Paint Protection with Teflon

Tips, tricks, and recommendations for keeping your vehicle looking new
21Rouge

Paint Protection with Teflon

Post by 21Rouge »

I am planning ahead for services and accessories once the Vibe arrives...rust protection, tinting, mud guards, 3M/equivalent on the hood.I went today to a recommended detailing store. The owner recommended an application of "paint protection with Teflon". What do you think guys?
Stang2Vibe

Re: Paint Protection with Teflon (Boxgrover)

Post by Stang2Vibe »

We've gone all through this teflon thing before. It generally boils down to it being a marketing gimmick. DuPont, the exclusive maker and inventor of teflon has stated that applying teflon by hand to a car's paint doesn't do anything. When a teflon non-stick coating is applied to something (like frying pans, etc.) the surface must be specially primed and prepared to accept the teflon and a special application process must be used (I don't think they even released much detail about how that process works because it's probably a trade secret, but I think the process included heating the surface the teflon is being applied to up to a very high temperature). There is plenty of info out there to back me up on this.Basically, when you apply a car wax with teflon, you take the teflon back off when you buff off the dried wax. Pretty much the only teflon that remains is that which is held there by gravity. At that point, you might as well consider it a surface contaminant because it's doing absolutely nothing to protect the paint. Save your money and buy a wax product that has been proven to protect the finish. Use a pure carnuba wax product or if you want to go the synthetic route, use a polymer-based product that is meant for a vehicle's exterior.
Former owner of a 2003 Vibe GT---Great car that gave me 8 years and 83,000 miles of trouble-free service.Current owner of a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited AWD.
Mr. Poopypants

Re: Paint Protection with Teflon (Stang2Vibe)

Post by Mr. Poopypants »

Agreeing with what Stang is saying. Go get a can of Mother's Pure Carnuba, it is some of the best wax on the market.
A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.