What did you do to your Vibe today?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
KITT222

Re: What did you do to your Vibe today?

Post by KITT222 »

I drove. I didn't have a place to go, I just drove. And it was the best decision I made all day.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Been pretty busy lately and forgot to post on the 28th that my Vibe's FOURTH anniversary was that date :D Hard to believe I've had it four years now. It is well preserved at just over 16000 miles and looking forward to it's next road trip .... Pontiac, Ill :D Oh I guess I'd better fill it up soon as the last fill up was back in Feb when I returned from my Florida trip :lol:
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

For the recall, how much do they have to take apart ? I was thinking of taking the Vibe in but leary of someone ( other than me ) pulling my car apart.... :roll:
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

from what i understand, the module/harness they fix is located somewhere behind the hvac contols deep in the dash

its been a busy week...but im at my parents so i have someone to watch the kids while i get to work

got the car detailed yesterday as it was FILTHY inside

also got the recall done

today i made a trip to NF NY and picked up some cleaning items. most importantly the trim restorer from turlte wax....makes the cladding look new (however, with an ultra-clean car i really notice how many bangs, bumps, and scratches are on every square inch of the car, lol)

also got a vibrant 2.5" ultraquiet resonator installed. i kept the 17" resonator and the oem-style muffler (both 2.5" in/out), and had the UQ resonator installed just behind the passenger side rear suspension

the car is now OEM-quiet inside the car. i miss the gurgle/popping, but don't miss the buzz/rasp at 2800-3200rpm and the subsequent drone on the highway.

in retrospect, i should have done a UQ res in the first place. but my exhaust experience has been a fantastic learning experience
trb

Post by trb »

I changed the oil this weekend on my GT after about 10,000 miles. :( Yes, I know, but it was Mobil 1 with a Mobil 1 filter and the oil still looked pretty good. I intended to change it at about 8,000 miles, but just kept putting it off.

One thing I found out, DON'T try to add any oil if the engine is running! I put in about 4 quarts, started it and then tried to put in a bit more, and the valve train sprayed oil all over the engine and windshield! Doh, I felt like an idiot. So the car got a bath as a result of my dumb action!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

i love being a stay-at-home parent...

pic from this morning

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

This past Sunday, I spent about 8 hours doing a full exterior detail on my mom's Vibe in preperation for the meet in Pontiac next week.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
smurray09

Post by smurray09 »

I drove it around the neighborhood lol.. learning how to drive a stick shift ;)
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Spotted a Gen2 vibe with gen1 16's

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

thebarber wrote:Spotted a Gen2 vibe with gen1 16's

Looks nice :cool:!
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Replaced my front wipers with Michelins. They originally call for 18 & 21, however I remember reading ( somewhere ) here that a 22" wiper will fit....well its does LOL. Any more coverage I can get is great, Florida storm rainy is here :( Loving the fact that I have "upgraded" to a 12" rear wiper & 22" up front. 6.97 each at wally world. Cheaper than the Toyota dealer too ! Also bought a new plain jane window shade. I was using the one for my Civic but its a bit shorter & noticed last week where the dash isnt covered by the shade its fading a little. Florida sun is brutal here & gotta keep the Vibe looking good 8-)
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

thebarber

Post by thebarber »

thebarber

Post by thebarber »

KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Okay barber... I laughed. Very nice. How did people react?
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Washed and waxed for the meet. Which means I'm going to get swarmed by bugs and rained on all the way there I'm sure. ;)
Image  Image
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

KITT222 wrote:Okay barber... I laughed. Very nice. How did people react?
Gotcha! LOL

That pic was taken at the Toyota nation meet in Mississauga, so they all thought it was funny....

I try to put something amusing on the hood for meets
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

GT strut brace installed, courtesy of Carrie. Thanks again!
Image  Image
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Rayven01 wrote:GT strut brace installed, courtesy of Carrie. Thanks again!
Looks great Shawn ;)! You're very welcome!
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Picked up The Barber's H-techs yesterday, cant wait to put them on!
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Doug14 wrote:Picked up The Barber's H-techs yesterday, cant wait to put them on!
Was good to meet you

Something arrived from Japan...
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

So, I filled my Vibe up with gas last Friday before heading down to Pontiac for the big meet. I drove from Sandwich to Pontiac (~65 miles one way), Pontiac to Starved Rock and back to Pontiac (~60 miles round trip), than my dad drove my Vibe from Pontiac back to Sandwich Saturday night, took our dogs for a ride Sunday morning (~30 miles) and I drove it to work (16 miles round trip) Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. I got gas yesterday and achieved my highest MPG ever... 34.005! I was very impressed with this number considering going to Pontiac on Friday, I had the rear seats folded down and had the whole rear seat area and cargo area loaded up with stuff. Some things were removed before the trip to and from Starved Rock, but there was still a lot of extra weight in the rear seat and cargo areas. The majority of driving was done with the cruise control set at 55 MPH. There were a couple miles on Interstate 55 where I had it at 65 MPH, but otherwise it was always at 55 MPH. My Vibe never ceases to amaze me :D!
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Good mileage...that's in a 2.4? 55 MPH is key. Driving thru Michigan last weekend the speed limit was 70 and everyone does 75...still managed 29mpg, though
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

