Roof rust - best cheap repair?

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
JackWade

Roof rust - best cheap repair?

Post by JackWade »

Hi all,
I picked up a 2006 Vibe in moonstone gray color last summer. It had some bad rock chips in the hood which is touched up and ultimately covered up with a lebra cover. The car roof was also very flaky. The prior owner no doubt scratched up the roof with surf boards. It was a Florida car. I scraped off those flakes and I now see 50 or so small rust spots. I’ve converted 1/3 using naval jelly and primer/touch up but can’t get all.

I looked at painting the roof but even places like Maaco are online quoting 2-3k. I don’t want to spend more than a few hundred. It sounds like even vinyl wrapping the top is not an option. The sunroof and antenna make it pricier/harder.

My bumper had some fading and dents and I just covered it up with a bumper step protector. I don’t mind doing the same on the roof if I can find some kind of adhesive rubber cover. I do not think I want to mess with spray primer and paints. Think I can find some local shop that would do that well between around 200?
2006 1.8 1ZZ-FE Moonstone gray with all options such as Moon & tunes package
tpollauf

Re: Roof rust - best cheap repair?

Post by tpollauf »

The short answer is NO! A good example is what a pint ... yeas I said pint, of paint costs for a small repair. My metallic orange (one of the most expensive colors) cost me $125/pint at PPG dealer. That's not counting activator or clearcoat or labor. If you find somebody who can do it between 500 & 1000 then I'd say go for it. The pandemic really screwed us on prices and labor costs. Jus a few years ago everything was somewhat reasonable ... not anymore :evil:
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

JackWade wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:28 pm I’ve converted 1/3 using naval jelly and primer/touch up but can’t get all.
sucks to have to deal with rust.

what about the other 2/3 makes it hard to get at with naval jelly?

Too bad Earl Scheib isn't around anymore

a long shot, but you might luck out and find a tech school or an autobody place with an apprentice/trainee that you get them to paint it for a big discount as a training exercise, understanding it won't be the best.

It's an 18 year old car, and if it were me I'd probably focus on stopping more rust and then making it look remotely tolerable. For $200, you'll likely be limited to rattle cans and do it yourself.
JackWade

Post by JackWade »

joatmon wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:44 am
JackWade wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:28 pm I’ve converted 1/3 using naval jelly and primer/touch up but can’t get all.
sucks to have to deal with rust.

what about the other 2/3 makes it hard to get at with naval jelly?

Too bad Earl Scheib isn't around anymore

a long shot, but you might luck out and find a tech school or an autobody place with an apprentice/trainee that you get them to paint it for a big discount as a training exercise, understanding it won't be the best.

It's an 18 year old car, and if it were me I'd probably focus on stopping more rust and then making it look remotely tolerable. For $200, you'll likely be limited to rattle cans and do it yourself.
Thanks. Good idea. I’ll look around re apprenticeship discounts. The rust areas are like little ant size scratches all primarily between the sunroof and windshield.

Just today I primed about 30 areas. There’s probably 60 more. Up close it looks like a polka dot roof…sigh
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

joatmon wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 4:44 am Too bad Earl Scheib isn't around anymore
Good one J-mon :lol: I still remember seeing the ads in our local newspaper back in the 70's where they would paint any car for $39.99 I'd hate to see what the quality of any such job would look like
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
JackWade

Post by JackWade »

I just looked up those ads. Wow, I wonder how they did that.