2009 Vibe now buildable on Pontiac web site

The latest news on what's happening with the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix.
toronado455

2009 Vibe now buildable on Pontiac web site

Post by toronado455 »

Pontiac finally has updated the web site to let you build a 2009 Vibe!http://www.pontiac.com/09vibe/I've been checking this like every day so forgive me if I'm a little excited. The build process (web programming) is a little confusing and not very user friendly, but I built a "Vibe 2.4L" with preferred pkg, Auto (5-sp), A/C and it came to $19,365. That is only $105 more than a 1.8L Matrix in my zip code!I just hope this isn't a fluke.
Kamikaze

Re: 2009 Vibe now buildable on Pontiac web site (toronado455)

Post by Kamikaze »

sweet! good info..I'll have to make one later tonight!
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
waveresponder

Post by waveresponder »

nice!....no "wave" choice...
toronado455

Post by toronado455 »

I built the same car on Edmunds: MSRP $19365, Invoice $18,212.I just noticed that includes floor mats which are $199 extra on the Matrix. So actually, the 2.4 Vibe costs $94 LESS than a 1.8 Matrix. In fact, the cheapest 2.4L/Auto Matrix is $22009 (w/mats).I'm trying to figure out how/why the price structure could be so different for these two cars. I know they force you to get the 17" wheels on the Matrix with the 2.4L. But even adding the same to the Vibe would only increase the price by $495 retail. It just doesn't make any sense.Not complaining though if this is true!
bull77

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by toronado455 »Pontiac finally has updated the web site to let you build a 2009 Vibe!I've been checking this like every day so forgive me if I'm a little excited. cool -- i wasn't the only one checking the site out every day Just wondering with the older model GTs, was the sunroof included in the price? On the 09GT the sunroof is a 1100 addon...
psiu

Re: 2009 Vibe now buildable on Pontiac web site (bull77)

Post by psiu »

It's showing the sunroof as a $700 addon for me. No foglamps available on the 1.8--no variable wipers either (though it does say standard with delay--is that what we already have?). The cargo cover is $60 now. No sunroof for the 1.8 either. Cruise is now optional too. Along with AC (knew that already).Grrr.
lovemyraffe

Post by lovemyraffe »

I went a built one last night. Kinda surprised that there aren't any wheel choices. Quote, originally posted by toronado455 »I built the same car on Edmunds: MSRP $19365, Invoice $18,212.I just noticed that includes floor mats which are $199 extra on the Matrix. So actually, the 2.4 Vibe costs $94 LESS than a 1.8 Matrix. In fact, the cheapest 2.4L/Auto Matrix is $22009 (w/mats).I'm trying to figure out how/why the price structure could be so different for these two cars. I know they force you to get the 17" wheels on the Matrix with the 2.4L. But even adding the same to the Vibe would only increase the price by $495 retail. It just doesn't make any sense.Not complaining though if this is true! I've noticed that there has always been a price difference between the Trix and the Vibe here. Before I bought the Vibe, I checked out a few different Trix's and they were all 2-3k more than the Vibes. Maybe it's cuz it's a Toyota, not a Pontiac
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
toronado455

Wheel Choices

Post by toronado455 »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »I went a built one last night. Kinda surprised that there aren't any wheel choices. I noticed that too. Gotta be a bug in the website.Though I personally prefer the smallest diameter rims available on any car , I have a hunch that the 2.4L Vibes will come equipped with the 17" rims as part of a required package. Though I could be wrong on that. Pontiac did after all develop a 16" bolt-on wheel cover specifically for the Vibe 2.4L and Vibe AWD that is different from the one for the base 1.8L.
TJinPgh

Post by TJinPgh »

Well, I'm withholding my thoughts on the overall look of the car as I haven't yet decided whether I like it or not.But, some general thoughts.I don't really like the fact that the base model (with the current engine) lacks so many options.Makes me feel like they're penalizing me for not wanting a bigger engine.Roof Racks: How can you have a Vibe and not have a roof rack at least available on all models? The roof rack was one of the reasons I chose the Vibe over the Matrix to begin with. I'd need to move up to the 2.4 to be able to haul my camping gear when I go with a group.It's bad enough that many things that used to be standard on these cars are now optional, but to make them not even optional on the 1.8 is really disappointing.Stereo Choices. The fact that, in a 2009 model, XM is standard and MP3 is not is somewhat out of touch, I think.Fold Away mirrors. About time on that one.Downgraded seats in the 1.8 with no upgrade available.No wheel options available for the 1.8L Fuel Economy. I realize that this is with the new standards and all, but 29 mpg highway on the GT? There are SUVs that get that.Sounds like an improvement to the cargo area (other than the cargo cover now being optional).Overall? Like I said, I'm withholding judgment on the appearance until I get to see one up close.Otherwise? I haven't looked at the details on the Trix, but sadly, I suspect I've bought my last Vibe.The availability of the 2.4 is nice. And, I realize a lot of people here have wanted a bigger option for a while.But, I, personally, was satisfied with the 1.8. And, at a time when there is so much push for better fuel economy, I really am disheartened by the decision to force people into bigger engined vehicles with mediocre fuel efficiency simply to get a few of the basics.
Zorren

