006 Frosty that had about 18,000 on it in September of 2007.My sister ended up with her Vibe after she started getting her teaching credential. She was commuting quite a bit to school and work, so her 1995 Olds Eighty Eight wasn't really up to the task, with nearly 150k miles, and poor mileage. My dad (once again), found a 2003 AWD Abyss Vibe with a failed transmission for her. They found a transmission, and had it installed, and that's how she got her Vibe.And finally, I just got mine last month. I had been driving a 1998 Buick Regal GSX that was mechanically just fine for nearly 100k miles, but I was feeling the crunch of gas prices, and it wasn't nearly as practical as the rest of the family's Vibes. Also due to the economy in a serious downturn, used 2008 Vibes were well below market value. I sold my Regal in early October, and located my 2008 Frosty two-tone Vibe in late December.So yeah, four Vibes in a year and half span.
2008 Frosty two tone (and 3 other Vibes)
BeerNut

Post by BeerNut »

I just picked up my 05 vibe less then a month ago. I needed another vehicle for work after somebody hit my 02 protege. I was looking for something more practical then a sedan but still got good gas mileage. I had driven my friend's vibe before and she loved hers so the vibe was on the top of my list for used cars I was looking for. I will say this much the 5MT is more fun then I thought it would be. Don't really get on it too much because I try to eek as many MPGs as possible out of it. I have another car for when I want to mash the gas pedal....
Daily Driver: 2005 Pontiac Vibe Silver, 5spd, Manual Everything.. Toy:2006 Mazda Miata Brilliant Black, 5spd
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

I currently own the one and likely only Vibe I'll ever own. It's a good little car, and I'll be sad when I let it go, but there are other cars on the market that match my tastes better now.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Amtron

Post by Amtron »

First Vibe, and it's great!
ned23

Re: Is this your first second or third vibe? (lowincash)

Post by ned23 »

Quote, originally posted by lowincash »this is my first vibe and i'm glad i went this route. i was originally thinking of getting an suv...i've never really been interested in vibes or small economy cars...but thanks to high gas prices i started looking for an economy car...i was actually getting scared of filling up the car every few days on my maxima because each fill up was $65-$70ish on that car...this car is great...it's like a mini minivan/suv but more fun to drive =P has decent power and decent mpg...to me anything better than 15-20mpg is good lolI think you'll find that "economy" cars don't make you sacrifice nearly as much as they used to. I used to think I needed an SUV in the winter. In fact I owned a tracker for 8 years. In reality, around here (and I'll qualify that by emphasizing that it's in this geographical area) I noticed something interesting. When I was out in the absolute worst winter weather with my SUV, I never went far without seeing a regular front-wheel drive car on the road. Even in level II snow emergencies. You don't even need it for freight. I recently bought a couch and needed to haul it home. So, I went to U-Haul and got a van for $19.95 + 49¢ per mile. I spent about $40 to get the sofa home. I'll save that much in the price one tank of fuel in my vibe (at $3.50 per gallon) compared to a big truck or SUV.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I have two; why: TOYOTAWhen my wife kills the first one, I'll buy our third.
03VibeOttawa

Re: Is this your first second or third vibe?

Post by 03VibeOttawa »

Still rockin' my first car ('03 base 5spd).I'm the first person in my immediate family to buy something not completely American or German.
03VibeOttawa–’03 Salsa 5spd. Fast Wheels Blade 17”s/Fuzion Zr1s (summer),Blizzak Revo1/’04 WRX rims, (winter),Tokico HP Struts,Tein S-Tech Springs,Progress RSB,K&N Typhoon SRI,SLP ram air hood,Magnaflow CB,DC header. Sold 11/9/2012 w/ 217,633kms.
Mojo72

Re: Is this your first second or third vibe? (Feelin' The Vibe)

Post by Mojo72 »

My last car was a leased 2006 Ford Focus ZX5 hatchback. I liked the versatility of the hatchback and was very disappointed w/ Ford not offering a hatchback version of the 2008 Focus. Having grown tired of leasing, I wanted a good reliable small hatchback that I could pay off within 3 years and have a reasonable expectation of at least 5 more years of payment free driving. Since buying my Vibe from a local private seller in January 2008, I've been very happy with the amount of passenger/cargo room and have averaged 27.1 mpg w/ a peak of 34.6 mpg in 07/08 and a low of 20.7 mpg in 12/08 during very cold and snowy conditions. It's been a great commuter car the hatch allows me to carry stuff that I might otherwise have needed to use my wife's Explorer to haul. I like the Vibe a lot and will be watching to see what GM ends up doing with the platform if Pontiac goes away.
2004 1.8L (1ZZ-FE) Vibe (Lava Red)16" Michelin Destiny tires
PlatinumVibe08

Post by PlatinumVibe08 »

