Pontiac News

The latest news on what's happening with the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix.
macrosonic

Pontiac News

Post by macrosonic »

It will be interesting to see how the Vibe fits in with Pontiacs long term future direction. There could be a beefed-up all-GM Vibe replacement... and he mentions plans for a sport-wagon and sport-van.[Cut from Automotive News article "GM Poised For Lutz Era" by Dave Guilford]Sunfire: Pontiac will continue to offer the Sunfire on the current J-car architecture for the 2005 model year and possibly 2006 - splitting paths from its sister vehicle, the Chevrolet Cavalier. Chevrolet's Cavalier replacement, called the Cobalt, will be produced off GM's new fwd Delta platform for the 2005 model year. Insiders say Pontiac has not decided what type of entry-level vehicle will fit the performance image the brand is trying to create.Grand Am: The successor to the Grand Am will resemble Pontiac's G6 concept car. The car will be developed off GM's mid-sized, fwd Epsilon architecture. The Grand Am name will be dropped when the as-yet-unnamed four-door sedan debuts for the 2005 model year. A coupe will follow in early 2005, followed by a retractable hard-top model in the third quarter of 2005. The new car will be aimed at the enthusiast crowd and is expected to be priced a few notches above the Grand Am. A GXP version is likely in early 2006. GXP is Pontiac's performance brand. Vehicles wearing that badge will receive horsepower, handling, steering and braking enhancements and a spoiler, bigger wheels and styling changes. Grand Prix: The restyled, re-engineered 2004 model went on sale this year. A GXP version arrives in summer 2005. Bonneville: The 2004 Bonneville GXP goes on sale in early 2004, becoming Pontiac's first model under the GXP performance brand. It features a 4.6-liter, 32-valve, double overhead cam Northstar V-8 engine with an estimated 275 hp and 300 pounds-feet of torque. But the Bonneville's future is uncertain beyond the 2007 model year.Solstice: GM continues to work on development of rwd architecture for small, low-priced cars, including the popular Solstice concept. Expect to see the sub-$20,000 roadster for the 2007 model year.GTO: The much-anticipated rwd GTO based on the Holden Monaro arrives in November. The four-passenger coupe will be packed with a 5.7-liter V-8, producing an estimated 350 hp and 365 pounds-feet of torque. Vibe: The Vibe will be freshened for the 2006 model year. In the long term, GM is looking for a V-6-powered vehicle for that segment and may replace the Vibe with a vehicle on the Epsilon mid-sized car architecture. The Toyota-engineered Vibe is offered with a four-cylinder engine. Aztek: GM has no plans for a redesign. The end for the ugly-duckling vehicle likely will come in late 2004. Sport wagon: Pontiac will get a sport wagon off the Lambda architecture for the 2007 or 2008 model year. Projected volume is 60,000 units annually. It will debut with a V-6, followed by a V-8 a year later. Crossover sport van: For the 2005 model year, the Montana minivan will be replaced by a taller vehicle that will resemble an SUV but retain the cargo-and people-carrying features of a minivan.
billabong_star

Re: Pontiac News (macrosonic)

Post by billabong_star »

So the Vibe doesn't have much longer!?!?!?
ragingfish

Re: Pontiac News (billabong_star)

Post by ragingfish »

My parents almost STP when they heard the GA is getting dropped.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
macrosonic

Re: Pontiac News (billabong_star)

Post by macrosonic »

Since it's going to be freshened up in 2006, I bet it will be around until 2008 or 2009. If they decide they want a real GM (not Toyota) car with a V6 to fill that segment, then I guess the Vibe would eventually be replaced by that. Anyway, long-term plans have a way of changing drastically, so who knows.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

It's the first year. It's way too soon for them to say what will and won't happen. This is more or less speculative. Hell, the Aztek got a far longer run than anyone anticipated...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
meathead333

Re: Pontiac News (ragingfish)

Post by meathead333 »

yeah it did, i see ALOT of azteks compared to vibes or matrix around here
My myspace.com profile My 73' Bronco Cardomain page
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

I'm psyched to hear that some variation of both the Solstice and G6 will be coming to life though!