Post by Zorren »

I am disappointed about the lack of options. I do want to drive a GT just to . I am not sure i would get one unless it was given to me for less than i am paying now.
Mrs. White: Yes, I did it. I killed Yvette. I hated her so... much... it... it... the... it... the... fee... flames... flames... on the side of my face... heaving... breathless... heaving breaths...
b train

Post by b train »

It's cheaper to just get a GT than it is to fully deck out a non GT 2.4
toronado455

Independent Rear Suspension

Post by toronado455 »

I wish the IRS was standard on all the Vibes, not just the AWD and GT. It almost seems pointless to make the non-IRS version. You would think it would cost them more to have to configure the assembly line to make two different rear suspensions.
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Lack of options on the base is simply BS! Look at the Caliber or others like that. Personally if I got a new Vibe I would want all the same options I have now in a base. Like TJinPgh said below and I agree!"I, personally, was satisfied with the 1.8. And, at a time when there is so much push for better fuel economy, I really am disheartened by the decision to force people into bigger engined vehicles with mediocre fuel efficiency simply to get a few of the basics."
WaveAction

Post by WaveAction »

hmm wheres all the options?? i think the most fun car to build that i like to do is the mini cooper..where u can add almost any accessory and it shows up in the actual pic to show how it would look
TJinPgh

Re: 2009 Vibe now buildable on Pontiac web site (ToolGuy)

Post by TJinPgh »

Quote, originally posted by ToolGuy »Lack of options on the base is simply BS! Look at the Caliber or others like that. Personally if I got a new Vibe I would want all the same options I have now in a base. Like TJinPgh said below and I agree! I was checking out the Toyota website to see how the new Trix compared in it's various trim levels with the Vibe.As one would suspect, not much different.The ironic part, however, was that roof racks, which were standard on all Vibes previously are available on all models of the Trix, while NOT available on the base Vibe or the GT.The base Matrix also has an alloy wheel option, while the base Vibe doesn't.On the other hand, a rear wiper continues to be standard on the Vibe, while it's apparently part of a package on the Trix.The variable intermittent wipers are not available on the front of either the Vibe or the Matrix, but, a variable intermittent wiper for the REAR is available for both as part of the preferred package (with cruise, power locks and windows, and keyless entry). Variable on the rear, but not the front. Ummmm... ooooookay.No audio upgrades available to the base models beyond the upgrade to mp3. No "Monsoon" system upgrade or DVD navigation.HEATED fold away mirrors are optional on the Trix. The Vibe lists the mirrors as fold away, but not heated.As mentioned previously, no sunroof option on the base models of either car.The Trix retails for about $300 more than the Vibe.The Vibe seems to have one or two items standard that the Trix doesn't, despite listing for a tad less. But, the Trix seems to have one or two options that the Vibe doesn't.In either case, it's still extremely disappointing that the versions of the Vibe and Trix that they use to tout the best fuel economy, are the versions with the least number of options.Edit:I was really hoping for more out of Toyota/GM for the Vibe/Tris this time around.Yes, there have been some mechanical improvements (ABS, etc) but many other things seem to be a step backwards.Considering the competition in the class, I'd really have to give a lot of thought about buying a new one.For about $600 less than the base Vibe, I can get a Suzuki SX4 Crossover.Which, in addition to being based on Japan's car of the year a year or two ago, has...An extra 11 horses (at roughly the same MPG)Alloy WheelsMP3/WMA Stereo with XMpower windows and locksLeather wrapped steering wheel with integrated audio controlsCruise Controlheated mirrorsA/C with automatic climate controlFor about $500 more you can throw in AWD (Still $100 less than the stripped down Vibe)Or, you can skip the AWD and, for $100 more than the stripped down Trix you can add inA 6 disc In Dash CD Changer with 9 Speaker system (including sub)upgraded keyless entry with remote startElectronic Stability and Traction ControlFog LampsRear SpoilerI'm not trying to sell anybody on a SX4, I'm simply saying that there's a lot of competition out there, and taking things away isn't the best way to compete in today's market.
toronado455

Re: 2009 Vibe now buildable on Pontiac web site (TJinPgh)

Post by toronado455 »