My first. I replaced a 2003 Mustang GT Convertible with my new 2008 Vibe in December, 2007 when I found myself in the predicament of having an insurance check in hand and the need to purchase a replacement car. With the muscle car bug temporarily cleansed from my palate by a crash that I was lucky to survive, I wanted a car that fit my needs, budget, body, and got 30mpg. Test drove a new Civic, a Mazda 3 Hatch and chose the Vibe for a number of reasons. My wife jokingly calls the Vibe my neutermobile. It is true that I no longer do smoky burnouts or take out telephone poles at high speed while flipping the vehicle end over end. That's a good thing.Here's the progression in three photos: PlatinumVibe08
2006 Lexus SC430 White Gold Crystal
2010 Lexus RX350 Matador Red Mica
2013 Lexus CT200h Starfire Pearl
bull77

Re: Is this your first second or third vibe? (PlatinumVibe08)

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by PlatinumVibe08 » (removed) --- you were lucky!
vibolista

Re: Is this your first second or third vibe? (PlatinumVibe08)

Post by vibolista »

You might be on your first Vibe, but it looks like you're on your 2nd life! You are one lucky individual. How did that crash happen?
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
PlatinumVibe08

Re: Is this your first second or third vibe? (bull77) (vibolista)

Post by PlatinumVibe08 »

Quote, originally posted by bull77 »(removed) --- you were lucky! Yes, I agree.Quote, originally posted by vibolista »You might be on your first Vibe, but it looks like you're on your 2nd life! You are one lucky individual. How did that crash happen? Some say I'm on my third or fourth life. No doubt I was extremely lucky to have walked away from the Mustang crash. How it happened? I was driving too fast for conditions. Specifically, while driving like a hillbilly hooligan, I was grabbing gears and having fun while heading home on a very familiar country road. It had been raining and the road was wet and while negotiating a left hand sweeper at a high speed, I was startled by a deer that ran from a grove of trees toward the roadway on the inside of the curve. I was already close to the gravel on the outside edge of the road when I flinched and got the right front wheel into the gravel. This action, combined with the poor traction afforded by the wet pavement caused the car to push and when I hit the deep ditch and the airbags deployed, I was along for the ride. I was wearing my seat belt, as always, but ultimately came out of the seat during the crash and ended up laying on the convertible top on my stomach with my feet near the dash and my head near the rear window. After the crash I realized that I had taken out a telephone pole before the car ended up resting on its top. Post crash, while looking at the carnage, I truly realized that I was one lucky dude. I don't drive the Vibe like a hillbilly hooligan. No offense to all the hillbillies and the hooligans.PlatinumVibe08
Dog Hauler

Post by Dog Hauler »

Another Mustang bites the dust. I use to live up in Illinois and have family in Herrin, and Charleston
PlatinumVibe08

Re: (Dog Hauler)

Post by PlatinumVibe08 »

Quote, originally posted by Dog Hauler »Another Mustang bites the dust. I use to live up in Illinois and have family in Herrin, and CharlestonHi Dog Hauler,I don't really miss the 'Stang too much. I had lunch in Herrin today. I've administered motorcycle rider courses in Charleston and have good friends who live in Coles county. I once lived in Tallahassee and trained motorcycle safety instructors not far from you over at Armwood High School in Seffner.It really is a small world. PlatinumVibe08
L. Calahan

Post by L. Calahan »

My First Vibe!Bought my 2004 brand new. Previously had a Durango and before that a Grand Prix. Both brand new. Decided on the Vibe since it got better gas mileage than the Durango and had better cargo space than the Grand Prix. At the time, I did more driving for my job also. My expense check went much farther with the Vibe than the Durango. I did love my Durango though but I wouldn't go back. I just don't need something that big. I've only lived in Texas for a few years now. Seems like lots of people in Texas think they have to have a vehicle twice the size they need. They also drive like maniacs around here. My theory on that is most of them never had to drive in snow so they don't understand that tailgating (practically put their front bumper up the back end of your car) is crazy and also seems like they think speed limits are only suggestions. Ok , I got that off my chest! LOL! I'll keep my Vibe until it's no longer cost effective.
silvrhawk7

Post by silvrhawk7 »

My First and Now with Pontiac Going Under, My last.....I Live in Florida, but picked the car up in Michigan, and drove it back home. at the time it cost me less to pick it up from St. Claire Shores Pontiac, GMC, Chevrolet, Buick, than to have it dropped shipped back home. Was definetly a step up from my 2000 S-10 4 cylinder pick up.
In Memory, taken too early in a rear end collision
Sunrise: June 2006, Sunset: Jan 2015 :cry:
Miles 129,000
2006 Silver Mono, Base 4-Speed auto.
In Memory of Pontiac Motor Division 1926-2010
In Memory of the Pontiac Vibe 2002-2009
Old Tele man

Post by Old Tele man »

...second one for us:2009 Vibe, 1.8L (Red Hot Metallic) is mine.2004 Vibe, 1.8L (Salsa Red) is wife's.
...and the Devil said: "...yes, but it's a DRY heat!"
• 2014 Prius 1.8L eCVT
• 2009 Vibe 1.8L 4A
• 2004 Vibe 1.8L 4A
Neouka

Post by Neouka »

first vibe... and last. It's a good car, great on gas and hauls stuff.But I want a slightly more upscale car for my next one.. and I'm set on going diesel too, hopefully not looking back after that!
03 Abyss Base, not 5 .. 6spd!2012 Focus soon...
L5K