2009 PONTIAC G8
Shadow Realm

Post by Shadow Realm »

I think that the GA being dropped will actually help the Pontiac line-up. It has needed some new design changes and even if it doesn't have the name people will still have something new to see!The Solstice and the G6 will be a welcome addition to the Pontiac division. I actually saw the Solstice at a car show here in Florida and it's pretty impressive.
Abyss Monotone GT, 6 speed, Moon & Tunes, Power Group,and 16" Alloys. Soon you can see my Vibe GT at Shadowrealm's car pics but for now it is under construction!
ragingfish

Re: Pontiac News (Shadow Realm)

Post by ragingfish »

Unfortunately, the Solstice wasn't at this year's auto show...so I've actually never seen it in person...but the G6 was a BEAUTIFUL piece of machinery...amazing lines and curves...and those pop-out door handles are pretty cool too...

2009 PONTIAC G8
MonotoneSatellite

Post by MonotoneSatellite »

I saw and fell in love with the Solstice after the Car & Driver article last year. I hope to be driving one at some point. Though in all honesty, I had expected to see one out prior to 2007. The projected delay worries me. The more the push of it's release, the less likley we will see a car that resembles the original concept. After all, styles will change greatly in the next 3.5 - 4 years and Pontiac (along with all other companys) will be forced to adapt or fall off pace. I guess in the end, whatever they release will be cool by the stadards of the time in which it is released. I just hope it doesn't turn into another Fiero. Those cars were changed mid-stream from a parts bin econo car to a parts bin sports coupe/roadster. I just hope that Pontiac has the common sense to keep the Solstice out of commitees and focus groups.
NovaResource

Re: Pontiac News (MonotoneSatellite)

Post by NovaResource »

I may be trading in the Vibe for a Solstice coupe (not the roadster) if it ever does come out. About the Fiero, they killed it at the wrong time. They finally got it correct the last year of production. Just the like the 94-96 Impala SS.
red

Re: Pontiac News (NovaResource)

Post by red »

i had a '88 pontiac fiero w/v-6 and 5spd....that thing handled on rails and had a VERY stiff frame structure...great, fun car! did a fairbanks to anchorage to fairbanks trip in that car in 7.5 hrs! (720mi approx)..the only bugs left to work out was the fuel guage issue and the fact that the computer would shut down at -30* below (which was a problem at the time) otherwise a very cool car....the new impala ss is not like the OTHER impala ss no matter how much black paint they put on.....hope the vib stays around for awhile, at least till i'm done paying for it!! the ga neede a redo very badly, but i hope they keep the spirit of the car.
NovaResource

Post by NovaResource »