Quote, originally posted by TJinPgh »The variable intermittent wipers are not available on the front of either the Vibe or the Matrix, but, a variable intermittent wiper for the REAR is available for both as part of the preferred package (with cruise, power locks and windows, and keyless entry). Variable on the rear, but not the front. Ummmm... ooooookay.The actual wording is "front and rear variable intermittent wipers."It is poorly worded and ambiguous, but I'm guessing they mean both the front and rear have a variable intermittent function.I'm still not convinced that some of the oddities we are seeing in on the Pontiac web site are not just a result of some programming errors. I'm suspicious also because they don't have you input a zipcode first.Also, in the specs, they list the curb weight for both the 1.8 and 2.4 as 2,856. That obviously has to be a mistake.If you go into the "Tires & Wheels" section of the specs, it gives several options for wheel choices that don't show up in the build process.http://www.pontiac.com/09vibe/specs_wheels.jspFor example, the spec sheet shows the 18" NW2 as standard equip on the GT, while the build process shows the 17" N75 as the standard wheel on the GT with no wheel/tire option available. The spec sheet shows the 17" N75 as N/A on the GT. These discrepancies are clearly errors.
ToolGuy

Post by ToolGuy »

Well I certainly hope some of the oddities are errors... It just does not make sense to me with people wanting more fuel efficient vehicles and Hybrids but with nice standard equipment or at least the option to opt up but still have a fuel efficient engine, why would GM/Toy make the Vibe like this?Talk about making people go elsewhere! I mean what are they trying to do, push people back in time when body side moldings, a right side passenger mirror and rear defrost and AC were all options? And when crank windows and manual locks were just standard equipment? If you compare the Jeep Patriot, Dodge Caliber, the Cobalt, Nissan Versa, the Rouge, Honda Element and others to this I am sure you will find those better option wise. I have not compared myself, just thinking out loud and from knowing these are all fuel efficient vehicles and have nice standard options for under 20K or a little over 20K.
TJinPgh

Post by TJinPgh »

Ok, I stand corrected on the front variable wipers (although, it still doesn't say that on the Matrix web site).As for programming errors, perhaps. Although, if you look at the most glaring omissions from the base Vibe, they are duplicated on the base Matrix. So, if they ARE programming errors, then you have two different companies making some of the same ones.Such as the lack of a sunroof or high end audio system.To be fair, the SX4 that I used as a comparison doesn't have a sunroof option either. But, they don't offer a sunroof in any of the trim packages of that vehicle, so it's not as though they are penalizing people for not going for a bigger engine or trim package, which is exactly what Pontiac and Toyota are doing here. And, a "stripped down" SX4 has pretty much every option the Vibe has plus MOST of what I listed earlier while coming in at $1000 less. At this price point, $1k is sizable, especially when you're getting more for less.When you start comparing standard features for the AWD models, the the SX4 comes in at over $4200 less, and is available with a stick!I suppose we'll need to take a drive to the dealership and grab a brochure to be certain.But, given Pontiac's trend toward trying to attract the performance crowd, I won't be surprised to see that, by and large, the website is correct.I just really think they've dropped the ball with this one.With respect to the weight. I'm not sure it's a mistake or not.The curb weight on the Matrix website is only listed for the automatic on the base model. It's listed at 2965. It's certainly conceivable that the automatic weighs about 100 pounds more than the 5sp.Edit:Nevermind, I just understood what you're saying. The 1.8 and 2.4 wouldn't weigh the same.The weight of the base 2.4 Trix is listed at 3065
toronado455

Post by toronado455 »

Yes, neither the 1.8 Matrix nor 1.8 Vibe can be had as "fully loaded".What this tells me is that they (NUMMI) figure that customers who prefer a fully loaded car, and are willing to pay for it, would also want the upgraded engine and be willing to pay for the extra gas it consumes. They are looking at it from a total cost of ownership standpoint.I don't think the gas savings with the 1.8 is significant enough to favor it over the 2.4 in this vehicle. The biggest factor in MPG is always going to be weight, not engine size. And the 1.8 doesn't weigh enough less to make a significant difference. You're looking at probably about a 2-3 MPG difference in the real world between these two engines. That does not add up to much in terms of how much that will actually save you at the pump. This is not an all-out economy car.There are other considerations too, like you can drive conservatively in the 2.4 but have the power reserve when you need it. Where as the 1.8 doesn't offer you that flexibility. And for those who drive automatic, the 2.4/5-Speed auto is a better combo than the 1.8/4-speed auto.Overall, the 2.4 is going to be a quieter, smoother and more flexible choice. If you're looking for significant gas savings, you should probably be looking at a lighter car like the Honda Fit or perhaps a hybrid.
TJinPgh

Re: (toronado455)

