Airbag Light after HU install

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions

Airbag Light after HU install

Postby silvrhawk7 » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:18 pm

I just installed a new sony HU (will have Pics to come) However shortly after the install, my Drivers side airbag light came on steady I dont recall pulling on any wires, and have not been able to check the fuses yet. Is there any data on the stock unit that talks to the computers that would relate to this. I also checked the search and could not find anything direct to this issue.

2006 Silver Mono, Base 4-Speed auto, 16" Alloys On Michelin Primacy Tires
Mods?? TBI Coolant Bypass (Thanx V) DRL Bypass, Led Cup holders (Thanx DominosChris), Sony Head Unit
Next on the list: Operation Glasshatch Release.

In Memory of Pontiac Motor Division 1926-2010
In Memory of the Pontiac Vibe 2002-2009
GM, not only have you Lost me as a customer but you have lost millions more....

silvrhawk7

Re: Airbag Light after HU install (silvrhawk7)

Postby cerulean » Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:57 pm

Check that the plug is fully connected to the airbag indicator on the radio bezel.

Bob

cerulean

Postby Sublimewind » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:57 pm

Quote, originally posted by silvrhawk7 »
I just installed a new sony HU (will have Pics to come) However shortly after the install, my Drivers side airbag light came on steady I dont recall pulling on any wires, and have not been able to check the fuses yet. Is there any data on the stock unit that talks to the computers that would relate to this. I also checked the search and could not find anything direct to this issue.

They shouldn't be related in any way... Did you do a proper install with a harness to plug into the car? the only thing that I could think of being a possibility is that something got shorted, but it's a slim one... more info on the install process might help though...

Sublimewind

Re: Airbag Light after HU install (Sublimewind)

Postby silvrhawk7 » Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:34 am

I connected the wires as the diagram was shown with the hardware. the light didnt come on right away though, and yes the plug on the bezel is connected.

Now I know that there are two connectors to the Stock HU, the black one apparently isnt used for Aftermarket Installs, however does that send data to the stereo from the ECM or the Airbag Computer??

Mods?? TBI Coolant Bypass (Thanx V) DRL Bypass, Led Cup holders (Thanx DominosChris), Sony Head Unit

silvrhawk7

Postby Sublimewind » Tue Jan 06, 2009 2:05 am

I connected the wires as the diagram was shown with the hardware. the light didnt come on right away though, and yes the plug on the bezel is connected.

Now I know that there are two connectors to the Stock HU, the black one apparently isnt used for Aftermarket Installs, however does that send data to the stereo from the ECM or the Airbag Computer??

It shouldn't, they shouldn't be related AT ALL... that's why I asked about the harness, cause some people will hack into the factory radio harness, being either to cheap or to dumb to buy the proper reverse harness for the car.. often times, this doesn't end well...lol... but even still, it shouldn't have anything thing to do with it and there shouldn't be anything really near by to harm...

All harnesses related to the airbags are all bright yellow in color, did you disturb anything in bright yellow wire loom?

Sublimewind

Re: Airbag Light after HU install (Sublimewind)

Postby kunkstyle » Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:21 am

I just installed a new sony HU (will have Pics to come) However shortly after the install, my Drivers side airbag light came on steady

If it came on shortly after and not right after, it could very well just be a coincidence. It seems unlikely that the HU would have anything to do with the airbag light.

Were you installing an amp, running wires under the seats or anything? Is it possible the airbag wiring harness got dislodged?

Kunkstyle's Garage:
2006 AWD Pontiac Vibe
Infinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod

2000 Porsche 911 C2
Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.

kunkstyle

Postby audiovibe » Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:18 am

Also try to unconnect the battery wait a few seconds and then reconnect, that should reset and clear the code, but if it happens again somethings not right.
Aron
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style

audiovibe

Re: (audiovibe)

Postby kunkstyle » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:15 am

Quote, originally posted by audiovibe »
Also try to unconnect the battery wait a few seconds and then reconnect, that should reset and clear the code, but if it happens again somethings not right.
I was under the impression that that only works on CEL's, not airbag lights.

Kunkstyle's Garage:
2006 AWD Pontiac Vibe
Infinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod

2000 Porsche 911 C2
Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.

kunkstyle

Postby audiovibe » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:45 am

That’s what I thought, Same thing happened when I did my remote start, un hooked battery and hooked it back up and the light went away, could have been a coincidence but it worked for me.
Aron
Vibe is gone and will be missed as I've gone country style

audiovibe

Postby silvrhawk7 » Mon Jan 12, 2009 3:41 am

well, shortly after the discussion was opened, the light went away for some odd reason, and (Knock on wood) has not been back on since. as i was installing the HU, i didnt see any bright yellow wires, nor was i adding any components to the system. I kept the stock Sun and sound package in place for the time being, and unless parts start to fail i dont plan on replacing any of those components anytime soon. (tight budget these days). so thanx to everyone who gave any input on this.

silvrhawk7

Return to Audio, Electronics, Electrical