quote:Vibe: The Vibe will be freshened for the 2006 model year. In the long term, GM is looking for a V-6-powered vehicle for that segment and may replace the Vibe with a vehicle on the Epsilon mid-sized car architecture.This might be the Vibe's replacement:http://www.edmunds.com/news/conceptcars ... oto.htmlNo, it's not a rebirth of the old Pontiac Salsa show car, but the REV, a sporty crossover concept. (Photo by John Clor) The REV's aggressive nose design and flaring-nostril hood scoops are unmistakably Pontiac. (Photo by John Clor) A supercharged 3.0-liter V6 that makes 245 horsepower gives REV some punch to go with its go-fast looks. (Photo by John Clor) Clamshell-type gate to the cargo hold offers versatility, as does four doors and all-wheel drive. (Photo by John Clor) http://www.motortrend.com/future/concep ... /Exclusive First Look: Pontiac REVRally-inspired sport coupe conceptBy Editors of Motor TrendMotor Trend, April 2001 Take a rally-inspired sports coupe, mix in the versatility to carry friends and cargo, and you arrive at the Pontiac REV - an athletic crossover concept with a go-anywhere attitude.The distinctive exterior conceals an intriguing B-pillar-less door configuration. To open, the rear doors slide out and back parallel to the rear quarters and can be operated independent of the standard front doors. When open, people and their gear can enter and load quite easily through the gaping portal.Other exterior tricks include the compact cats-eye headlamps, achieved by placing the light sources at a 90-degree angle in the engine compartment. The light beams are reflected outward by mirrors, which respond to steering inputs and thus provide optimal light on the road even in turns.Under the front-hinged clamshell hood sits a transverse mounted 3.0-liter, 245-horsepower V-6 commanded via sequential manual transmission. All-wheel drive is essential for a hard-core recreation machine, but the REV takes it one further with a height-adjustable suspension. While the 19-inch wheels in front and 20-inchers in the rear speak to on-road performance driving, the dynamic suspension can dial in two more inches of ground clearance for off-pavement excursions.Loading camping gear is simplified with a combined lift- and tailgate giving access to the cargo area. The lower gate swings down behind the rear bumper in a parallel action for ease of loading and unloading. The clamshell glass liftgate swings up and reveals storage bins in the upper portions of the rear fenders. The built-in roof rack holds items such as mountain bikes and conceals the retractable sunroof.Four people ride firmly in thin seats that combine featherweight carbon-fiber structure with the Lycra-covered gel padding of bicycle saddles. The backrests of the rear and front passenger seats can be folded forward to store long items, such as surfboards, in the interior.The engine revs up with a push of the red start button, once the driver has identified himself via a coded mini chip-card. In the center console, a detachable, combined GPS-navigation/cell-phone/two-way radio with integrated Internet access from Motorola keeps the driver on top of things on and off the road as well as in business.A three-screen reconfigurable LCD display, allows the to driver select which data is on the center screen, for example speedometer, rev-counter or GPS, and which data is relegated to the side panels.All around, the REV is an interesting concept that pushes the boundaries of what a small coupe can be far beyond today's Sunfire.Other stories:http://www.cardesignnews.com/events/chi ... 0207-1.htm
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

quote:This might be the Vibe's replacement.I sure as hell hope not!UGGGGGGLLLLLLLLYYYYY!And completely has nothing in common with the Vibe, IMHO.

2009 PONTIAC G8
NovaResource

Post by NovaResource »

Well, it is just a concept at this time so it may get better looking as concepts usually look more funky or futuristic than the actual production version.I think it does have things in common with the Vibe. It's a 4-door, hatchback "crossover" vehicle with sportiness and functionality.The rear doors appear to be sliding "minivan-style", not suicide-style.Below are 2 (of 4) radios with integrated GPS receivers in special cradles. They can be removed quickly to keep driver and passengers in touch with each other and the car when they hit the trail. An integrated first aid kit and a toolbox are also on standby if needed. They are all hidden under the hatch when closed. Neat feature.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

The only thing I'm liking on it is the wheels. They're pretty sharp.

2009 PONTIAC G8
KSNeptune

Post by KSNeptune »

The Rev looks like some designer was told to make a sportier, meaner looking compliment to the Vibe. I can see it as sort of a cartoonish distortion, but with all the parts there. The roof rack, nose, hatch, roof line, etc., are all Vibe-ish. They've squashed it and smoothed it, and opened up the hood to imply there's a deeper breathing engine in there.Now if I could see one in Neptune Blue . . . . .KSNeptune
ragingfish

Re: Pontiac News (KSNeptune)

Post by ragingfish »

Not liking the "nostrils" on the hood...

2009 PONTIAC G8
RoundUp

Post by RoundUp »

What's wrong with the current Impala SS (except for the fact that it only comes in black)? When I drove one the other week, it made me want a vehicle with more than 123 hp.
NovaResource

Re: Pontiac News (RoundUp)

Post by NovaResource »

quote:What's wrong with the current Impala SS (except for the fact that it only comes in black)? When I drove one the other week, it made me want a vehicle with more than 123 hp.It's not RWD with a V8. That's what's wrong.
Sputnik

Re: Pontiac News 1

Post by Sputnik »

Hmm...Interesting. My lease on the Vibe is up in 2006, and as far away as that is I've already been wondering what will be available then and was considering a brand new 2006 vibe (if available).
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
red

Re: Pontiac News (RoundUp)

Post by red »

i like the v-6 3.8...my step sister had a buick gn that made a believer of hipo v-6's out of me...that car was fast, quiet and menacing...what gets me about the new impala ss is not so much the engine but the look...it just doesnt look "mean"...there needs to be more done to distinguish it from its lesser brethern.
macrosonic

Post by macrosonic »

The REV kinda reminds me of a funkier Mercury Cougar.
ragingfish

Re: Pontiac News (red)

Post by ragingfish »

I don't know what kind of engine was in my 89 Bonneville, but man, that was a beautiful machine...that baby responded like no other car I ever drove...it was fast, quiet, and a thrill to drive...Would love to see that kinda engine perhaps in the Vibe...thought it WAS big as hell...lol...

