Bye-bye to my Saturn-at least for now

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
AzFusionGT

Bye-bye to my Saturn-at least for now

Post by AzFusionGT »

My Saturn is a 2001 SL2, 5-speed, with 37,8xx miles, that I bought brand-new with 41 miles on the odometer, in May 2001. In April 2004, after getting an amazing deal on a 2004 Pontiac Vibe GT, my SL2 turned into a garage queen. I rarely drive it as I want it to last forever. I want to be the little old man driving my car in a parade of old cars in the year 2041. About two months ago I took it to the dealer for the free 27-point inspection, thinking that all would be well. Needless to say, they found about $2000 worth of work that needs to be done:*Radiator needs replacing, which I hear is normal.*Shifter cables coming apart, need replacing.*Ignition housing loose.*Oil pan leaking.*A few other items that are normal wear-and-tear.My Brother is a former mechanic, so getting these things fixed is not a big deal. (What is a big deal is coming up with the funds.) After getting this bit of news, I had the dealer appraise my car, while I walked around the lot looking at Vues. When I didn't see one that I just couldn't live without, home I went. (They offered $3000 BTW.) What concerns me is the fact that it needs all these major things, despite being only about five years old, with such low mileage. I can live with the normal stuff, but as for the major things, is this normal? I've also had all the service done at the same dealer - I would've thought that they would have noticed these things before the warranty ran out. The salesman said that maybe 2001 was a bad year and that it was time for a new one. He didn't like it when I asked him "What if 2006 is a bad year also?"Despite having a clean driving record, the monthly insurance was killing me, so this past weekend I put the SL2 in storage, and changed the insurance to comprehensive only. I thought I was okay with this until I got home, and my garage was empty. (it's a one-car garage.) The Vibe fits well, but it's just not the same. Since I live in a condo, parking has always been as issue, so coming home and putting the Vibe in the garage is a big plus.I didn't think I was as attached to my Saturn as apparently I am...I suppose I need to just get over it as there are so many other problems in the world, that this doesn't even rate... I just want to tell my story and get some cordial feedback/opinions, rather than a bashing. Anyway, thanks for reading.
2006 Saturn Vue Red Line -A Moose is on the Loose-1990 Toyota Camry LE-V6 - Katy the Camry -
ColonelPanic

Re: Bye-bye to my Saturn-at least for now (AzFusionGT)

Post by ColonelPanic »

That sounds like a good plan to me... You'll get to work on it as you have the time and resources to do so. Sounds better than just getting rid of it!
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

How many miles on the Saturn? $3k sounds like an insult, even if that's all it's worth nowadays. Don't know what your car ownership history is. I still miss the first car I ever had, although in hindsight it was a real beater, but it was my first and I'll always miss it. I think I miss the times I had in it more than the car itself.
kostby

Post by kostby »

Funny how those 'free inspections' ALWAYS turn up thousands of dollars in repairs for the dealer. I'd suggest an over-aggresive 'Service Advisor' was at work this time. Unless it's 'bleeding' on the garage floor like a stuck pig, an extra quart or two of several vital fluids are much cheaper than a costly repair for a car that's seldom driven.I know how it is, though. I have an '84 VW Rabbit Convertible garaged 99.9% of the year because it eventually needs work (new top) I don't have the cash to pay for. I only drive it on a few warm sunny days with the top down.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
mcgusto82

Re: Bye-bye to my Saturn-at least for now (kostby)

Post by mcgusto82 »

20K$ for the things you listed seems highly inflated. keep your car, the parts only cost shouldn't be more than 500$. since you say your bro is a machanic, he can save you some money on the labor.i too plan on keeping the vibe for ever. maybe it'll be a classic.just keep up with the maintenace and you should be fine with keeping it in storage. put a car cover on it though.
AzFusionGT

Re: Bye-bye to my Saturn-at least for now (mcgusto82)

Post by AzFusionGT »

The car cover is next on my list of things to do. My friend, who's garage the car is in, asked me to get an oil drip pan, which is still in MY garage. I had the radiator pressure-tested and there was no evidence of a leak. For the most part, I check the oil fairly regularly, and there are no leaks. I am kind of excited about working on it myself. Having a Brother who was a mechanic will sure help out too. Thanks to all for the kind words...
2006 Saturn Vue Red Line -A Moose is on the Loose-1990 Toyota Camry LE-V6 - Katy the Camry -