Fuel tank size???

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
jasonvibe

Fuel tank size???

Post by jasonvibe »

In the manual and brochure. I see the fuel tank is sized @ 13.2 gal. FWD and about 12 gal. AWD. But when I filled my 2005 up just after the light kicked on ....it took 12 gallons. The tank was not near empty because the gauge was not as low as it can go. I know this because I test drove it with gauge much lower before the dealer and I put gas in for the rest of the test drive. I suspect my tank is more like 13 gallons. How much fuel have you folks been able to get into yours?
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Keep in mind some fuel is probably sitting in the filler neck, not just the tank.Not a ton, but there's still a reasonable enough amount there.You also can't be 100% sure the pumps'gauges are accurate.Also your gauge could have received a fuzzy signal for some reason. Remember, fuel gauges in cars are actually displaying the "average" of multiple readings. It does the average to give a more consistent reading of fuel, and prevents it from reacting to momentary, but sudden, shifts in fuel volume, such as a hard turn or fast start, which could trigger a false reading higher or lower then it really is. Perhaps your gauge simply was slow to update, and you really had less fuel then your gauge thought.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
GMJAP

Re: Fuel tank size??? (jasonvibe)

Post by GMJAP »

Quote, originally posted by jasonvibe » In the manual and brochure. I see the fuel tank is sized @ 13.2 gal. FWD and about 12 gal. AWD. But when I filled my 2005 up just after the light kicked on ....it took 12 gallons. The tank was not near empty because the gauge was not as low as it can go. I know this because I test drove it with gauge much lower before the dealer and I put gas in for the rest of the test drive. I suspect my tank is more like 13 gallons. How much fuel have you folks been able to get into yours?The light "on" point can vary. I can pump in 10-11 gallons after my light goes on.As Raging said, don't trust the gauge either....
2005 Platinum Base ManualSide & Curtain AirbagsABSPower PackageTinted Windows"Mods": 'old-style' center armrest, center +12v, wheelskins leather steering wheel, AC/Recirc blue backlight, beeps on keyless entry, dome light switch, AC insulation, PCD10 10-disc CD/MP3 changer, AAI-GM12 AUX audio input, K&N filter, "shark fin" antenna.
jasonvibe

Re: (ragingfish)

Post by jasonvibe »

The pumps must be correct. The weights and measures police have to check them once a year. Stations are only allowed about a 1-2% error. The neck I suppose could hold about 2 quarts. The other day I filled it again from the gauge showing about a 1/4 tank left. I got 11.5 gal. in. Yes, I kept topping it off. I am not worried about expansion with the chilly temps lately. Gauges do change(update) some when you have done a long drive. Then shut off and restart later. I am sure I have at least 13 gal. available if needed. Just wondering if anyone else has noticed?
binary

Post by binary »

I second Jason's statement - the pumps have to be certified correct by a state department (same department that ensures scales in supermarkets, weigh stations, etc are correct). 1-2% may be a little high - but I'm not aware of the exact number. The most I've ever put in my vibe is 11.57 gallons... and it was "pertneear" empty.I'd say the manual is accurate. You may want to check that again - run it as low as it was before, but try a dif. gas station, maybe thier pumps are off.
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

Quote, originally posted by jasonvibe » In the manual and brochure. I see the fuel tank is sized @ 13.2 gal. FWD and about 12 gal. AWD. But when I filled my 2005 up just after the light kicked on ....it took 12 gallons. The tank was not near empty because the gauge was not as low as it can go. I know this because I test drove it with gauge much lower before the dealer and I put gas in for the rest of the test drive. I suspect my tank is more like 13 gallons. How much fuel have you folks been able to get into yours?mine is the same way. I noticed this on my last fuel up. my light came on so I tanked up. Pump shut off at 12gal but I pumped to 13gal before thinking I better stop before I make a spill... fwd base it what I own and its an 04.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
Digger

Re: Fuel tank size??? (Mavrik)

Post by Digger »

I just put 12.101 gal. in my 05 AWD. The low fuel light just came on as I pulled into the station. If the light is to come on with 1-2 gal in reserve as the manual said. then I should have a 13-14 gal. capacity. That is including topping of though. I have noticed the gage is not true to amount of fuel but level of fuel in the tank. I get 100 mils about out of the first quarter then another 50 till half then 50 till 3/4 then 50 till light on. So Full 1/2 and empty are spot on but in between are not.
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"
jasonvibe

Re: Fuel tank size??? (Digger)

Post by jasonvibe »

that's pretty much what my says. Light comes on then I filled it. The auto off of the pump kicked in at 11+. I got 12.1 gal. or so in it. At that point I stopped. I suppose I could have put in more. So there seems to be a real 13 gallons in all of these. At least the '05. Also these gauges are not linear. Also notice the marks for 1/4 and 3/4 are spaced towards the ends of the scale.
mcgusto82

Post by mcgusto82 »

ok, i think it's safe to say that there isn't some kind of conspiracy dealing with the fuel tank size. i see no gain for pontiac or toyota if they kept the tank size a mistery. if they manual states it's 13.2 then it's 13.2. there always fuel on the neck of the fill tube. specially if you're like me nd keep toping it off.i actually thought i had read it was 13.5. i must've been seeing mushrooms.
cieglo

Post by cieglo »

I've put over 12 in mine...just to see where "empty" really was I let it run down. On me GT the empty light be comin' on at about 11 gals used.
Vibe GT '03, Lava Red 2-tone, 16" wheels, Moon'n'Tunes, Injen CAI, ACT clutch, vented rotors, Tein coil- overs, Grafxwerks decals, lead foot on the gas and white-knuckled fist on the stick & Hankook RS-3 for AutoX http://noraracing.net/
ZubenElGenubi

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

I'm right around 10.5-11.0 gallons when the light comes on. When filling up, I can easily put in 1.5-2.0 gallons after the first pump shutoff. The most I've ever put in the Vibe was over 14 gallons. (see scan in this related thread)http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...age=3
kostby

Post by kostby »

12.35 gallons after 349 miles of mixed driving (~28.2 mpg)

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
zionzr2

Post by zionzr2 »

i have AWD my manual states 11.9 gallon tank.I have but in 14.4 gallons in one tank. I often have put in more than 13.5 gallons.I can typically get at least 2 more gallons in after the pump first clicks off as full.
jasonvibe

Re: (zionzr2)

Post by jasonvibe »

It's agreed, the AWD's have more than the 11.9 the manual states. Much more...thanks
jake75

Re: (jasonvibe)

Post by jake75 »

Have base - generally do not add fuel after automatic cutoff. Also generally do not go under 1/2 tank except sometimes on a long trip. Usually a 11 gal fill when low fuel light goes on. BTW reg 87 gas here today was $2.54. Less the5% disc via my Shell MC nets to $2.41 in round numbers.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Digger

Re: (jake75)

Post by Digger »

You need to go north a bit. I just filled at $2.33. with card discount of 10% that makes it $2.10. I read in the manual the light does not come on at the same time mine said it will come on between 1 and 2 gal in reserve. Also, That first shut off at the pump also depends on the pump. I always try to round up to the nearest $$ when I fill up. This also makes it hard to get a good MPG rating I would say it might be +/- 1 MPG depending on how much you top off.
2005 AWD What's your story?It's a wonderful thingMomma always said "Help that is not helpful, is no help at all"