Unichip ordered ! / frustration sets in

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
iinan

Unichip ordered ! / frustration sets in

Post by iinan »

I just ordered my unichip today, they said that it will be here tomorrow, I will believe it when I see it.
2004 GTMagnaflow/Cosmo CAI/TRD Strut brace/Hotchkis springs20-15 tint/Unichip/18 Konig "trouble" wheelshttp://members.cardomain.com/iinan
BlueCrush

Re: Unichip ordered ! (iinan)

Post by BlueCrush »

Congrats! It should be a simple install. Keep us posted on how it works out for you.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

In the instructions you have to have the harness upside down so it will fit with your car ECU.Hope you have better customer suport then I have lately! I love the product/hate the service! Except tech support is awesome.
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
iinan

Re: Unichip ordered ! (Lancer)

Post by iinan »

Thanks for the tip lancer They also told me that I program it myself from my pc, is that correct? They (baxter auto parts) Also said that a rep from unichip was coming up from oregon to show them how to do it and they would show me. This goes against what I have read here about the unichip....I am going to pick it up after work, guess I will find out then. Sorry to hear of your recent troubles
2004 GTMagnaflow/Cosmo CAI/TRD Strut brace/Hotchkis springs20-15 tint/Unichip/18 Konig "trouble" wheelshttp://members.cardomain.com/iinan
iinan

Post by iinan »

Well I just walked over to pick up my unichip...And I got to touch it and dream of being just a tad less cool then lancers vibe And as I figured its not pre-programmed for a gt with magnaflow and a CAI. And them telling me that I can program it myself using my pc, seems to be a crock of poo. So I left it there until they can figure out if it is acutally programmed for my vibe with mods ( I know its not) or not. So who knows hows long it will be to get them to send it down to oregon and have it programmed, at least unichip is close by....frustration sets in btw it was $760 with tax if anyone is interested
goodvibe

Post by goodvibe »

The Cosmo is basically an Injen copy. The Injen with Magnaflow doesn't work well with Unichips' standard intake plus exhaust map. Theirs was done with TRD parts. The car will be lean enough near lift to where you'll get timing retard. The good news is that somebody with a Matrix mad BIG power using a Injen/Magnaflow/Unichip setup with a custom tune(DYNO). It seems that cosmo and Injen take similar tunes as do AEM and TRD. intakes. The Magnaflow isn't that similar to the TRD.
Vibe GT, TRD springs, Progress bar, STB, Unichip, Borbet E 16x7.5, 225/50 Bridgestone RE750, beefed up grounds and battery bypass capacitors(had em laying around)
iinan

Re: Unichip ordered ! (goodvibe)

Post by iinan »

ya lost me... what are you saying ???????
Lancer

Post by Lancer »

Not sure either?A CAI is a CAI. They're all basicly the same. If your a Unichip tuner you can program it yourself and it does use a Windows program. For me there aren't any in Wisconsin. It only takes (SHOULD TAKE) no more than 2 days to ship. For you, should be overnight, an hour to remmap, and another overnight. That's the theory anyway. The longest has been a week and a half, not counting this last time. You have to know exactly what you want or ask a lot of ?'s to the tech. The chick that normally answers the phone is a moron! Don't talk to her if you can help it.At least for you, you can still drive your car when you get it remapped. for me, it sucks. No car until the chip gets reinstalled.
18" Enkei's & Kumho Ecsta's-------UNICHIP Eibach Sport springs----------Morroso oil pan Injen CAI & Oil cap----------Stage 2 FI cams Custom Exhaust-----------TRD Supercharger AEM alt. pulley -------JSP Carbon Fiber hood 380cc injectors----DC Sports ceramic header
goodvibe

Re: Unichip ordered ! (Lancer)

Post by goodvibe »

TRD CAIs are notorious for throwing CELs in Vibe GTs. Cosmos don't when installed correctly. Must be because they're the same. The Magnaflow is a true CAT back with much less back pressure and the TRD is an axle back that mostly makes more noise and a couple of HP. They need different tunes to work at their optimum. The guy that used a stock intake/exhaust map from Unichip for his Matrix that had an Injen and Magnaflow made LESS power at the start of lift then before the chip because he was getting some preignition from running too lean. The cars ECU retarded the timing to prevent knock. This is probably worst on 03s between 6000 and 6400 RPM. I believe Unichips tunes were optimised with 04s. (Test car). You can load maps from a laptop but you can't get the a correct map to load without dyno time unless you car matches one of the 3 available from Unichip. With your 04, you may get lucky but I'm sure that you could find more power throughout the RPM range with a custom tune.
Vibe GT, TRD springs, Progress bar, STB, Unichip, Borbet E 16x7.5, 225/50 Bridgestone RE750, beefed up grounds and battery bypass capacitors(had em laying around)
iinan

Re: Unichip ordered ! (goodvibe)

Post by iinan »

ahh I see, thanks for clarifying Since I installed my Cosmo CAI my cel has been on, I am hoping that this fixes that issue as well. Hopefully it should get all straightened out and I can get it back into my sweaty little hands by mid next week.
goodvibe

Post by goodvibe »

I didn't think that cosmos had this problem when installed properly. Maybe the Magnaflo is making it enough leaner to throw a CEL. Here's the member from a matrix forum. The posts about these issues are from about 2 years ago and can no longer be searched. I'd say use his maps if he'll give them to you but he's got an 03. http://matrixowners.com/forums...=1589
iinan

Re: (goodvibe)

Post by iinan »

its mapped and on its way back from oregon ! I am going to pick it up tomorrow ! Cool thing is that the auto parts store is going to get the pc/software needed to remap it, and they said i can have it done for the life of the chip for free.
iinan

Re: (iinan)

Post by iinan »

Well somewhere between the unichip warehouse and the Baxter auto parts warehouse (which i am told are right next to each other) they lost my unichip.... Now they are hoping to have it found by monday.