AC compressor won’t turn on until engine is warm??

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
PonchoGT

AC compressor won’t turn on until engine is warm??

Post by PonchoGT »

So, the A/C compressor of my 2009 Vibe GT works fine, the only issue is the compressor won’t turn on until the engine reaches operating temperature. So you can imagine, first start of the day during the hot summer months is absolutely terrible. I’ve been dealing with it for a while, but now I really just want to fix it once and for all. Do you think the problem could be low refrigerant, a sluggish capacity control valve or some other internal compressor issue? :?
tpollauf

Re: AC compressor won’t turn on until engine is warm??

Post by tpollauf »

PonchoGT wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:37 am Do you think the problem could be low refrigerant, a sluggish capacity control valve or some other internal compressor issue? :?
Possibly. Refrigerant and temperature are proportional, so when one goes up so does the other. However, once the compressor were to engage, one would think that the low pressure cutout switch would immediately drop out the compressor. Warmer outdoor temps and engine heat/temp WILL increase the refrigerant pressure well above the low pressure cutout point to where it should come on initially.

Also just curious on your mileage? I know you're well past the 299999 mark AND the 2nd gen Vibes odometers still keep rolling!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
PonchoGT

Re: AC compressor won’t turn on until engine is warm??

Post by PonchoGT »

My current mileage is 179,867. My ol' Vibe just keeps on truckin'. 8-)