Strange noise when key moves from Acc to Start

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
stanchfi

Strange noise when key moves from Acc to Start

Post by stanchfi »

2006 Pontiac Vibe Base model
200k+ miles, no major issues/replacements

Recently went to the store, car was running fine, Came out about 5 min later, and the car had issues starting. NOT the same as you would get with a bad battery (Battery replaced 2 months ago) or a loose cable, it was almost as if it paused briefly when starting.

Drove home, ran fine, parked, turned off fans/radio to try to start it again, and I noticed a sighing/paper bag/gear noise when I moved the key from Acc to the Start position. The noise mimics the temp and gas gages coming up into place, and does the same thing when turning from Start back to Acc with the key. The sound seems like it is coming from below the dash, maybe drivers side kick panel

I tried starting the car and it started, but had the same pause in the starting process.
Video - https://www.youtube.com/shorts/UFwrh4QGalA

I let the car sit for 30 min or so, went back out and tried the key on/off a few times, and the noise was still happening, but when I went to start it, the starter sounded normal and ran normal.

Video (warning: loud beeps) - https://www.youtube.com/shorts/cqSHfzMkPRs

Was the key on/off sound always there, but I did not notice it because of the radio/fans?
If not, what could be making the noise? Could it be the starter?

thanks
-James
stanchfi

Re: Strange noise when key moves from Acc to Start

Post by stanchfi »

I took a closer look/listen to this, and it seems to be coming from the ignition/column.
My wife said it sounds like velcro being separated.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

The noise has me stumped. If it were my car, I'd look at the IG1 relay in the junction block under the dash. And then I'd try pulling the 10 Amp GAUGE fuse while turning the car to IG, see if that makes the noise go away.

To address the hesitant start, you might want to replace the starter relay which is in the same junction block.
stanchfi

Post by stanchfi »

I never did figure out what the noise is/was, and still happens.
However the starting issue was the starter, which has since been replace.

thanks