Chassis Lubrication - What's Involved?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Bdaz1

Chassis Lubrication - What's Involved?

Post by Bdaz1 »

I see from my Owners Manual, that I'm due for a "Chassis Lubrication". Does anyone know what this involves? I'd like to do it myself. I don't see any grease fittings under the vehicle (am I missing anything?)Thanks!
Bdaz1 2003 Vibe - Base 1.8L I4/FWD/Two-Tone Satellite/Graphite/Tinted Windows/Auto & Power
Vibe Rater

Re: Chassis Lubrication - What's Involved? (silverawd26)

Post by Vibe Rater »

I wonder what the dealer would charge for this 'Chassis Lubrication'?
Lorin

Post by Lorin »

The dealer is already sending me marketing materials telling me its time for a oil-lube-filter.....
Lorin2003 Pontiac Vibe GT, Neptune-mono, moons & tunes, power package, side impact airbags, rear seat covers, bumper protector, cargo mat.Mods installed: TRD exhaust, TRD stb, Mods removed: TRD CAI - annoyed by CEL
red

Post by red »

when i had my oil change at jiffy lube...they put on the receipt that there was nothing on the chassis to lube, that it was lubed for life...how come they (gm/toyota) tell the owners to lube something that cant be lubed? why not say, "okay lube the parking brake every xxxx miles" instead !
Bdaz1

Post by Bdaz1 »

Thanks for the feedback.
Bdaz1 2003 Vibe - Base 1.8L I4/FWD/Two-Tone Satellite/Graphite/Tinted Windows/Auto & Power
NovaResource

Post by NovaResource »

silverawd26 is correct. All chassis points are sealed and need no lubrication. The chassis lube required in the owners manual is just lubricating the parking brake cable (that's directly from the Vine service manual).
Triton

Post by Triton »

I was wondering about this subject myself. I'm glad to see that someone made a thread about this.
***SOLD***2003 Vibe GT Monotone Neptune - Inaugural October 2004 Vibe of the Month***SOLD***

Now the proud owner of Titanium Silver 2012 Kia Optima SX
coratz

Re: Chassis Lubrication - What's Involved? (Triton GT)

Post by coratz »

ok, heres what you need to lube. use wd40. do all door hinges/strikers. do all parking brake cables. do the hatch striker/lock.do the hood latch.do the throtle cable at the throtle.
ychartra

Post by ychartra »

I use white lithium grease. It doesn’t run like WD-40 does. It also sticks to the parts for much longer. It is also useful in preventing corrosion on batter terminals. That is what my Toyota dealer used to spray on my Tercel. I have used it ever since. It works great. You can buy it at Home Depot or your local Toyota dealer. It comes in a spray bottle with a straw, just like WD-40.
ychartra

Post by ychartra »

I use white lithium grease. It does not run like WD-40 does. It also sticks to the parts for much longer. It is also useful in preventing corrosion on batter terminals. That is what my Toyota dealer used to spray on my Tercel. I have used it ever since. It works great. You can buy it at Home Depot or your local Toyota dealer. It comes in a spray bottle with a straw, just like WD-40.
Kazig

Re: (ychartra)

Post by Kazig »

Quote, originally posted by ychartra »I use white lithium grease. It doesn’t run like WD-40 does. It also sticks to the parts for much longer. It is also useful in preventing corrosion on batter terminals. That is what my Toyota dealer used to spray on my Tercel. I have used it ever since. It works great. You can buy it at Home Depot or your local Toyota dealer. It comes in a spray bottle with a straw, just like WD-40.Quote, originally posted by ychartra »I use white lithium grease. It does not run like WD-40 does. It also sticks to the parts for much longer. It is also useful in preventing corrosion on batter terminals. That is what my Toyota dealer used to spray on my Tercel. I have used it ever since. It works great. You can buy it at Home Depot or your local Toyota dealer. It comes in a spray bottle with a straw, just like WD-40.Wow, I never realized the room was large enough to echo.
KazigBase NeptuneMoon and Tunes, Power Package, 4spd AutoTinted Windows, Real-time OBDII Monitoring.Lapeer, MIOn the keyboard of life keep one finger on the escape key!
wicked1981

Re: Chassis Lubrication - What's Involved? (Bdaz1)

Post by wicked1981 »

Funny how you would get charged soo much for soo little.
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP3.9L V-6 240hp and 241 lb-ft or torque18" Aluminum, five-spoke, flangeless200 Watt, 8 speaker Monsoon sysChrome dual exhaust tipsLiquid Silver MetallicBorla Custom ExhaustDr. Speed Cold Air Intake
ToolGuy

Re: Chassis Lubrication - What's Involved? (wicked1981)

Post by ToolGuy »

Normally the ball joints are lubed and some other lube points in the front end on some cars and lots of cars back in the days. Vibes are sealed for life, non-lubeable.