2009 PONTIAC G8
MonotoneSatellite

Post by MonotoneSatellite »

quote:I may be trading in the Vibe for a Solstice coupe (not the roadster) if it ever does come out. Here check out the link! The Solstice may be closer than 2007! The car pictured here appears to be a near productin ready car.http://www.autoweek.com/cat_print.mv?po ... 5&13428723
baltimore17

Post by baltimore17 »

quote:Vibe: The Vibe will be freshened for the 2006 model year. In the long term, GM is looking for a V-6-powered vehicle for that segment and may replace the Vibe with a vehicle on the Epsilon mid-sized car architecture. The Toyota-engineered Vibe is offered with a four-cylinder engine. GM just doesn't get it! I bought a Vibe because it can haul lots of cargo but gets upper-20s to low-30s MPG. Just about every V-6 out there runs in the low-20s at best (and in the upper teens when I'm behind the wheel). A V-6 Vibe would miss the whole point. I had a Saturn SW2 wagon for ten years because of the combination of respectible milage and cargo capacity. What does GM do? Drops the SW2 and rolls out the 400 pound heavier, V-6 LW wagon. No more Saturns on my list.By the time I replace the Vibe in 2012, I want the same cargo capacity, four seats, and a hybrid drivetrain with at least 40 MPG. Feed me a bunch of six cylinder SUVs and I'll be shopping elsewhere.
etoop

Re: Pontiac News (baltimore17)

Post by etoop »

I've only driven V6 cars until the vibe. And I agree with you. The Mileage is what sold me on the car. I was looking at the Saturn Vue but the mileage sucked. The Vibe is an awesome SUW
~Eric2004 Base SalsaAutomaticTwo TonePower PackageM & T Package
macrosonic

Re: Pontiac News (baltimore17)

Post by macrosonic »

Since you only buy a car once every 10 years, GM probably won't exactly consider you a targeted consumer for marketing! The people that buy or lease a new car every 3 years will get GM's attention. (of course in reality, GM doesn't listen to them either now that I think about it, I don't think GM listens to anybody!)
baltimore17

Post by baltimore17 »

quote:Since you only buy a car once every 10 years, GM probably won't exactly consider you a targeted consumer for marketing!This is true. On the other hand, two, six and four are the numbers of friends who bought the same model car after looking over, respectively, my 1975 Chevy Monza, 1982 Trans Am, and 1993 Saturn SW2. So, on average, GM gets a sale about every two years influenced by my wild-eyed enthusiasm for cars even if my wallet spends most of its time epoxyed shut Hey, today's my 365th day on GenVibe! Last year at this time, I was wondering if the Vibe would EVER get here. It did
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Quote, originally posted by NovaResource »I may be trading in the Vibe for a Solstice coupe (not the roadster) if it ever does come out.Read an article in todays paper some form of the solstice will be going into production -- supposed to be unveiled in Detroit today.Nick, make sure you got pics of that!

2009 PONTIAC G8
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Post by NSimkins »

Quote, originally posted by ragingfish »Read an article in todays paper some form of the solstice will be going into production -- supposed to be unveiled in Detroit today.Nick, make sure you got pics of that!Pics of the Solstice are in the NAIAS 2004 Gallery:http://gallery.genvibe.com/gallery/naias2004Browse through the pics - there are quite a few of the Solstice including more close-up shots coming Monday! We'll add more coverage of the Solstice here:http://www.genvibe.com/html/fe...shtml
ragingfish

Re: Pontiac News (NSimkins)

Post by ragingfish »

Mmmm....solstice....I'll take one please.

2009 PONTIAC G8