Post by L5K »

My first. Got it about a month ago after my 2000 Plymouth Neon was totaled. Lady ran a red light and pushed my front end into the engine compartment. But, I hated that car anyway. Plus, the great news was I bought the Neon for 1500 bucks from my sister a few years ago. When it was totaled I looked up the bluebook value and it was listed at $3600 if it was in excellent condition. The lady's insurance company gave me $4200 for it. So I shopped around and contemplated a couple Volkswagens then I found out the Vibe was in my price range for the years I was looking. I didn't want anything older than 2000, and I wanted a stick. I missed the stick from my car before the Neon, an 88 Daytona Shelby Z. I found a couple 03 GT's and fell in love. Bought the one at a dealer for 6000, the other was 5300, but it had over 120k miles on it. I figured the peace of mind of having 50k miles less for the 700 dollar difference was worth it.I liked the Vibe GT because it reminded me of the old Daytona I guess lol. Hatch, stick, and decent power. I have a soft spot for 4 bangers that push out more horsepower than many V6's. Although I do have to say I miss the turbo spooling.So yeah, the plan for the vibe is like how I plan for almost all my other cars. I drive them till I can't fix them anymore. Hopefully that's a long time.
03 GT, Abyss with tupperwareTo Do List: (will take a long time)Front/Rear swaybarsStrut tower barTint windowsReplace rear bumper cover (previous owner rear-ended)Replace upper front bumper cover (cracked)Replace VVTL-i engine cover (previous owner was Hercules)
panchess

Re: (L5K)

Post by panchess »

Got the 2003 Vibe (lava) when I totalled our first NUMMI car, our 1994 Geo Prizm. The dealership was very quiet on September 11, 2002 when I bought it.Just got the 2010 Vibe (steel blue base 1.8) to replace it, so we'll be a NUMMI family for a while longer.I think they are the perfect second car, or a first car for a single person or small family. Along with the flexible space, the back seats are big enough for teens and adults, unlike a lot of other small cars and SUV's.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

1st Vibe. Great car & the longer I have it the more I like the car. Comfy interior, good MPG & capacity. 82K & only minor probs. Bought it at 38K. Only thing im not happy about is the car payment....lol
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
joejoev

Post by joejoev »

I'm still on my first Vibe. 2004 Abyss Base w/ M&T bought new in '04. Only one payment left and she's mine, all mine...along with all 373,000+ actual miles!!! Gonna drive this puppy into the grave.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

373,000+ actual miles!!! DAMN!!! Still running strong I bet!
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
joejoev

Re: (cptnsolo77)

Post by joejoev »

Quote, originally posted by cptnsolo77 »373,000+ actual miles!!! DAMN!!! Still running strong I bet!Yep, still running strong! Its really been nothing more than maintenance, maintenance, and more maintenance...all planned and/or anticipated, including the instrument panel so I can have a working odometer when I hit the 299,999 milestone. I do need to take care of a P0420 code.The only "surprise" repair thus far has been the blower motor. Oh and my incident with a deer out on I-96 a couple years ago. The damage was all cosmetic except for the radiator.
VforVIBE

Re: (joejoev)

Post by VforVIBE »

I've had 2 Vibes...#1:2006 Base, Moonstone#22009 GT, Jet Black
“I live my life free of compromise, and step into the shadows without complaint or regret.”
Viva la Pontiac! 2009 Jet Black GT
jasony0423

Post by jasony0423 »

I'm on my first. '06 silver base. It's been a good car for what I bought it, and I'm still happy with it 190,000 miles later.
TONY TAT2

Re: (jasony0423)

Post by TONY TAT2 »

i went from a fairmount station wagon to a transport mini van,then to a g5,i got a better deal on the g5,then a accident with the 5,the 5 developed problems so i tradeed that in on the vibe,i always liked the vibe,still got the literature from when thay 1st came out,now i got1
09 VIBE08 G694 GRAND AM93 GRAND AM85 VETTE78 VETTE
ou.grizzly

Re: (VforVIBE)

Post by ou.grizzly »

You showing off again?
2009 Jet Black 2.4L Auto / Fogs / 17" Alum / Clear Bra / Camry Leather Shift Knob / GT Rear Spoiler
2013 Polished Metallic Honda CR-V EX-L Navi
epcIII

Post by epcIII »

1st Vibe and still glad I bought it.
LavaIlliniVibe

Re: Is this your first second or third vibe? (epcIII)

Post by LavaIlliniVibe »

I'm on my first Vibe, (and would like to buy another) and I knew NOTHING about them when I bought him. I had totalled my truck and was looking at a Malibu. My daughter was with me, saw the Lava Vibe, took her little finger and pointed at Vibey and said, "I want that!" I would have NEVER bought a RED car, much less a sporty little Pontiac, and it was one of the BEST DECISIONS I ever didn't make (my daughter really did) and I've never regretted it since. My daughter ought to work for Pontiac--she sold me! I guess it's a good thing she doesn't work for Pontiac, she wouldn't be working for long...