Post by TJinPgh »

If that's the case, then why offer the 1.8 at all?Further, don't tout the fuel economy of the 1.8 in the ads if you don't want me to buy it.Truthfully, the fuel economy of the Vibe/Matrix has never been all that great to begin with.I realize it's a heavier car, but we're talking 12% less fuel economy between a Vibe and a Corolla, despite a weight difference of only about half of that.I, personally, was really hoping that we'd get more economy with the new model, not less.We're looking at about 4 mpg difference in town between the two engines. 21 mpg city (5sp) puts it no better than the AWD Rav 4 with a 4cyl, and only slightly ahead of the 6cyl.For cars in it's class, a Mazda 3 with a 2.3 and 5sp Auto gets better than the Vibe with a 2.4 and a manual.With gas promissing to top $4 a gallon this summer, those 2-4 mpg are going to end up making a lot of difference in what people buy, even if it doesn't make a lot of real difference at the pump.GM/Toyota really needs to come out with a sub $20k hybrid version of this car.
prathman

Re: (TJinPgh)

Post by prathman »

Quote, originally posted by TJinPgh »If that's the case, then why offer the 1.8 at all?Further, don't tout the fuel economy of the 1.8 in the ads if you don't want me to buy it.I think you already answered your own question there. Looks like the 1.8 is being offered so they can advertise the slightly better fuel economy numbers but they'd rather sell more of the optioned-up 2.4 versions.Not a strategy I like to see, but not all that uncommon.
toronado455

Re: (TJinPgh)

Post by toronado455 »

Quote, originally posted by TJinPgh »If that's the case, then why offer the 1.8 at all?Further, don't tout the fuel economy of the 1.8 in the ads if you don't want me to buy it.I was going to say you just answered your own question, but prathman beat me to it. Clearly marketing is part of the reason that the 1.8 is offered. They can advertise better figures then bait and switch customers to the 2.4 once they get onto the car lot.Also, it helps GM to get a teeny bit closer to their CAFE requirements.Another unfortunate gimmick is making A/C optional just to create artificially low advertised MSRPs.Quote, originally posted by TJinPgh »Truthfully, the fuel economy of the Vibe/Matrix has never been all that great to begin with.I realize it's a heavier car, but we're talking 12% less fuel economy between a Vibe and a Corolla, despite a weight difference of only about half of that.I, personally, was really hoping that we'd get more economy with the new model, not less.We're looking at about 4 mpg difference in town between the two engines. 21 mpg city (5sp) puts it no better than the AWD Rav 4 with a 4cyl, and only slightly ahead of the 6cyl.For cars in it's class, a Mazda 3 with a 2.3 and 5sp Auto gets better than the Vibe with a 2.4 and a manual.With gas promissing to top $4 a gallon this summer, those 2-4 mpg are going to end up making a lot of difference in what people buy, even if it doesn't make a lot of real difference at the pump.GM/Toyota really needs to come out with a sub $20k hybrid version of this car.I hear you. We all want better mileage, not worse. Especially with gas prices climbing - seemingly without an end in sight.This is also a complaint for fans of the Scion xB. The redesigned 2008 xB, which I believe shares a platform (or at least the 2.4 engine) with the 2009 Corolla/Matrix/Vibe, gets worse gas mileage than the previous generation. Consumer Reports got 23 overall in the new xB with a 4-speed automatic, which they noted was the same as an AWD RAV4 with the same motor.I imagine that the Vibe 2.4 is going to get very similar MPG to the new xB. The 5-speed auto may help it to get a bit more than the xB with the 4-speed auto, but there probably isn't going to be a dramatic difference.What I meant about not amounting to much savings at the pump was that the small MPG improvements count a lot more at the low end of the scale where they make up larger percentage increases. So for example, if you are getting around 23 in a 2.4 and a 1.8 is getting around 26 or so, then that isn't as large of a percentage difference (about a 12% improvement) compared to say, a full size SUV, where a 3 MPG improvement can mean a much larger percentage improvement if you were going from say, 14 MPG to 17 MPG which is about an 18% improvement.
TJinPgh

Post by TJinPgh »

Unfortunately, it just seems to continue a trend in the American market that is totally wrong headed.We are long overdue to start introducing clean diesel technology to this country, which would allow better performance AND better fuel economy.
toronado455

Wheel Options

Post by toronado455 »

Some wheel options are now showing up in the Pontiac web site build process for the Vibe 2.4.But it is only showing the N75 17" Chrome-Cladded wheel and not the P24 17" Machined-Faced wheel. And the price of the car doesn't change when you add the 17" wheel option. So the Pontiac build process is still broken.For those who are interested, the carsdirect.com build process works a lot better and shows all the wheel options and their prices.