thebarber wrote:Good mileage...that's in a 2.4? 55 MPH is key. Driving thru Michigan last weekend the speed limit was 70 and everyone does 75...still managed 29mpg, though
Thanks! Yep, it's a 2.4L with the 5-speed auto. Getting that mileage was the best way to start my day off yesterday! I have no doubt that if I didn't have a ton of stuff in the back and I was driving 100% highway at 55 MPH, I could easily get upwards of 36+ MPG no problem. Things like this make me love my Vibe more and more everyday :D!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Awesome numbers Carrie :D I think you actually beat my numbers for this trip, but ONLY because the wife was with me :x She is so used to driving her G8GT that she just can't drive slow :roll: I didn't calculate the numbers yet but the tank out there was around 34mpg. Me driving but with her nagging that everyone was passing us up, so I had to occasionally "step on it" to pacify her :o However; the tank on the way back should be a disastrous 30 mpg if I'm lucky :twisted: Sue drove home and went 75-80 most of the way :evil: Oh well, I'm at least glad that she accompanied me on this trip. She really had a blast as most of us did also ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Awesome! I just beat you, Carrie, at 35.4mpg for the tank on the way and during the meet. I went 55 a majority of the time as well so the difference was probably the weight. On the way home I just wanted to get there quicker so I went 70 and only got 29.6.
Image  Image
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Tim, that's funny that Sue was the one wanting to drive faster and you were wanting to drive slower to achieve the best possible gas mileage. You'd think it'd be the other way around :lol:! I'm glad she had a good time though. It was great meeting her and chatting with her as well! I love her love of her G8 (and I am jealous that she has a G8 :P!)!

Awesome to hear Shawn! I never really get to do all (or almost all) highway driving in the Vibe, so when I do, I really try to take advantage. I am very pleased and I know if I would have had less weight in the back, it would have been even better. Still, when you consider the EPA highway rating is 29 MPG, to beat that by 5 MPG is pretty d@mn good!
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Filled up @ 30usmpg last tank...
cmpltvertigo

Post by cmpltvertigo »

Replaced my antenna. Was not as hard as I thought it would be. I just had to remove the rear ceiling tabs on the headliner and remove the side rear panel (pasenger side) - you dont have to take it all the way off just unclip the top and unbolt the seatbelt bracket. Much better reception now and I get to enjoy my talk shows on the AM station now.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Had some extra sound deadening left over from my doors. I decided to pull back the carpet on the passenger & drivers side floorboard & use it there. I was tring to figure out what to do with it for a while, then it hit me, that the floorboard would be the most effective place to put it. Now i have a nice rectangular piece on both sides. I dont know if it make much of a difference ( i hope it does ) but my next drive on the highway will tell. Anything to help with road noise :D
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Had the window switch recalls done on both Vibes this week. Everything went fine. As always, everyone was nice as could be at Bill Walsh GM in Ottawa, IL (which is why I drive ~30 miles one way instead of going to the dealer that is about 2 miles from my house :P). I thought about test driving a Chevy Spark for the heck of it while I was there, but ended up deciding it would be better not to open up that can of worms :roll:.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Did all for corners' rotors and pads Friday thanks to dnm (who ideally has taught a man to fish). Had a seized caliper on the front drivers side...so had to grab a "new" one from Napa

Running hawk HPS pads now. Good grip, but nothing seems to have the braking of my yaris...

DNM also got me a bunch of leftovers from his/tices XRS, so I now have a leather(ette?) cover for the center console

Roataed the tires while doing the brakes, too
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

thebarber wrote: Had a seized caliper on the front drivers side...
Just out of curiosity, how does one diagnose a seized caliper? I've got a weird rubbing/vibrating noise below 20km/h, it carries all the way up into the passenger's A-pillar, often when braking. My mechanic said my car is fine, but of course I couldn't replicate the noise when I had him in the car... He did however look at my brakes and conclude that my Driver's side caliper is a little loose, not enough to do any damage, just to be a bother sometimes.
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

MrHatchWagon wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how does one diagnose a seized caliper? I've got a weird rubbing/vibrating/humming noise below 20km/h, it carries all the way up into the passenger's A-pillar, often when braking. My mechanic said my car is fine, but of course I couldn't replicate the noise when I had him in the car... He did however look at my brakes and conclude that my Driver's side caliper is a little loose, not enough to do any damage, just to be a bother sometimes.
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

MrHatchWagon wrote:
Just out of curiosity, how does one diagnose a seized caliper? I've got a weird rubbing/vibrating noise below 20km/h, it carries all the way up into the passenger's A-pillar, often when braking. My mechanic said my car is fine, but of course I couldn't replicate the noise when I had him in the car... He did however look at my brakes and conclude that my Driver's side caliper is a little loose, not enough to do any damage, just to be a bother sometimes.
What likely happened to me is I had to brake heavy on the highway one time and it seemed to warp a rotor (I thought both fronts got cooked)

Whenever I'd brake hard you could feel vibration in the wheel. Eventually at highway speeds, braking would make a woob-woob-woob sound.

