Intermittent blue smoke

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
professorjedi

Intermittent blue smoke

Post by professorjedi »

Hey all,

I have a 2010 2.4L AWD 4-speed Vibe with 98K miles.

I'm starting to see a little blue smoke out of the tail pipe when I start the car and it doesn't happen every time. It usually happens when the car is cold and sat overnight. When I start the car after its run for awhile I don't see any smoke.

I've heard the 2.4L tends to burn oil as it gets older and that it may be because of poorly seated rings.

Should I worry about this? Or just replace oil as needed. I live in SoCal so I typically run 5W-20.

Thanks for any thoughts! :)

Mike
2010 2.4L AWD almost 100K miles
jolt

Re: Intermittent blue smoke

Post by jolt »

On old cars, before catalytic convertors were installed, start up smoke was cause by hard valve stem seals that were leaking oil as long as the engine did not burn a lot of oil. A catalytic convertor can cover up the oil smoke as the catalytic convertor gets very hot. The catalytic convertor can burn the oil before the smoke gets out the exhaust pipe so you do not see any smoke.

The 2.4L engine ring problem is from the oil control ring get plugged with carbon from trapped oil in the ring. Best way to avoid this is to change your motor oil often. Do not try to go 7,000 miles on an oil change. Once this carbon is formed in the oil control ring, it is too late to try and do anything about it other then tear the engine down, clean piston, and replace the rings. Remember that it took all those years and miles for this to happen and it can not be undone easily.

Change oil, watch oil level, and I would run 5-30w motor oil where you live. This may help slow the smoke a little.
professorjedi

Re: Intermittent blue smoke

Post by professorjedi »

jolt wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:56 am On old cars, before catalytic convertors were installed, start up smoke was cause by hard valve stem seals that were leaking oil as long as the engine did not burn a lot of oil. A catalytic convertor can cover up the oil smoke as the catalytic convertor gets very hot. The catalytic convertor can burn the oil before the smoke gets out the exhaust pipe so you do not see any smoke.

The 2.4L engine ring problem is from the oil control ring get plugged with carbon from trapped oil in the ring. Best way to avoid this is to change your motor oil often. Do not try to go 7,000 miles on an oil change. Once this carbon is formed in the oil control ring, it is too late to try and do anything about it other then tear the engine down, clean piston, and replace the rings. Remember that it took all those years and miles for this to happen and it can not be undone easily.

Change oil, watch oil level, and I would run 5-30w motor oil where you live. This may help slow the smoke a little.
Thanks so much for the info!!! :)
2010 2.4L AWD almost 100K miles