Matrix / Vibe parts interchangable?

Pontiac, GM SPO (Service Parts Organization) & TRD (Toyota Racing Development) discussions
Mavrik

Matrix / Vibe parts interchangable?

Post by Mavrik »

Reason I ask is I have the base 5spd Vibe and I want something a little more fancy for the shifter. However being the picky person that I am I require one that has my shift pattern on the top. Now Pontiac makes NO shifters but Matrix has performance ones they sell as accessories See image. Now I need to find the closest Toyota dealer and find out the price but anyone know if these just thread on like the Vibe ones? The one that has my eye is the second on the left with the 5spd pattern.Did you guys know they make carbon filter(what ever you call it) interor panels as well?
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
joatmon

Re: Matrix / Vibe parts interchangable? (Mavrik)

Post by joatmon »

If the shift knob will fit the stock Matrix shifter, it will fit the stock Vibe shifter. Almost everything except exterior body parts should be interchangeable.
Altus

Re: Matrix / Vibe parts interchangable? (joatmon)

Post by Altus »

And for that matter - Interior body parts should be perfectly interchangeable as well. Colours might be a bit different, but the parts are exactly the same. Exterior however, those won't work as the Vibe's got different almost everything on the outside.
2003 Shadow Vibe -- Alloys, Auto, and Allota fun!Vibe #4,873Sadly, traded-in for a 2005 Dodge Grand Caravan
Mavrik

Re: Matrix / Vibe parts interchangable? (Altus)

Post by Mavrik »

Sweet deal, guess I'll be calling one of London's Toyota dealerships and see if they can get that shifter for me. The website the pic was from was the US one but I couldn't understand the canadian one to find it lol. Guess a good ol phone call works best.Thanks guys.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
wicked1981

Post by wicked1981 »

well the exhaust is exterior and the Vibe's exhaust says TOYOTA. Im sure a lot of arts are interchangable.
2006 Pontiac G6 GTP3.9L V-6 240hp and 241 lb-ft or torque18" Aluminum, five-spoke, flangeless200 Watt, 8 speaker Monsoon sysChrome dual exhaust tipsLiquid Silver MetallicBorla Custom ExhaustDr. Speed Cold Air Intake
ragingfish

Re: Matrix / Vibe parts interchangable? (wicked1981)

Post by ragingfish »

when he said exterior, i believe he was referring to body panels -- very few cosmetic parts on the exterior are similar, except perhaps wipers and door handles...though i'm not even sure those are interchangeable...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
Mavrik

Re: Matrix / Vibe parts interchangable? (wicked1981)

Post by Mavrik »

I'm coming to realise that the Vibe and Matrix are like Sunfire and Cavalier. Everything but the exterior appearance is all the same. Though mind you Cavaliers look different in the interior from the Sunfire but you know what I mean.Would anyone know were I could get the US part numbers for those shifters? Toyota can order me one here in canada... but the helpful fellow said I needed to find the US part number...
slbpsi63

Post by slbpsi63 »

There is only one exterior part that is interchangeable. The side view mirrors. So if the trix gets m-3 style mirrors, that means we will too.
Base Vibe, Shadow Monotone, 5sp.
Sub-Vibe-R

Re: Matrix / Vibe parts interchangable? (slbpsi63)

Post by Sub-Vibe-R »

Door handle are the same on Vibe/Matrix and Corolla.I parked just beside a Corolla 2003 yesterday and the door handle are exactly the same as my vibe.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Quote, originally posted by Mavrik »Would anyone know were I could get the US part numbers for those shifters? Toyota can order me one here in canada... but the helpful fellow said I needed to find the US part number... The toyota page where you linked the pic from says they are made by OBX Racing. To me, it looks like they are available from OBX directly, athttp://www.obxracingsports.com...ID=12Quote, originally posted by "OBX" »This beefy billet aluminum is carbon wrapped to give it the ultimate racing dynamic look. Made for vehicles with high horsepower engine and transmission in mind. Great for power shifting. These will fit most cars. Adapters for various shaft sizes are included.
Mavrik

Post by Mavrik »

Well I got the chrome one ordered from Scott at the london toyota. $62.95 canadian for the 5spd shifter. I was really impressed with his help but calling the US for the part number was interesting to say the least heh... He also had a lot of information on the Super Charger even for the Vibe unlike my own GM parts department. I'll have to motivate them heh... (GM parts that is) but he knew exactly what I was talking about and had all the answers I needed. He would even get in installed there if I wanted for about $5000 canadian.
whiteknight1972

Re: Matrix / Vibe parts interchangable?

Post by whiteknight1972 »

Going a bit further out...How many interior parts from a like year Toyota Corolla fit my 03 Pontiac Vibe? I know they also have common parts but will the interior door panels switch? The Corolla has the nice wood trim :)
03 Vibe ~R.I.P. Kaine 2003-2007~
trb

Post by trb »

whiteknight1972 wrote:Going a bit further out...How many interior parts from a like year Toyota Corolla fit my 03 Pontiac Vibe? I know they also have common parts but will the interior door panels switch? The Corolla has the nice wood trim :)
I don't think a lot from a Corolla except for switches, door handles and a few other misc things will swap. I tried to fit a mint leather Corolla S steering wheel in my GT and the center mounting point was too big to fit. :( I'm looking for upgrades too and I looked at two Matrix XR models for some nice rear door panels since the Matrix had cloth inserts in some models that match the front panels, not solid plastic ones like on the Vibe.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
whiteknight1972

Post by whiteknight1972 »

I always wondered if the the 03 Corolla interior door panels are interchangeable with the Vibe. They have the same curve where it meets the dash but they come padding and with wood trim. Anyone ever try?
03 Vibe ~R.I.P. Kaine 2003-2007~
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

whiteknight1972 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 4:51 pm I always wondered if the the 03 Corolla interior door panels are interchangeable with the Vibe. They have the same curve where it meets the dash but they come padding and with wood trim. Anyone ever try?
They are close, but I don't think they are interchangeable. I grabbed pics of front passenger door panels off the net for both vibe and corolla, sized them to the same width, and put them side by side
doorpanels.jpg
doorpanels.jpg (25.02 KiB) Viewed 8093 times
The corolla panel on the right looks shorter, which could be a difference in the pictures, but if you look at the distance from the bottom of the panel to the bottom of the curved section on the left side of the panel, you can see more space on the vibe panel than the corolla panel. On the vibe, that flat curved section ends above the speaker, its lower on the rolla. So, I think the vibe panel is actually taller.

The manual lock/opener hole is in a different spot, which might be an issue if the cables aren't long enough or there isn't a mounting hole to support the move.
Danzvibe1

Post by Danzvibe1 »

I am planning to try putting the rear lower bumper valance on from an early model Matrix XR. I know it won't PERFECTLY line up, but I have a feeling it will be pretty close. I have already verified that 03-04 Corolla front lips will line up VERY well with only minor modification, on ALL 03-08 Vibes. Check out my other thread for pics on that.
tommytipover

Re: Matrix / Vibe parts interchangable? (slbpsi63)

Post by tommytipover »

Sub-Vibe-R wrote: Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:31 am Door handle are the same on Vibe/Matrix and Corolla.I parked just beside a Corolla 2003 yesterday and the door handle are exactly the same as my vibe.
I was amazed by door handle interchange. Some are painted, and some are black textured (I just sprayed a silver one from the U-Pull, black). Corolla ,Camry RAV4, Highlander some ES300, Toyota got there money's worth out of that tooling.
tommytipover
2003 base 5spd.