If you took your caliper off and tried to push back the piston with a big sliding wrench like we did and it doesn't go back, its seized
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Gloss black upper deck spoiler from http://www.carid.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Direct link as of July 4, 2013 http://www.carid.com/2004-pontiac-vibe- ... 41971.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Still needs a drop...
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

thebarber wrote: Whenever I'd brake hard you could feel vibration in the wheel. Eventually at highway speeds, braking would make a woob-woob-woob sound.

If you took your caliper off and tried to push back the piston with a big sliding wrench like we did and it doesn't go back, its seized
Oh I see, thanks for the info.
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

thebarber wrote:Still needs a drop...
Working on it! Need to do another oil change and possibly new pads/rotors first.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Washed my mom's Vibe this morning. It hadn't been washed since right before the Pontiac meet which was a month ago :|. I am hoping to get mine washed at some point this weekend as well since it too hasn't been washed since before the Pontiac meet :|.

I feel like such a neglectful Vibe owner :(.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

vibenvy wrote:Washed my mom's Vibe this morning. It hadn't been washed since right before the Pontiac meet which was a month ago :|. I am hoping to get mine washed at some point this weekend as well since it too hasn't been washed since before the Pontiac meet :|.

I feel like such a neglectful Vibe owner :(.
My feeling is that like a k&n filter, a car functions better with a bit of dirt on it

:P
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

thebarber wrote:My feeling is that like a k&n filter, a car functions better with a bit of dirt on it

:P
:lol:
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

So today I pulled a bonehead move and went to work (20 miles) without my oil cap on! :oops: I'd topped it off over the weekend and left the cap laying on the battery. The CEL was on because of the damn rear wheel sensor (happens for a few miles after every time I wash it, which I did on Sunday) so I thought nothing of it and drove to work. Couldn't tell at all on the highway but once I got to the city I noticed it was running a little (very slightly) louder than normal. Popped the hood in the parking garage at work and no cap. It spit about a couple of tablespoons worth of oil up under the hood (most soaked into the insulation). Couldn't even tell a difference on the dipstick level. I bought a cheapie universal cap at firestone a few blocks from work at lunch and on the way home I found my cap about 50 yards from the house.
Image  Image
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Rayven01 wrote:So today I pulled a bonehead move...
Bummer, oh well it was a Monday! Glad to hear you found your cap though.

I installed a Cosmo SRI last night and I love the sound! It only came in blue though so I am going to paint it black.
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Bought a can of Plasti Dip today. I plan on doing my roof rack, the rear valance, and possibly the two Vibe emblems next to the front doors. Now I just need to find a nice day when I'm not working to do it...

Oh, in other news, I'm officially a Registered Nurse! I got my national exam results back last week, and I couldn't be happier. My many years of blood, sweat and tears have finally paid off. Cheers!
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
Houston

Post by Houston »

Congratulations, MrHatchWagon. Well done.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

Good job hatchwagon, lots of work in that field

I did the a/c line insualtion and topped off my a/c with a can of stuff from the US.....blow ice cold now
Bastranz

Post by Bastranz »

Awesome! Congratulations MrHatchWagon!

Today I replaced my flasher module with an LED compatible one, and changed my rear indicator light bulbs to LED lights! I'm quite thrilled with them! Many thanks to Derf for posting this write-up and video: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40564" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yesterday I finally replaced my map lights and as well as my old LED bulbs for my License Plate lights (hopefully the better quality new ones will last much longer). Quite pleasing, though I had to wait until nearly nightfall to do this with the epic heatwave we are having out here!
Owner of the first official "Brando-mobile", the "Silver Streak". 2003 Base Vibe, FWD.
Moved into the next generation, what's new is "Azúl" 2010 2.4 Vibe, AWD
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Fixed several things today:

-Mirror was a little broken. Reattached at the servo and pivots.
-Tweeter occasionally crackled. It was shorting on the body. Re-soldered where the wire had been cut all the way through.
-Little component box was swaying in the door (causing the rubbing which created the crackle), and was knocking against things, annoying me. Zip tied to other wires: no more problems.
-Door check was making a little "double" noise. A bolt was loose. Tightened, and no more noise.
-Possibly fixed a rattle in my b-pillar trim
-Removed wiring for my botched reverse camera experiment. If I do it all again, I'll do it right.

I feel very accomplished!